How did you feel when you first left home/left school?

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
I am finishing school tomorrow and moving away from the place I have lived all my life in mid August. To be honest I'm terrified. I HATE this place and my school with a passion, but I think hating it for so long has given me some sort of peverse joy that leaving it is becoming painful.
How did you lot feel when you moved away from home and school?
Or if there are any teenagers who are leaving soon, it would be nice to hear what you think.

I am finishing school tomorrow and moving away from the place I have lived all my life in mid August. To be honest I'm terrified. I HATE this place and my school with a passion, but I think hating it for so long has given me some sort of peverse joy that leaving it is becoming painful.
Or if there are any teenagers who are leaving soon, it would be nice to hear what you think.

Tomorrow is my last day as well since it's my last exam. Are doing Art as well? I hated school as well and i'm leaving a year early becuase of it and going off to Uni. I'm really scared about going in to something new. I hated school so much the time i have been on study school i have missed it.:o To be honest i didn't like it becuase i had next to no friends and people were really horrible to me. I hope now i have left school that is over and i make some new friends:)

I'm at uni and I live in another town, apart from week-ends. Beatiful. I don't miss my family.
Next year, hopefully, I'll get a degree and move somewhere else on my own, probably London. yup

good luck:)

Uni will be different, as you are mixing with many people who share (mostly) the same tastes, you are studying the same subject, some will be older then you and more intelligent then the twits who were horrible to you in school. It will be easier to make friends and you will:).

Glad James Dean is back, when I joined this forum you had the same picture, or a very similar one. :)

Anyway, not to let anyone down, I was told the same about uni, but I didn't make any real friends. I just happen to know a dozen people and I mostly see them at exams, you don't really call them "friends". Of course it may be my fault as well. I don't think we share the same tastes. I'm interested in everything and nothing.

I found the most important thing is make friends, or at least put yourself out there, the first week or two. cuz after that people form cliques and then its harder to make friends. for example, my first year of college I went to all the cheesy freshman activities and made lots of friends. my roommate went home every weekend to see her b/f who eventually dumped her halfway through the semester anyway, and she had a much harder time making friends later in the year. just a suggestion. :)

I cried the first day, and I spent every weekend at home (I was only 15, though). Then after some time I started visiting my parents once or twice a year :D

good luck:)

Uni will be different, as you are mixing with many people who share (mostly) the same tastes, you are studying the same subject, some will be older then you and more intelligent then the twits who were horrible to you in school. It will be easier to make friends and you will:).

Thank you :). I'm looking forward to uni and i meeting new poeple.Meetin intelligent people - there were not many at my shcool .

When i first left home I lived in a YWCA and it was a grim experience.I shared with a bullimic who ate all my food.I was so poor and hardly had anything left to eat.

It is frightening and hard.the hardest thing is managing money.You just don't realise how much it truly costs your parents to keep you.Also the first night you are totally alone is a bit frightening.But it gets better and before you know it you'l be loving your independence.

Good luckXX

That's understandable. As much as you hate the place you come from, there is always a strange kind of love for it, as it's familiar and it is the place we're you are 'made' so to speak. You notice it as you grow older as you develop a strange affection and even get nostalgic, even though it was absolute crap at the time. That's how I always think of Morrissey's relationship with Manchester.

I bolted as soon as humanly possible, and didn't look back. I turned 18 a few days after graduating from HS, and college didn't start til that fall, but I spent most days and evenings that summer in the college town 30 minutes away anyway. I went home only a dozen or so times those 4 years of college, then didn't visit at all during the 2 years of grad school after that.

felt fine when I left school, altho I really wish I had done better or went and got better results at college or something. I still sometimes flirt with the idea that i will go re sit some stuff.
I left home at 16 and still took my washing back to my mum every week, well I did it mostly but used her machine and electric!
I went straight into a job, that I have now, all be it in a better position (only slightly better paid) than the one I started with.

Tomorrow is my last day as well since it's my last exam. Are doing Art as well? I hated school as well and i'm leaving a year early becuase of it and going off to Uni. I'm really scared about going in to something new. I hated school so much the time i have been on study school i have missed it.:o To be honest i didn't like it becuase i had next to no friends and people were really horrible to me. I hope now i have left school that is over and i make some new friends:)

Yeah, I'm doing Art too. I'm not going to Uni just yet, I have defered and I am going to Art College instead. Are you going to Edinburgh Uni?

I'm also pretty scared because I'm leaving my friends, my family, my dogs, you know, all these things that have been the norm for so many years. But I have wanted this for so long I think I'd better not chicken out or I'll regret it.

I bolted as soon as humanly possible, and didn't look back.

i done the same from school i hated it , i left with the feeling that i would never have to spen time with those people again , i have one friend from school who i have kept for 15 years .

as for home , i left it into a really nice flat and havent looked back , i only moved when i was ready , i hate the idea of roughing it and when i moved out i was more than prepaired

Yeah, I'm doing Art too. I'm not going to Uni just yet, I have defered and I am going to Art College instead. Are you going to Edinburgh Uni?

I'm also pretty scared because I'm leaving my friends, my family, my dogs, you know, all these things that have been the norm for so many years. But I have wanted this for so long I think I'd better not chicken out or I'll regret it.

I'm scared about my exam- i don't think i have revised enough :eek:Yeah i'm going to Edinburgh.

Happy/excited for college, and now I can't wait for Uni!

I just finished my first year in uni.
When I moved here in last September, I wasn't missing my family almost at all even though I moved abroad and started studying with a different language. I was enjoying my course and made lots of friends.
Now I'm missing my family and my home country like hell, crying daily, hating my course and feeling extremely confused about what I want to do with my life.

The good thing is that here in uni I met two people who mean the world to me. If I had not come here, I would not have met them.

Now I'm missing my family and my home country like hell, crying daily, hating my course and feeling extremely confused about what I want to do with my life.

I know how you feel, I've been there... I can't advise you though, I f*cked up!

Maybe the best thing you could do is talk with a psychologist.

Back
Top Bottom