How does Moz know such a lot about life?

Lost

For a bloke who has always been pretty reclusive, not had many relationships, never married, had kids and all that kind of 'everyday' stuff, he does seem to have a remarkable insight into the 'realities' and pitfalls of these things, which is evident in his songs.

How does he do it?

He does know and understand things more than anybody I have "known", this is why I love him.

For a bloke who has always been pretty reclusive, not had many relationships, never married, had kids and all that kind of 'everyday' stuff, he does seem to have a remarkable insight into the 'realities' and pitfalls of these things, which is evident in his songs.

How does he do it?

Morrissey has a talent and imagination to write about things he's interested.
Living in a modern world most of us are surrounded by too many information about everything, Morrissey is one of us.
He has a sister who has two children and some other freinds who also have kids (notably Boz for instance).

You don't have to be a murderer to write about a song about him/her.

You look like my mother.

But to be out of these things, it does you have analysis and a vision of the life, That to be being inside do not help to analyze. I THINK IS One ancient wisdom.

I look like MY mother...

... she's one helluva looker

I think Morrissey's viewpoint on life is different - yet he has this uncanny ability to connect (with me anyhow!) ...GENIUS

A songwriter is a storyteller. To be good needs to study the craft of storytelling/songwriting. In this sense as detached onlooker and student.

Also to to read a lot
Watch films
listen to many different people's music

To observe the world around them. From conversations overheard on the street, family experiences, friends tales.

To practice developing their own style of writing.

To be aware of their own emotional responses to what life brings them.

I think Morrissey's writing is a mixture of storytelling and his own understanding of what happens to him and how he deals with it.

Morrissey writes songs on many topics

love, desire, sadness, murder, the meaning of life, anger at injustice, complaint against authority figures, death, crime, obsession - a wider range than most songwriters I can think of.

But how many has he written on "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you"
or "This conflict was hard to deal with but has strengthened our relationship"?

This does not mean he has no experience of these, but chooses to write about other things.
This is what sets him apart from the more traditional pop song writers.

However, though I enjoy listening to Morrissey I also enjoy to other artists on their own terms. "Ruby" for example, is a great pop song and one of my favourites from last year.

How does he do it?

because he's a human being.

How does he do it?

I'm sure he did it by reading, observing others, natural intuitiveness and inclinations, and lots of introspection. You don't have to experience something to understand it. Human nature is human nature.

Don't forget that Morrissey was (I'm not sure if he still is) an avid soap viewer.

If you strip the soaps down they are simply about human interaction - probably why Morrissey wrote those (rejected) Coronation Street scripts.

And it's always worth mentioning that appearance in the Brookside spin-off!

Morrissey doesn't offer any insight into life that isn't obvious to most people. The feelings he brings up and the attitudes and pitfalls, etc....they're all things most people deal with...which is why so many of us say such things as, "this song is about me and my life". well duh...that's the intent. SO really morrissey gift is (or was) his ability to write it all down in a way that was beautiful. That's all.

Morrissey doesn't offer any insight into life that isn't obvious to most people. The feelings he brings up and the attitudes and pitfalls, etc....they're all things most people deal with...which is why so many of us say such things as, "this song is about me and my life". well duh...that's the intent. SO really morrissey gift is (or was) his ability to write it all down in a way that was beautiful. That's all.

Very true. I have yet to hear him write about anything which he's obviously completely clueless about, like raising children, having a "real" job, worrying about how he's going to pay the mortgage, etc.

And of course, you also need to have the right amount of personality disorders. :cool:

How does he do it?

It's probably just a case of him seeing with they eyes of music, if that doesn't sound too prerentious and flowery. By that i mean, for example; I personally write songs about love, or sadness, war etc... but i don't have a huuuge amount of experience or even much knowledge in those things, but i take the little bit of knowledge and experience i do have, and of those around me, in what i see and hear of from friends or watch on the T.V. and merge that all together in song format. The creative side breaks through and can often appear as if i have more knowledge of the subject than i actually do, just simply becuase the music and lyrics pull it through and make it succinct - this may be the case with Moz ...

The above may all be complete bull ... i dunno ... just my take

Anyone reckon Moz has experience in coming to terms with a hampster dying? ... i've just checked on our flatmates hampster just this minuit and it's stone cold dead!!! I don't even know how long for! Ever since they got a puppy the poor thing had been forgotten :tears: - Gonna have to find a way of telling them tomorow!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom