Hop Farm- 'Morrissey will be pulling some surprises on the day'. What to expect?

Good song, bad lyrics.

the lyrics you picked out from it in one of your posts do not look great minus context, but that's true of many/most great rock songs. they do point to real world concerns in a somewhat clumsily lyrics to a rock song way, though. I mean, as lyrics go you picked a lot of things that, when you read them together, show Morrissey to be describing himself as some kind of real weirdo, but those lines are different, and if bad, then bad for different reasons anyway. I just love the energy of the song and I some of it reminds me of songs like Nobody Loves Us and Sweet and Tender Hooligan or it's talking about the same kind of person.

I think you sold it short. Obviously it's just opinions, but we can probably agree that the lyrics to "The Father Who Must Be Killed" are horrible in a whole different, and seemingly pointless way. At least Shame sounds like he put a pretty good effort into it. I thought it was better than anything on the last three albums really.

the lyrics you picked out from it in one of your posts do not look great minus context, but that's true of many/most great rock songs.

Dylan, Cohen, Springsteen, and Costello beg to differ.

they do point to real world concerns in a somewhat clumsily lyrics to a rock song way

He's been doing that since 2004.

I mean, as lyrics go you picked a lot of things that, when you read them together, show Morrissey to be describing himself as some kind of real weirdo

You think he isn't?

those lines are different, and if bad, then bad for different reasons anyway.

They're bad because they were poorly written...just like 'Children In Pieces.'

it reminds me of songs like Nobody Loves Us and Sweet and Tender Hooligan

It's an "Ordinary Boys" rehash. Period.

At least Shame sounds like he put a pretty good effort into it.

Three verses, two of which are almost identical, doesn't sound like much effort to me.

A 45 minute stand up routine of puns.
I can see it now...

"After hearing Pristine Dung's performance earlier, the event organizer decided to change the name of the show to Flop Farm. Waka waka waka."

If it was Redondo beach or Shame is the Name, it'd hardly be a 'surprise'. Then again, I can't really remember the last time Morrissey surprised me. In a good way, at least.

If it was Redondo beach or Shame is the Name, it'd hardly be a 'surprise'. Then again, I can't really remember the last time Morrissey surprised me. In a good way, at least.

The penis thing could work. Actually it seems as though everyone is expecting that, now.

IMG_0530.JPGpeaches.jpg

He can borrow this one when Peaches and Die Antwoord are through with it.

A 45 minute stand up routine of puns.

He'd have to be hopping mad to do that. It would do more farm than good. He would hurt a lot of people's fieldings. He couldn't last 45 minutes anyway, cow could he? He'll simply have to get his cock out or noone will be satisfied.
And by cock, I of course mean his John Thomas, not the male bird.

Everyone mentioning that he'll be getting his penis out on stage and nobody has picked up on the actual thread title here "Morrissey will be pulling some surprises on the day"

Dylan, Cohen, Springsteen, and Costello beg to differ.
He's been doing that since 2004.
You think he isn't?
They're bad because they were poorly written...just like 'Children In Pieces.'
It's an "Ordinary Boys" rehash. Period.
Three verses, two of which are almost identical, doesn't sound like much effort to me.

I'm definitely of the opinion that Morrissey's lyrics have been a huge disappointment since 2004. Half the songs on Who Ate Me Curry were rendered unlistenable due to their dismal, charmless, half-witted lyrics. ROTT and YOR were only slightly better but, generally, it's been baffling to witness the transformation.
However...
I absolutely love Shame is the Name. It's a splendid song. The music has a wonderfully melodic windsweptness (a word?) about it - the tinkling piano, the evocative (and hardly ever heard on a Moz song) harmonica, the gorgeous Chrissie Hynde harmonies.
The lyrics aren't his best ever but they're a big improvement on most of his recent output. Love his use of the vernacular (dim ass teen!), and the way he addresses both genders equally, as he has done on many of his finest ever songs (either as a Smith or a non-Smith).
The closing 'shame makes the world go round' is perfectly judged.
It's middle-aged Moz at his very best - frowning at, and dispensing pithy bon mots to, the feckless youth of today!
I only wish he could keep this quality up for a whole album's worth of songs.

I'm definitely of the opinion that Morrissey's lyrics have been a huge disappointment since 2004. Half the songs on Who Ate Me Curry were rendered unlistenable due to their dismal, charmless, half-witted lyrics. ROTT and YOR were only slightly better but, generally, it's been baffling to witness the transformation.
However...
I absolutely love Shame is the Name. It's a splendid song. The music has a wonderfully melodic windsweptness (a word?) about it - the tinkling piano, the evocative (and hardly ever heard on a Moz song) harmonica, the gorgeous Chrissie Hynde harmonies.
The lyrics aren't his best ever but they're a big improvement on most of his recent output. Love his use of the vernacular (dim ass teen!), and the way he addresses both genders equally, as he has done on many of his finest ever songs (either as a Smith or a non-Smith).
The closing 'shame makes the world go round' is perfectly judged.
It's middle-aged Moz at his very best - frowning at, and dispensing pithy bon mots to, the feckless youth of today!
I only wish he could keep this quality up for a whole album's worth of songs.

Fascinating, I'm sure.

...but relevant to the topic at hand...how?

Iggy is going to walk Morrissey out on all four's with a collar and leash when The Stooges play "Now I want To Be Your Dog"

Fascinating, I'm sure.

...but relevant to the topic at hand...how?

earlier in the thread there was discussion about Chrissie Hynde duetting with Morrissey at Hop Farm. someone praised Shame is the Name, someone said it was awful, I chipped in and said I thought it was pretty good - there's the connection/relevance.

earlier in the thread there was discussion about Chrissie Hynde duetting with Morrissey at Hop Farm. someone praised Shame is the Name, someone said it was awful, I chipped in and said I thought it was pretty good - there's the connection/relevance.

You don't have to explain yourself to them...

It's hard to even hear her in that song, I think she's underused. She's much better on My Love Life.

And Christ, Shame is a horrible song. I'm not a big fan of Poor Education either...when those b-sides were released it definitely curbed my longing to hear I Was Bully..., Action Man, et al.

At the risk of being controversial I'd like to add that I think it's okay too.

Back
Top Bottom