How many of you are vegetarians?

I've been vegetarian for little over 6 months now.
My personal reasoning for becoming one was because I researched the way animals are treated and the extreme hardship and death they face as a consequence of us as humans, to test products on them, eat them and in extreme cases, torture them.
I found it morally wrong and couldnt face being a part of that 'culture' so to speak.

Obviously other vegetarians have different reasons for their choice in becoming one.

I try not to 'preach' to people about the choice i've made, but i do find myself sometimes explaining and informing people why, when i have to defend my views and actions.

I understand fully that you do get vegetarians 'preaching' 24/7 and condemning people for eating meat, and this can cause some annoyance to people, but on the flip side you find that you get people who eat animals who seem to openly go out of their way to condemn vegetarians.

I think there is always going to be differences in opinions between people on the subject and it is always going to rile someone up, whatever 'side' they are on.

I've been vegetarian for little over 6 months now.
My personal reasoning for becoming one was because I researched the way animals are treated and the extreme hardship and death they face as a consequence of us as humans, to test products on them, eat them and in extreme cases, torture them.
I found it morally wrong and couldnt face being a part of that 'culture' so to speak.

Obviously other vegetarians have different reasons for their choice in becoming one.

I try not to 'preach' to people about the choice i've made, but i do find myself sometimes explaining and informing people why, when i have to defend my views and actions.

I understand fully that you do get vegetarians 'preaching' 24/7 and condemning people for eating meat, and this can cause some annoyance to people, but on the flip side you find that you get people who eat animals who seem to openly go out of their way to condemn vegetarians.

I think there is always going to be differences in opinions between people on the subject and it is always going to rile someone up, whatever 'side' they are on.

Right on the money, I agree. :)

I have tried looking but haven't seen a thread on this topic? but maybe I am totaly wrong. I was wondering how many of you are vegetarian and did The Smiths and Morrissey inspire you?

I think I am well on the way, and yes, Morrissey did inspire me. As my husband is Pakistani, we eat a lot of Pakistani food, and I'm not a curry person, but love the barbecue. I have, however, suffered qualms and pangs of guilt for years now, largely due to "Meat Is Murder," but also to the fact that I love animals. Seeing baby lambs on our train trip from Birmingham to London yesterday decided me. A friend took us to a fantastic Pakistani restaurant in the East End last night, and while the guys enjoyed the tandoori chicken, seekh kebabs, etc., I ate aloo zeera and chawal instead. Tonight I eschewed nihari for pasta and took myself to an Italian place while my husband scarfed his nihari. I think maybe I can do this! :thumb:

I think I am well on the way, and yes, Morrissey did inspire me. As my husband is Pakistani, we eat a lot of Pakistani food, and I'm not a curry person, but love the barbecue. I have, however, suffered qualms and pangs of guilt for years now, largely due to "Meat Is Murder," but also to the fact that I love animals. Seeing baby lambs on our train trip from Birmingham to London yesterday decided me. A friend took us to a fantastic Pakistani restaurant in the East End last night, and while the guys enjoyed the tandoori chicken, seekh kebabs, etc., I ate aloo zeera and chawal instead. Tonight I eschewed nihari for pasta and took myself to an Italian place while my husband scarfed his nihari. I think maybe I can do this! :thumb:

YES YOU CAN! :thumb:
Good luck!

Awww, that's the spirit. :thumb:

I had already started going veg before Meat is Murder came out, but that song really guilted me into picking up the pace. I'm not a Meat is Murder vegetarian, but the moment I heard that song, I knew it was an undeniable truth.

It's been twenty years since I've eaten any meat at all, and it's been a pleasure. Good luck to you. :)

Well, nothing miraculous really. I'd had them before and started to pretty much avoid the non-veggie ones, it's just a case now of being vigilant and strong-willed about other things, like desserts etc. Never said I wasn't working at it. :p

i wasn't actually talking about your change in gelatin eating, just the removal of hoof from haribo. i've only just started seeing the veggie haribo and am a little bit too excited. i'm not actually even that keen on haribo to be honest. fizzy cola bottles are the exception.

if you've been trying to cut down on your consumption of "the boiled bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses" though, (thanks wikipedia) then you're definitely going about it the right way.

but to be honest, i don't really care what other people eat.

:thumb:

Seriously? Are they vegan? I'd always stayed clear of that sort of stuff cause i thought it was gelatinous - are they tasty? Where can you buy them?

Haribo virgin. x

just veggie as far as i know. i seen them in one shop around here. they're also marked as halal so maybe go for a muslim owned/operated shop near you.

good luck with your first haribo experience. go for the fizzy coke bottles. :thumb:

just veggie as far as i know. i seen them in one shop around here. they're also marked as halal so maybe go for a muslim owned/operated shop near you.

good luck with your first haribo experience. go for the fizzy coke bottles. :thumb:

ewe, they say halal - that scares me. why would they say that if they're not talking of animal derivatives....
should have said, i'm a very paranoid vegan. I think i may remain a virgin for this lifetime where Haribo is concerned.

Awe well - win some, loose some.

Talk about willpower, I turned down peanut butter rice crispie treats at Easter yesterday because of the marshmallows.

It. was. so. hard.

Talk about willpower, I turned down peanut butter rice crispie treats at Easter yesterday because of the marshmallows.

It. was. so. hard.

the american taste pallet and the scottish one are worlds apart... you'd have to tie me down and threaten my cats before i would eat peanut butter.:lbf:

good for you though resisting something you love cause you know it's wrong!!:thumb:
you deserve a nice vegetarian treat for that!;)

I'm slowly moving toward vegetarianism. It's been a whole month now. :) While some will shun me for currently being pescetarian, it's a huge change for me, cutting meat out completely as I'm a big meat eater. I picked up a few vegetarian cookbooks from the library and am working on educating myself to more food options that involve zero meat.

I'm slowly moving toward vegetarianism. It's been a whole month now. :) While some will shun me for currently being pescetarian, it's a huge change for me, cutting meat out completely as I'm a big meat eater. I picked up a few vegetarian cookbooks from the library and am working on educating myself to more food options that involve zero meat.
Well done. I wish you good luck.

I've been veg for around 6 - 7 months now. I absolutely love it. The very thought of eating an animal is now enough to make me sick. Every time I see a dish of meat, I try to imagine the face of the poor animal that the meat was torn from. It's all so sad.

Well done Kelley. I think vegans/veggies forget that becoming veggie is often quite a challenge in the early stages... but once you've been veggie for a while, it's second nature! So struggle on!!!
As for being pescetarian :sick: fish sucks - i've no idea why anyone would want to eat fish (never mind ethical/environmental arguments)! I remember as a child (around 10 yrs old) going to my friends house... they knew i was veggie, but they served me breaded fish and chips. I didn't have the nerve to say that i've never eaten fish, so i took over an hour to eat the breadcrumbs around the fish, after which I vomited in their living room floor (they were least chuffed and i was red faced:p!).

Tags
*check out the b12 deficiency dsitehatesu2 flax is god flax is sexy ihatethissite ii do too just one of me killmeat meat is dinner meat is murder meat stick mmm chicken veggie brigade
Back
Top Bottom