Hong Kong LP for sale

Hi ,
But why is this worth £1800 ?

What an item is worth is down to personal opinion, nothing is set in stone to say you must pay this or that amount, not a penny more or less.
I can totally understand why this went high tho, “Rare” is a blaise description nowadays, most Smiths items you see on eBay come with a “MEGA RARE!!” Tag, even if it’s pure shit and not worth a bean. But anyone who takes their collecting seriously knows this is an almost impossible find. I can’t ever recall seeing one for sale, can you? Any info we have on it is pure educated speculation, I’ve heard it’s an early UK proof, a promo prop handed out by Cartel Reps, an aborted Hong Kong prototype which never reached the commercial release stage, etc etc. Your guess is as good as mine but a bit of mystique never harmed. These are rarer than a Hand In Glove negative sleeves, I’m almost positive of that.

What an item is worth is down to personal opinion, nothing is set in stone to say you must pay this or that amount, not a penny more or less.
I can totally understand why this went high tho, “Rare” is a blaise description nowadays, most Smiths items you see on eBay come with a “MEGA RARE!!” Tag, even if it’s pure shit and not worth a bean. But anyone who takes their collecting seriously knows this is an almost impossible find. I can’t ever recall seeing one for sale, can you? Any info we have on it is pure educated speculation, I’ve heard it’s an early UK proof, a promo prop handed out by Cartel Reps, an aborted Hong Kong prototype which never reached the commercial release stage, etc etc. Your guess is as good as mine but a bit of mystique never harmed. These are rarer than a Hand In Glove negative sleeves, I’m almost positive of that.

I would agree with you. I don't buy much any more but I have collected on and off for the last 30 years and I have never seen one for sale. I would be pleased to own it but it is way out of my price range !
Good luck to you - anything is worth what someone will pay.
I'm amazed that you have sold it - unless you had 2 copies ??
Del.

I would agree with you. I don't buy much any more but I have collected on and off for the last 30 years and I have never seen one for sale. I would be pleased to own it but it is way out of my price range !
Good luck to you - anything is worth what someone will pay.
I'm amazed that you have sold it - unless you had 2 copies ??
Del.

I had one a while ago but was a bit battered, spine was cracked. But apart from that, I’ve only ever seen 1 other copy, it’s a bit of myth item, I didn’t actually believe it existed till I seen one posted by Daniel who runs the Smiths Museum Page on Facebook. If it went for £720 (which it was stuck on right until the last knockings) then I might have regretted selling it, but I can’t be too sore with near £1,900. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s collectors out there digging thru their collections now and listing their copies, we may see another soon! I listed it to create a buzz, as a collector i would’ve loved to partake in that auction, it’s one of the best Smiths items listed in recent memory, in my opinion. I understand it was out of most people’s price range at the end, but for any collectors who were sitting back watching, if you had the funds you should’ve bidded. I know I would have.

Back
Top Bottom