Hop Farm- 'Morrissey will be pulling some surprises on the day'. What to expect?

Off the topic but a third day has been announced, with 'Ponce' (prince) as the headline act.

the lyrics you picked out from it in one of your posts do not look great minus context, but that's true of many/most great rock songs. they do point to real world concerns in a somewhat clumsily lyrics to a rock song way, though. I mean, as lyrics go you picked a lot of things that, when you read them together, show Morrissey to be describing himself as some kind of real weirdo, but those lines are different, and if bad, then bad for different reasons anyway. I just love the energy of the song and I some of it reminds me of songs like Nobody Loves Us and Sweet and Tender Hooligan or it's talking about the same kind of person.
I think you sold it short. Obviously it's just opinions, but we can probably agree that the lyrics to "The Father Who Must Be Killed" are horrible in a whole different, and seemingly pointless way. At least Shame sounds like he put a pretty good effort into it. I thought it was better than anything on the last three albums really.

I quite like the Father Who Must Be killed.... I think that is more about a certain feel...its about mood...and the sound of words.. The love following bit-
"With this broken voice I beseech you
why are lives so short?
the stepchild thought
heart pointing to the sky
"no warm to warm me
no hand to touch me
and no bible-belters to mess with me
Momma, don't miss me
Momma, don't miss me
this death will complete me
but where I go there'll be no one to meet me
I know there'll be no one to meet me,"
but still, the step-child pressed
the knife to her throat
heart pointing to the sky
"just as Motherless birds fly high
then... so shall I
so shall I
so shall I
so shall I
so shall I..."

Dylan, Cohen, Springsteen, and Costello beg to differ.

He's been doing that since 2004.

You think he isn't?

They're bad because they were poorly written...just like 'Children In Pieces.'

It's an "Ordinary Boys" rehash. Period.

Three verses, two of which are almost identical, doesn't sound like much effort to me.

Well, I agree and I (surprise,surprise) disagree. You are correct that Morrisseys words, in general, have gotten worse. I feel this not because he has lost the art of writing, he has just become more of a singer than a writer. This was always going to be thus... the clues were there from at least the second Smiths LP on.
I think naming Dylan or Bruce as people whom always produce words that read well is a BIG mistake..even Cohen has written rubbish in the past (though I can't name one now). Not to mention that non of them can actually sing (Not as Good as Moz at least)

They're all recognized for their lyrics but they've all written things that do not read well. Springsteen doesn't belong on the same list and Elvis Costello wrote great lyrics but they were song lyrics. Watching The Detectives is a great song but without the riff you're losing something. Bob Dylan has written some real crap at nearly every stage of his career. But it comes down to opinions. I'd be more excited about reading a new set of Morrissey lyrics than anyone else's.

Sorry to interrupt. Magazine were added to the line-up this morning but hastily taken down. Song from under the floorboards, anyone?

Sorry to interrupt. Magazine were added to the line-up this morning but hastily taken down. Song from under the floorboards, anyone?

Oh yeah? Their facebook has been abuzz with "very interesting news coming soon." I would have thought that they'd be concentrated on demoing and working on their new album, but it appears that there are going to be at the very least a few major appearances this summer. Shame that Barry's had to leave the group. I'll bet there will be some new material in their set if there are to be gigs. Their status this morning was "Midlands..."

Magazine just announced a gig in Wolverhampton on June 30th as a "a festival warm up show (SHORTER THAN NORMAL SET APPROX 45 MINS)." Perhaps they're "warming up" for the third day at Hop Farm. That being said, Devoto IS an "old friend" of Morrissey's -- think there'd be any chance of a collaboration there? THAT'D be brilliant.

It was on the Saturday just before Patti Smith.

Interesting. I really felt their absence to be odd amongst names like Patti, Iggy, and Moz. So much so that I even spoke to Noko's wife Deborah about it, and she said that she had told Noko the exact same thing -- that Magazine should be on the bill for Hop Farm this year.

I see that Magazine are now on the bill. Great news.

It's hard to say. Now that Russell Brand is finally famous in America he might help Morrissey get a guest appearance by Rihanna or Beyonce.

Is he famous here? I've seen him on a couple late-night talk shows and he's put out a couple horrible movies...that's it. He ain't no Borat.

Is he famous here? I've seen him on a couple late-night talk shows and he's put out a couple horrible movies...that's it. He ain't no Borat.

He is semi-famous...if the "Arthur" remake had made a lot of money I'm sure you'd be seeing him everywhere...

So, as there are no immediate reports of something amazing happening, I suppose we can assume that whatever "surprises" Morrissey was set to "pull" "on the day" were not "pulled" at Hop Farm? Ah well.

I guess the surprise was "Panic" being played...big deal.

Well i was surprised.........that he's still doing Satellite Of Love , what a waste of everyone's time . He should do Come Back To Camden instead..................

Back
Top Bottom