How excited are you about the new album?

How excited are you about the new SP Morrissey album (Low in High School)?

• Total voters
Considerably, although apprehensive that the album's content will be politically dominated. I've always thought that Morrissey is at his best when writing on the 'trials and tribulations' of everyday life.

I'm intrigued rather than excited, was the same for New Orders 'Music Complete' and James 'La petite mort'

I've often found that the most subversive art is often that which is not overtly political. As Bowie said on Morrissey, "He'll take a small subject matter and make a very grandiose statement of it." November Spawned a Monster, as a social statement, is a far more effective song than World Peace. Morrissey and the Smiths' music was inherently subversive and anti-establishment, and we didn't need to be told that 'each time you vote, you support the process' to know it.

I've often found that the most subversive art is often that which is not overtly political. As Bowie said on Morrissey, "He'll take a small subject matter and make a very grandiose statement of it." November Spawned a Monster, as a social statement, is a far more effective song than World Peace. Morrissey and the Smiths' music was inherently subversive and anti-establishment, and we didn't need to be told that 'each time you vote, you support the process' to know it.

No millions of people don't know that about voting or think of themselves as ignorant of their taxes use despite them paying it. Most don't even know the rate they pay. Even if people do know that voting supports a process it doesn't mean that they're happy with the system, obviously many aren't, and a statement emphasizing the conflicted state that a lot of voters find themselves in isn't without merit. It's the same as when morrissey makes a statement about depression. People know they're depressed and that depression is terrible but still take comfort in a line sympathetic to their predicament

I've got my fingers crossed for a career defining swan-song album.
But I've got my arse clenched for some sort of smorgasbord of pseudo-political nonsense.

I don't think his current band are capable of writing a great album. Boz, possibly. But not Jesse, and Morrissey seems to prefer his work these days.

That said... it's Morrissey... there are bound to be at least a few good songs.

Between buying his new album and the various formats of the new Queen Is Dead, it's going to be a tough Christmas.

excitement is not an emotion of which i am capable

I'm excited about how bad it's going to be. I long for him, as a multi-millionaire, to sing again about social and economic justice.

Good times ahead. It's going to be hilarious.

Anything other than a very political correct album would be a surprise, not that I will ever listen to it. This will be his 4th or 5th album I have not listened to at all.

I wonder if this album will be a bit like watching CNN and BBC at the same time?

Will he throw in a Fox News style song just for the hell of it?

excitement is not an emotion of which i am capable

You could say that again and not the only emotion you are incapable of. Canadians seem to be even more weird than the americans keep telling us.

I'm excited about how bad it's going to be. I long for him, as a multi-millionaire, to sing again about social and economic justice.

Good times ahead. It's going to be hilarious.

Genius post, please take your pick from the fruit bowl :thumb:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

My first emotion is simply relief that Morrissey is releasing an album again. I remember back in the days after Maladjusted when it looked like Morrissey would never be able to get another major record deal again. The fact that he will now have released 5 more albums is pretty amazing to me really.

The last 4 albums have also all been good as well. Certainly not all career highlights, but there have been several strong songs on each (and some solid b-sides).

I agree with others that I hope there will be personal songs along with the political, but I'm confident that there will be enough to enjoy on the album.

My first emotion is simply relief that Morrissey is releasing an album again. I remember back in the days after Maladjusted when it looked like Morrissey would never be able to get another major record deal again. The fact that he will now have released 5 more albums is pretty amazing to me really.

The last 4 albums have also all been good as well. Certainly not all career highlights, but there have been several strong songs on each (and some solid b-sides).

I agree with others that I hope there will be personal songs along with the political, but I'm confident that there will be enough to enjoy on the album.

Even a self acclaimed fan of his latest works struggle to defend it to the point of ending up admitting that he is nowhere near the man he used to be.

His fans live in the past and listening to his new releases are a habit like sleeping and eating. I doubt anyone follows him feeling any joy these days.

I am so sorry for those that missed out on him when he was relevant.

Even a self acclaimed fan of his latest works struggle to defend it to the point of ending up admitting that he is nowhere near the man he used to be.

His fans live in the past and listening to his new releases are a habit like sleeping and eating. I doubt anyone follows him feeling any joy these days.

I am so sorry for those that missed out on him when he was relevant.

A "self acclaimed fan" on a message board. You do know that most people who post on message boards tend to be fans don't you? :lbf: They are the normal ones...

And if you had bothered to read my post properly before misquoting me, you'd have noticed that I said his last four albums were "not all career highlights". You do understand what the word "all" means don't you? I personally wouldn't rank Years of Refusal up there with his best stuff, for example, but ROTT I would. They have certainly all been significant improvements on Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted at any rate, as the reviews have testified.

Anything other than a very political correct album would be a surprise, not that I will ever listen to it. This will be his 4th or 5th album I have not listened to at all.

I wonder if this album will be a bit like watching CNN and BBC at the same time?

Will he throw in a Fox News style song just for the hell of it?

" This will be his 4th or 5th album I have not listened to at all."

But still having an opinion, and posting about it, based on what exactly?
Why do you do that?
There are a lot things I never saw or heard but to have an opinion on them is something I can't understand.

I'm really glad to listen to the news. In my case, an year ago, I quit my job and went to the UK for learning English (but I'm not young). I wanted to go there once in my life because I used to be a huge fan of him. I don't listen to any music a lot as before but it was like a kind of homework left over from the past.

So when I went to gig of the smiths-copy band in Manchester, I felt like going back to the past. I was just happy there. (the copy vocalist sang a song exactly as the same as Morrissey and sounded pretty better than Morrissey.)

I think I would buy his new album with my enthusiasm.

" This will be his 4th or 5th album I have not listened to at all."

But still having an opinion, and posting about it, based on what exactly?
Why do you do that?
There are a lot things I never saw or heard but to have an opinion on them is something I can't understand.

Cause I am bored, perhaps?

No, It is just so painfully obvious that he became nothing of worth to anyone. Even a quick listen makes you realise there is nothing left of his unique talent that died ages ago.

Maybe the times changed making his type of music irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom