Hot Press Review - "I Am Not A Dog On A Chain" (5 Stars out of 10)

Hot Press Review- review indicates great album but looks like lost stars for political views

MORRRISEY – I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN- BMG
5 Stars/10
RESPECTABLE RETURN FROM
INDIE ICON ISN'T ENOUGH TO
ESCAPE BLACK HOLE OF HIS
POLITICAL VIEWS
Morrissey has a new album and fans are confused as to how they should
feel. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is
solid late-period Moz, with robust
production by his latest ongoing
collaborator Joe Chiccarelli (Spoon,
The Shins, Tori Amos).
Buuuut there is still the sticky
issue of Stephen Patrick's well-
documented far right views. He
popped up on the Jimmy Fallon
show wearing a badge advertising
the For Britain party (headbangers
shunned by Nigel Farage for their
extremism). And he has accused
London Mayor Sadiq Khan of
being unable to "talk properly".
To all of this we can now add his
one-way feud with The Guardian, as
the
trumpeted by his new line of "f***
The Guardian" merch (an actual
thing).
How do you get all that out
of your head whilst grooving to
his thoroughly agreeable new
record, which Moz himself has not
inaccurarely hailed as "the very
best of me"? It's impossible which
is why, as a Smiths diehard, you
may undergo a succession of mild
out-of-body experiences as the top-
drawer jangle pop of Jim Jim Falls'
and single 'Bobby, Don't You Think
They Know?' washes over you.
His humour has weathered the
years, at least. "Time will mould
you and craft you," he croons
darkly. "But when you're looking
away it will slide up and shaft you."
That's the opening line to closer,
'My Hurling Days Are Done'. It's
in the rich Morrissey tradition of
wry dirges and we can always do
with more indie icons referencing
the greatest sport in the world.
But it's so very odd enjoying this
album knowing the opinions of the
increasingly marginalised figure
behind it.

A review of an album that spends more time talking about Moz's political views is not a review. Unfortunately nobody these days seems capable of being objective, logical, professional or intelligent.
It is. The guy clearly said it’s hard to listen to Morrissey because of his far-right views. The fact that you and these other half-people pretend to not see his far-right views isn’t important to the reviewer. He’s reviewing for a magazine, not for you. He’s telling the truth and you’re just not a fan of the truth. What you like is 5/10 albums.

What a load of toss. I'm ashamed to be Irish reading that shit. Compare it to a proper review from HotPress from 1989 (review of the excellent Cure Prayer Tour): https://www.hotpress.com/music/archive-cures-1989-cover-story-22774279

Payback for Moz's comment about TQIDead in Autobiography?:
"Reviews had been very supportive apart from Ireland’s Hot Press whose title warned The Crown Slips. Well, it hadn’t. It stayed on more firmly fixed than ever before, so thank you Hot Press.”

Journalism gets worse every minute.

It is. The guy clearly said it’s hard to listen to Morrissey because of his far-right views. The fact that you and these other half-people pretend to not see his far-right views isn’t important to the reviewer. He’s reviewing for a magazine, not for you. He’s telling the truth and you’re just not a fan of the truth. What you like is 5/10 albums.
Haha what a twat. So the album is 5/10 because some random rag mag scribbler says so? You should try some independent thought. Anyone who can't listen to music without fixating on the views of the singer/band is a complete moron.

Haha what a twat. So the album is 5/10 because some random rag mag scribbler says so? You should try some independent thought. Anyone who can't listen to music without fixating on the views of the singer/band is a complete moron.
No. But that is his opinion. It’s really very, very funny that you said that about independent thought as you clearly only agree with Morrissey. You don’t believe the things Morrissey believes, but you agree with him anyway. You have no opinion that isn’t his. It must be absolutely awful being you. Best of luck, Acton xoxo

And not even reviewing the 'personal politics' well - it's the usual cherry-picked bullshit.

Yes, mentions he supports Farage and For Britain but not that he also supports George Galloway and Bernie Sanders. Do many journalists even know about the latter?

And not even reviewing the 'personal politics' well - it's the usual cherry-picked bullshit.
right...the album has nothing to do with politics, the hypocritical bias is sickening...just because the reviewer does not agree with another person's views, just shows his hateful intolerance.....

S-T-E-V-E-N

Meaning: Man with crown {slipped?}...the name of the first Christian martyr, stoned to death {but stilll living?}...Etc.

Eejit hack. Get his name right, or go listen to Aslan. It's the IRISH variant of Stephen as well. Clown.

I know now why I don't buy Hotpress.
They indicate that this is a great album but can't enjoy it without feeling guilty due to their interpretation of Morrisseys (2 S's please)political views.
Therefore they can't give it the correct amount of stars, so as a music review it is null and void.
Symptomatic of the spineless cliched codswallop the Irish media serve up every day. "The black hole" of a political review in keeping with bland mediocre consensus reality. Why bother!

It was a pretty pointless music review

How can he say "Moz himself has not inaccurarely hailed as "the very best of me"? " and rate the album 5/10....does that mean TQIDis a 5/10 album???....To me that line tells me we're in for most likely one final great album as beyond the BMG deal cant see any other label going with him.....Pity BMG aint pushing the album at all given no airplay, playlisting or exclusives of any of the three fine lead songs released...not even a hint of a 7" single release...I wonder was the whole Its Over situation fed into this.

Reputation management? It’s a bit late for that. Morrissey is the one who constantly tears down his reputation with his own antics and statements. Plus he doesn’t care about his PR. He’s a not too bright drunk, racist, misogynistic, and narcissist.

You're talking all that shit about Morrissey but who are you? He is bright enough and talented enough to become the iconic artist he is and you're some butthurt dipshit still on Morrissey's left nut. You're a clown
So is @Photo

Does anyone have any more info on this? Sure this must be preorder only

It looks like some in the media have a problem with free speech (depending whether they agree with what is said or not). Modern day nazis are alive and well within the press imho

Did hot press heard the full album?I think,they don't.So they gave a random 5 ,and i only heard 3 songs and give a random 9 to full album, at least.So my rating is serious?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom