How many gay encounters has Morrissey actually had?

Judging by the line, "I'm lying here wide to receive," I would suggest that he has engaged in his fair share of homosexual encounters. However, the song also makes it quite clear that many of them were not exactly gay in nature; if anything, they were, ultimately, depressing: "turn on, process, and then just go. And I've never felt quite so alone as I do right now."
There are many references to sex in all of his songs but I'm to pissed to quote them... um...
I will find some, it a full on MOZ musical tonite :tiphat:

I feel like that for most of The Smiths and early part of his solo career Morrissey spoke about heterosexual disappointment and homosexual longing. Around the Vauxhall years in '94 (Jake, hint, hint) the lyrics (when sexual in nature) became almost exclusively about homosexul experience and fulfilment. I hate using the tags 'hetero' and 'homo' but if I have to label it there does seem to be a clear delineation point in the autobiographical shift in what Morrissey's sexual encounters have been. Having said that I'm sure Morrissey did have gay encounters previous to '94, but I think most long term followers of his noted a definite change in the more sexual nature of his lyrics around that time.

'95 in particular with Sunny, Whatever Happens, Swallow, Best Friend (which most fans read as coda for 'boyfriend') and The Operation were particularly explicit in describing a homosexual relationship gone bad.

Judging by the line, "I'm lying here wide to receive," I would suggest that he has engaged in his fair share of homosexual encounters. However, the song also makes it quite clear that many of them were not exactly gay in nature; if anything, they were, ultimately, depressing: "turn on, process, and then just go. And I've never felt quite so alone as I do right now."

Be careful of quoting Maladjusted songs around these parts Derek...none too popular. Wide to Receive is one of my favorite songs. The lyrics as you point out are quite an insight into at least his feelings at the time. There is no proof or promise that sex solves the problem of loneliness. In fact, it can deepen one's resolve that they are meant, or in Morrissey's case cursed, to be alone.

Sex can be harmful to a sensitive heart regardless of the sexual partner. If I can say only one thing about love, it is that it requires a large amount of compromise to make it last. A lack of compromise, a willingness to go it alone rather than bend to this necessity of love to live one's own truth is what drew me to him so completely. We have this one thing in common, and I treasure it even if I know now how destructive it is.

Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body...he knows. Every time I had a chance at love I decided to forgo that uncomfortable necessity of compromise to secure my independence of feeling of self. Forget "The World of Morrissey" the more interesting record compilation would be "The Mind of Morrissey." Every emotion he has ever felt has been filtered through his brain even though he sings from the heart thus distancing himself from the emotion of the lyrics in a way that makes them seem wry in their delivery. Well enough of that. I have posted this video before, but it is one of my favorites after all so here it is:

After watching the video again, it also struck me his use of words "almost anything you'd care to LEAVE" as opposed to "anything you'd care to GIVE." he is anticipating a departure with the use of the word leave. Typical him, typical him, typical him he started something and he is way too sure.

Last edited:
Be careful of quoting Maladjusted songs around these parts Derek...none too popular. Wide to Receive is one of my favorite songs. The lyrics as you point out are quite an insight into at least his feelings at the time. There is no proof or promise that sex solves the problem of loneliness. In fact, it can deepen one's resolve that they are meant or in Morrissey's case cursed to be alone.

Sex can be harmful to a sensitive heart regardless of the sexual partner. If I can say only one thing about love, is that it requires a large amount of compromise to make it last. A lack of compromise, a willingness to go it alone rather than bend to this necessity of love to live one's own truth is what drew me to him so completely. We have this one thing in common, and I treasure it even if I know now how destructive it is.

Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body...he knows. Every time I had a chance at love I decided to forgo that uncomfortable necessity of compromise to secure my independence of feeling of self. Forget "The World of Morrissey" the more interesting record compilation would be "The Mind of Morrissey." Every emotion he has ever felt has been filtered through his brain even though he sings from the heart thus distancing himself from the emotion of the lyrics in a way that makes them seem wry in their delivery. Well enough of that. I have posted this video before, but it is one of my favorites after all so here it is:

Well thanks a lot Evennow, for making me all emotional at 5 in the morning. I've get to get through the rest of the day, you know!

Well thanks a lot Evennow, for making me all emotional at 5 in the morning. I've get to get through the rest of the day, you know!

Sorry my friend. I am at the tail end of my day here in the desert of America and some things just inspire me to write. Sorry for "putting you off your eggs" or whatever the saying is over there. :)

Truly not my intention. A clear head and a clean heart and you are good to go! You have those I suspect :thumb:

Sorry my friend. I am at the tail end of my day here in the desert of America and some things just inspire me to write. Sorry for "putting you off your eggs" or whatever the saying is over there. :)

Truly not my intention. A clear head and a clean heart and you are good to go! You have those I suspect :thumb:
Seriously though, Morrissey said he doesn't like music videos but those images really enhance the song for me. The music lends itself to open vistas and cruising. Would have been a good film soundtrack, I think. It's funny how we meet at the start and tail end of our days.

Seriously though, Morrissey said he doesn't like music videos but those images really enhance the song for me. The music lends itself to open vistas and cruising. Would have been a good film soundtrack, I think. It's funny how we meet at the start and tail end of our days.

Not so funny when I have to get up at 4am to watch Wimbledon or the British Open! You Euros/Brits really need to reset your clocks to good ole' USA time. ;)

Seriously, many of his songs lend themselves to traveling. The walking in the Tomorrow video, driving in the My Love Life video, or the movement in the November Spawned a Monster video are excellent examples of this.

Not so funny when I have to get up at 4am to watch Wimbledon or the British Open! You Euros/Brits really need to reset your clocks to good ole' USA time. ;)

Seriously, many of his songs lend themselves to traveling. The walking in the Tomorrow video, driving in the My Love Life video, or the movement in the November Spawned a Monster video are excellent examples of this.
Ahh, there you go again. You're enjoyment of British institutions makes me smile. Funnily enough, 'What Difference Does It Make' found it's way onto a mainstream budget CD of 'driving songs'. One of these 'themed' releases catering to a particular demographic.

Ahh, there you go again. You're enjoyment of British institutions makes me smile. Funnily enough, 'What Difference Does It Make' found it's way onto a mainstream budget CD of 'driving songs'. One of these 'themed' releases catering to a particular demographic.

What is not to love? Monty Python, Eastenders, Coupling, I am enthralled by it all. Especially the accents. When I hear the word nothing spoken as nuffin my heart melts a little. From posh to cockney it is all so delicious to the ears. But you can keep The Spice Girls if that is OK with you?

Just like the New York Dolls, The Cure, Flock of Seagulls, Kajagoogoo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Reginald Kenneth Dwight...etc. Steve USED androgyny in his lyrics to sell records in Brittin to gays, but he is far from being gay. Steve has boned so many chicks, but he does have a huge man crush on Buster Poindexter.

Just like the New York Dolls, The Cure, Flock of Seagulls, Kajagoogoo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Reginald Kenneth Dwight...etc. Steve USED androgyny in his lyrics to sell records in Brittin to gays, but he is far from being gay. Steve has boned so many chicks, but he does have a huge man crush on Buster Poindexter.
i hate you so much

He made a lot of songs instead of having gay sex and it has been mentioned before that the reason for him sweating so much onstage is because he never had sex.
He's a sad case in that he wants to be penetrated to feel liberated but the fear of pain gets in the way. He's something as unique as a no action pillow biter.

Back
Top Bottom