How d'you think 'Years Of Refusal' will rank alongside the other 12 Moz/Smith albums?

Where do you think 'Years of Refusal' will rank alongside the other 12 albums?

• Total voters

Maurice E

Morrissey's 13th studio album (including Smiths) is released in September.
But judging from the songs you’ve heard and what else you know about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Years_of_Refusal where do you think it will rank along the other 12?
The scores below are taken from last year’s mass M Solo poll.

1. Queen is dead 9.1
2. Meat is murder 8.9
3. Smiths 8.7
4. Vauxhall and I 8.6
5. Strangeways 8.5
6. Your Arsenal 8.4
7. Viva Hate 8.0
8. Quarry 7.9
9. Southpaw 7.5
10. Ringleader 7.5
11. Kill Uncle 7.2
12. Maladjusted 7.0

Last edited:
Re: How d'you think 'Years Of Refusal' will rank alongside the other 12 Moz/Smith alb

I'm going with the 8th slot, mainly on the strength of "Something Is Squeezing My Skull", which I still think is one of the best songs he's written in over a decade.

8th on that list isn't bad at all.

Re: How d'you think 'Years Of Refusal' will rank alongside the other 12 Moz/Smith alb

I mistakenly voted as if it was only Moz solo records (I thought 12 rankings was suspiciously high).

I'd rather listen to Vauxhall than a Smiths record anyway, but following this list, I'll be very positive and put it above Viva Hate at #7.

At this stage either 1st or 12th.

Well, perhaps a little optimistically, I’ve gone for 7th, yes better than Viva Hate!
Sadly, I think Moz’s lyrical skills are much reduced these days. The humour, the sharpness and the subtlety seem to have deserted him. But if there are some cracking tunes, and the lyrics aren’t cringey at least (i.e. no more kegs between legs, 15 miles of shit, and being entered with a key!), it could be a marked improvement on the last two.
In the words of Q magazine, a classic Morrissey album is long overdue.
Main grounds for optimism are; the time Alain’s had to come up with new compositions, and the competitiveness that there is now to supply Moz with tunes (Boz didn’t get any pieces of music chosen for Ringleader).
I honestly can’t believe ‘That’s How People’ will be on there. If it is, I’d have to lower my expectations quite considerably. And if Paris is the lead-off single, well, it’s pleasant enough but I’m hoping there are some much more upbeat and urgent songs to choose from…

Last edited:

I voted 13th.

I don't believe it will really rank there but I figure no matter what it will be better than I predicted :)

judging by what i've heard, it'll be the worst yet and that's not an insignificant achievement.

judging by what i've heard, it'll be the worst yet and that's not an insignificant achievement.
can you please elaborate..you mean by the songs we knew already which you dont like obviously?:p

These polls/threads are getting weirder...
How will a Morrissey album no-one has heard rank alongside Morrissey albums that have been heard.
Will fans on the biggest Morrissey website listen to his next album.
And, the piéce de résistance, what Morrissey/Smiths songs do we all shite along to.

Ye Gods....

How will a Morrissey album no-one has heard rank alongside Morrissey albums that have been heard.
And, the piéce de résistance, what Morrissey/Smiths songs do we all shite along to.

Ye Gods....

I understand why you changed your avatar. :D

Ye Gods....

fair comment but not entirely true.
we actually know quite a bit about the new album. the producer, most of the song titles and who wrote them (7 or 8 Whyte, 3 or 4 Boorer). other tidbits, e.g. Boz describes Black Cloud as a 'classic' (I think).
and we've actually heard four songs live plus one of the other songs from the session (my dearest love) has been released as a b-side.
I reckon we know enough about it to have a fair impression. I'm pretty certain it'll be better than Ringleader...

Last edited:

fair comment but not entirely true.
we actually know quite a bit about the new album. the producer, most of the song titles and who wrote them (7 or 8 Whyte, 3 or 4 Boorer). other tidbits, e.g. Boz describes Black Cloud as a 'classic' (I think).
and we've actually heard four songs live plus one of the other songs from the session (my dearest love) has been released as a b-side.
I reckon we know enough about it to have a fair impression. I'm pretty certain it'll be better than Ringleader...

I understand where you're coming from. My point is that one cannot compare finished albums with an album that hasn't been released/heard yet, irrespective of whatever clues we have about it. It's speculation at best.
Hopefully, we will all be spectacularly pleased come February 2009 :)

Back
Top Bottom