How long will Morrissey be out on Sick Leave?

A

Anonymous

1. Less than 6 months
2. Up to, but not more than a year
3. 1 to 2 years
4. 2 to 5 years
5. This is the end.

Until the book is published. A year max.

The never-ending nostalgia tour wasn't doing anyone or anything any favours except Morrissey's bank account and ego.
For those of us who want Morrissey to return to putting out high-quality pop music, this break can only be a good thing, although we obviously hope he makes a full and swift recovery.
He's got to realise that offering Action Is My Middle Name and People Are The Same a full five years (i.e. longer than the lifetime of the Smiths) after his last album was recorded is simply not good enough to attract a serious record deal, and he's got to stop blaming everyone else for this.
If they really are the best songs that Jesse and Boz have come up with in 5 years (and I really hope they're not), he's got to patch things up with his previous songwriters (Street, Whyte, Marr, anyone) or get in some new blood.
He's got to stop putting out ugly, predictable, bad-taste diatribes on True to You, and try and regain the subtlety, wit and wisdom of yore.
He needs to lay low for a while - at least 6 months, and try and recapture some of that mystique that used to serve him so well.
Get well soon, S Morrissey, but please reflect on your situation, and try to follow a new trajectory.

2067192621_f555720f30.jpg

The never-ending nostalgia tour wasn't doing anyone or anything any favours except Morrissey's bank account and ego.
For those of us who want Morrissey to return to putting out high-quality pop music, this break can only be a good thing, although we obviously hope he makes a full and swift recovery.
He's got to realise that offering Action Is My Middle Name and People Are The Same a full five years (i.e. longer than the lifetime of the Smiths) after his last album was recorded is simply not good enough to attract a serious record deal, and he's got to stop blaming everyone else for this.
If they really are the best songs that Jesse and Boz have come up with in 5 years (and I really hope they're not), he's got to patch things up with his previous songwriters (Street, Whyte, Marr, anyone) or get in some new blood.
He's got to stop putting out ugly, predictable, bad-taste diatribes on True to You, and try and regain the subtlety, wit and wisdom of yore.
He needs to lay low for a while - at least 6 months, and try and recapture some of that mystique that used to serve him so well.
Get well soon, S Morrissey, but please reflect on your situation, and try to follow a new trajectory.

Not doing anyone any favors except for Morrissey? Is that why he kept selling out? Is that way the reviews of his shows outside of the cult of Morrissey were stellar as well?

I saw him on the tour three times and each performance was amazing. I went with or made new friends each time and everyone I saw him with were blown away as well. And these weren't just diehard friends who have seen him hundreds of times.

I know Morrissey has some pretty intense fans who follow him everywhere and think he can do no wrong, but the flip side of that--the obsessive haters who stalk and follow his every move just to condemn him are equally, if not more delusional.

He might not have a new album out, but I hardly would call it a nostalgia tour in the traditional sense. If he was only in it for the money he would be playing The Smiths greatest hits plus Everyday is Like Sunday, the More You Ignore Me, and Irish Heart, English Blood. He doesn't. Near the end he was playing more Smiths songs than ever before, but throughout the tour he delved fairly deep into his catalogue and often time shunned some of his better known work. His shows early one were disproportionatley made up of his songs from list two albums. Are people nostalgic for Years of Refusal already?

If he was only in it as some sort of money-grabbing greatest hits tour he would have played This Charming Man instead of Maladjusted or Suedehead instead of Fantastic Bird. And regardless of what you think of his new material (I am not too keen on it myself) he does play new material.

Morrissey is a strong live artist and there is nothing wrong with him focusing on touring or live concerts as opposed to recording. Other than the effects it may have on his health of course.

How long should he be out? Logical answer is until he's fully healthy and can handle such a "tough" touring schedule. I've never seen someone with so many health issues, I fear for his health as he's probably got yes men doctor's working for him. Get a physical/blood work done, figure out what it is that is ailing you and get healthy. It stupid he came back so quick.

That being said, I feel he'll be out a little longer on this one, 1 year or under.

3 months, then he'll be back playing a few summer festivals.
Reality check time: he's not going to release another album. The autobiography will never be released, for the same reason (he can't find someone willing to pay enough to put it out).
Touring is all he has left.

3 months, then he'll be back playing a few summer festivals.
Reality check time: he's not going to release another album. The autobiography will never be released, for the same reason (he can't find someone willing to pay enough to put it out).
Touring is all he has left.

The autobiography will be released one day because number one, any publisher would be mad to give up an opportunity such as this one. The sales will be phenomenal, it has been so long awaited.
Number two, Moz will never let it go. If he does finally finish writing it he will go through hell and high water to get it published, I am sure about that.
It may even put to rest some of the queries we all have about him and journos would have a field day with that information.

He already HAS finished writing the autobiography, same as the new solo album which has been written and waiting to go for the past couple of years. Publishers have publically made offers to work with him to publish it, but he has not been able to agree terms. In a recent interview he said he would burn it if it wasn't published soon.
If he hasn't been able to get enough money for it in the last couple of years, I don't know why anyone expects the publishers to suddenly offer loads more and the book to suddenly materialise.
As with the new solo record, it's only going to appear if Moz backs down and either agrees to a smaller paycheck or is willing to do whatever publicity, signing tours etc the publishers want.

He already HAS finished writing the autobiography, same as the new solo album which has been written and waiting to go for the past couple of years. Publishers have publically made offers to work with him to publish it, but he has not been able to agree terms. In a recent interview he said he would burn it if it wasn't published soon.
If he hasn't been able to get enough money for it in the last couple of years, I don't know why anyone expects the publishers to suddenly offer loads more and the book to suddenly materialise.
As with the new solo record, it's only going to appear if Moz backs down and either agrees to a smaller paycheck or is willing to do whatever publicity, signing tours etc the publishers want.

Knowing him he will publish it himself or go all pre victorian on us and publish under a female name. The sort of thing he would do...

"I had a really bad dream. It lasted 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days."

I hope he'll take a year at least, maybe more. He badly needs a loooooooong rest, poor thing.

Hard to say - the fact that he's mentioned that he is hopeful to play in June in an interview within a day or so of saying he was advised to retire certainly indicates a misalignment somewhere.

Listen - I have no doubt the man is quite sick, but unless he is terminally ill there should be no reason he can't shake whatever he's got in a month or two with proper rest, medication, and medical attention. Follow that up with another couple months of enjoying life and regaining his strength and..... hopefully back in business. He obviously likes to tour and is only, what, 53, 54? (I forget my own age sometimes too.)

If he sits it out for 1, 2, 3 years..... well, it's not going to get any easier to tour, get a record deal, etc. Not to mention his band members will likely move on to other projects.

My sense is that he will be on a stage somewhere in 2013. Where? Who knows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom