How about making the default threshold 1 instead of 0 on the main page boards?

Mel_Torment

Dismember
I've been thinking about it because it's a shame that many of the posts by anonymous cowards drags down this otherwise great website into deserving the epithet SoLow. If the default threshold were higher, a 1 instead of 0, no additional moderating would be needed, and yet these eyesores could be tamped down automatically without necessarily censoring them. If people want to check for "inside info" from anonymous cowards, then they can always set their threshold lower.

Sorry if this issue already has its own dedicated thread, but I couldn't find it.

Yes, this has been a consideration. My feeling is that a majority of the anonymous comments are actually OK, a few touch nerves and some are a waste of time and a few trolls. But that's life. There is actually little moderation that is done at the moment on the main page.

The main reason I want to keep anonymous posts are because it will likely become much less active. Many people who post just don't want to bother creating a login or would prefer to be anonymous. The "Solow" comments don't get to me, I'd rather have an open an uncensored site with some negative side effects than one that is completely filtered and controlled.

Other sites I have visited usually ask people to register. It doesn't take long.
The main pages are visitors' first impression of Morrissey-Solo and it's not a good one. Surely this puts off more people than being asked to register would?

If I hadn't discovered the Forums I'd have left here long ago. I'm unwilling to reccomend the site to friends because comments on the main pages are so often negative and nasty.

I enjoy the freedom of expression, but it is hard to get the balance right. Thanks to the Mods who give their time and efforts to the forums.

Murmurs
Muse
Oasis
Bowlie

Often they say you MAY have to register, but in effect to post, you do have to.

Lots of the comments on the main page get 0 score, but not all of them are bullshit.
All the comments I made got 1 score. Why? I don't know, but I suppose that's because I try to mention the topic I've chosen in the title, but this doesn't mean my posts are wiser than posts with 0 score.
I think people write their comments on the news and put a title just because they have to, and they choose something like "oh my god" and don't mention God in the post and get 0.

Sorry, I think I've totally misunderstood the problem here.

And the main page isn't that bad.

Lots of the comments on the main page get 0 score, but not all of them are bullshit.
All the comments I made got 1 score. Why? I don't know, but I suppose that's because I try to mention the topic I've chosen in the title, but this doesn't mean my posts are wiser than posts with 0 score.
I think people write their comments on the news and put a title just because they have to, and they choose something like "oh my god" and don't mention God in the post and get 0.

Sorry, I think I've totally misunderstood the problem here.

And the main page isn't that bad.

you get a 1 cause you comment signed in.
:)

Back
Top Bottom