How come not many teens listen to the Smiths/Morrissey?

I really believe that age does some influence on people - but not all.
It seems mad. Whem I was 16 I've found out Morrissey. But I was looking for, he didn't come around me and said "I'm here".

I'm 18. I found The Smiths/Morrissey's solo music for myself, because I'm cool like that :rolleyes:

It is depressing that lot of people my age haven't got a clue who he is and haven't heard his music. The ones who I see who only know the words to This Charming Man in clubs/bars give me a bit of hope though.

Here in Australia Moz has never been more than a cult figure. During the early 90s when he was releasing classic solo LPs radio and TV would not give his work the time of day. I vividly remember the taunts for being a fan. Was on my pat malone like most Australian fans whilst others got excited over Ace Of Base and Nirvana.

The problem with teens is that a great deal want to go with the crowds. Hence if Moz is not played on select radio stations then he isn't ever going to get cred with the fickle teen market.

And who really wants that anyway?

I was watching Jacko's memorial service today, and it got me thinking -- when Mozzer passes away, it will not even be a footnote on American television news. That's just disheartening...:(

The Smiths disbanded 22 years ago, longer than all current teens have been alive. Why should they know about the band when there are so many current artists and so much time has passed since their passing? It's not as if they're putting out new material (though of course Moz is) to keep them in the public eye and ear, is it? If they were older they would know the band more, maybe, if they listen to adult rock stations or places that play older music, but apart from that I'm not surprised many teens are clueluess as to The Smiths.

The Smiths disbanded 22 years ago, longer than all current teens have been alive. Why should they know about the band when there are so many current artists and so much time has passed since their passing? It's not as if they're putting out new material (though of course Moz is), is it? If they were older they would know the band more, maybe, if they listen to adult rock stations or places that play older music, but apart from that I'm not surprised many teens are clueluess as to The Smiths.

:eek:
You're right, I shouldn't like the Smiths.

The Smiths disbanded 22 years ago, longer than all current teens have been alive. Why should they know about the band when there are so many current artists and so much time has passed since their passing? It's not as if they're putting out new material (though of course Moz is) to keep them in the public eye and ear, is it? If they were older they would know the band more, maybe, if they listen to adult rock stations or places that play older music, but apart from that I'm not surprised many teens are clueluess as to The Smiths.

Lots of teens listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones and other bands who no longer exist. Apparently lots listen to Michael Jackson. I guess dying is a great cure to fading popularity.

basically i think your basic position is wrong dude :o
lots of older teens seem to get into Moz/Smiths all on their own from what i have seen :straightface:
sure, they may not be early teens like back in the 80s, but that was when the stuff was new and one really should not compare then to now maybe :confused:

I often wonder myself. I'm seventeen and hardly any of my friends like him or The Smiths. I wish I had a Smiths best friend:mad:

I often wonder myself. I'm seventeen and hardly any of my friends like him or The Smiths. I wish I had a Smiths best friend:mad:

young-boy-raises-hand-classroom-I175-04-58.jpg

Oooh ooh, I'll be your Smiths friend :)

I'm 18 & I know quite a few other people my age who like/appreciate/adore Morrissey. But I do notice there's never a lot of younger fans at gigs, bar Wireless Fest I guess where I spotted quite a few.

basically i think your basic position is wrong dude :o
lots of older teens seem to get into Moz/Smiths all on their own from what i have seen :straightface:
sure, they may not be early teens like back in the 80s, but that was when the stuff was new and one really should not compare then to now maybe :confused:

All I can say on my discovery of The Smiths is:
Thank God for Alan Yentob and BBC2's 'Imagine...' :D

I'm 17 and discovered Moz when ROTT was released so around April 2006 when I was 13 and haven't looked back since! I've seen him twice and perhaps if i'm lucky and can scavange some money I may be able to see him in Salisbury. I'm glad I discovered him earlier on due to curiosity and he's been with me all this time to keep me going. I've had many cringeworthy musical phases over the years, the majority of which are painful to remember, but Moz has remained a constant feature since then :) much to the despair of most around me.

Last edited:
I'm 18 & I know quite a few other people my age who like/appreciate/adore Morrissey. But I do notice there's never a lot of younger fans at gigs, bar Wireless Fest I guess where I spotted quite a few.
do not forget the ticketprices ..for me back then as a 16 year old 45 pound (50 euro -) was much(i think my pocket money was 25 DM monthly-DM before the euro-25 dm was 12 euro)..so even though some kids can be seen at the shows but also a lot more we dont see there are sitting at home watching livevideos, hearing his music on last fm or myspace..etc as a substitute as they either cant afford it or parents wouldnt allow them to use their(parents own) credit card to buy tixs(asw thts often if not mostly the only possibilty beside queung at ticketshops to get a ticket at the offical sales ) esp those in far off places i.e villages which leads to the next problems to how to get there alone wihtout parents..either you have to sneak out or to have to take parents with you

Last edited:
do not forget the ticketprices ..for me as a 16 year old 45 pound (50 DM -DM before the euro-25 dm is 12 euro) was much(i think my pocket money was 25 DM monthly)..so even though some kds can be seen at the shows but also a lot more are sitting at home watching livevideos as a substiitute as they either cant afford it or parents wouldnt allow them to use their credit cardto buy tixs(asw thts often the only possibilty beside queung at ticketshops) esp in far off places i.e villages which leads to the next problems to how to get there alone wihtout parents..

True that. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom