How different would the negative reviews be if they addressed the Deluxe version?

nitrate21

First of all, I just have to say, I can't believe my bafflement at reading some of the more negative reviews of World Peace.

Almost every track is either listed as a highlight and one of Morrissey's best, or one of his worst. Istanbul is declared the only song on the album worth saving, or no, wait, it's the perfect example of how Morrissey's lost it! Staircase is the only standout, or no, wait, it's a forgettable song that should have been a b-side...

But one theme that keeps coming up is oooh, Morrissey's so hateful and angry! It's dripping with venom! Look at The Bullfighter Dies, good heavens!

I mean, it should be tossed out of court that anyone in 2014 is shocked Morrissey doesn't like animal slaughter. This is the man who sang, "Meat is Murder" over the sounds of cows mooing. He's been strident from day one on the subject.

But I wonder if the tone of the pissy reviews would have been softened had they reviewed the *real* album, the one we're all listening to, with the deluxe tracks. I mean, sure, you have Art Hounds, which pre-empted the critics by pissing on their heads first, but I'd say those songs certainly soften the edges on the album a bit. Especially Forgive Someone, eh? Not to mention that they're six more songs of lovely melodies and great singing, although the lyrics on One of Our Own grate on me a bit.

Still, what do you think?

And maybe Agharta and John Barleycorn, you could consider your vocal hatred of this album already registered...

The "real" album is the twelve track, which is why that is the one that is sent out to the press. Not to mention the fact that it would be horrendously crass to sell an album minus six tracks (and only at Best Buy in the United States, while everyone else shall make do with scraps) if it's what you, the artist, think is the real thing.

No, the deluxe version - like most deluxe versions - is the album proper plus extra stuff for the hardcore. In this case, it's World Peace Is None Of Your Business plus six songs that would have been b-sides if such things still existed in the way that they used to.

The real argument is whether any of the 'b-sides' should have been included on the album proper, but that occurs with every new release.

Last edited:
Honestly, at the end of the day it's all subjective. Being a professional music writer/critic doesn't make a person more or less capable of "authentically" enjoying anything—and that goes for the positive reviews as well as the negative. Just like judges, critics don't exist in bubbles without their own preconceptions and biases, and they will always formulate their reviews with that baggage. An awful lot of people have negative Morrissey baggage!

I've been listening to people bleat on about how Morrissey sucks for as long as I've been a Morrissey fan, and everyone around me has been listening to me bleat on about how amazing Morrissey is for the same length of time. He's a very divisive person, which is a large part of the reason why I love him, but it's also the reason so many people are going to be instantly turned off the moment he dares mention prostate cancer in the same breath as a t-bone. Even if he doesn't say it, everyone is waiting for him to…

First of all, I just have to say, I can't believe my bafflement at reading some of the more negative reviews of World Peace.

Almost every track is either listed as a highlight and one of Morrissey's best, or one of his worst. Istanbul is declared the only song on the album worth saving, or no, wait, it's the perfect example of how Morrissey's lost it! Staircase is the only standout, or no, wait, it's a forgettable song that should have been a b-side...

But one theme that keeps coming up is oooh, Morrissey's so hateful and angry! It's dripping with venom! Look at The Bullfighter Dies, good heavens!

I mean, it should be tossed out of court that anyone in 2014 is shocked Morrissey doesn't like animal slaughter. This is the man who sang, "Meat is Murder" over the sounds of cows mooing. He's been strident from day one on the subject.

But I wonder if the tone of the pissy reviews would have been softened had they reviewed the *real* album, the one we're all listening to, with the deluxe tracks. I mean, sure, you have Art Hounds, which pre-empted the critics by pissing on their heads first, but I'd say those songs certainly soften the edges on the album a bit. Especially Forgive Someone, eh? Not to mention that they're six more songs of lovely melodies and great singing, although the lyrics on One of Our Own grate on me a bit.

Still, what do you think?

And maybe Agharta and John Barleycorn, you could consider your vocal hatred of this album already registered...

I'm not sure it would make a difference. The US press probably prefers college rock type of albums and hence championed YOR and don't like the change on this one. Also the US tour cancelation didn't help either. I even read in one review that the problem is that he is not singing about himself! Lol dammed if you do and dammed if you don't .

Amongst fans, this one seems more popular than YOR or ROTT ( with exceptions, naturally - as voiced in this forum).

On a positive side, in Europe the reviews have been generally great. Only time will tell how this album will fare on the long run. I can only speak for myself: I really liked YOR in 2009 but truth is, I hardly listen to any songs of that album nowadays. With WPINOYB there were Immediate standout tracks that I know I'll be listening to, over and over again . The emotional response I had to some of the tracks was incomparably stronger that anything he put out in a very long time.

I think the album is good without the extra tracks.

The 'proper' album's 12 tracks hang together very well as a unit I think.

I bought the deluxe version but I don't really need the bonus CD.
Art Hounds is not bad but it doesn't sound as relaxed as the album (I think it sounds a bit forced to be honest). The only one I could be persuaded to include is Scandinavia.

I'm loving the album the way it is!!

I've listened to the album three times now, including the bonus tracks, and to me the extra ones just sound like b-sides, with the exception of Art-Hounds. They're all kind of nice but nothing amazing.

As far as the negative reviews are concerned, they probably dislike it because they dislike Morrissey. Full stop. As someone said above, it's subjective. As much as I love the extra tracks, I don't think they would sway anyone's opinion. Nor do i think that these songs should have replaced any on the album. Big decisions are made about what to include on an album and what to leave out; the final track listing as decided by those who can further replicates the finished product as a cohesive piece

Back
Top Bottom