Home Is A Question Mark

• Thread starter sorrow of stamford bridge
  • Start date
S

sorrow of stamford bridge

I don't know why, but illness brings nostalgia, and it took me to rooting through the archives of TTY.

On 9th of January 2004 the list of songs recorded for YATQ was published. All the songs materialised except for "Home Is A Question Mark".

It's probably well known and I've missed it, but does anyone know why it was pulled and if it materialised?

Also, whatever happened to the youthful faces on the closing titles of Introducing Morrissey...again, nostalgia.

maybe that song turns into another one, I rememeber that in the pre-tracklist for ringleader appears a song called "action man" maybe this song turns into "action is my middle name"

maybe that song turns into another one, I rememeber that in the pre-tracklist for ringleader appears a song called "action man" maybe this song turns into "action is my middle name"

Boz confirmed awhile back that these two were in fact two different songs, and "Action Man" was never fully completed.

In 2004 some lyrics from Quarry leaked. They all subsequently appeared in songs, apart from...

"I do not flinch if the doorbell rings
I sit and I yawn
With my curtains drawn
Saintly patience tips so easy to sin
The prolonged pregnant pause
Will the last laugh be yours?"

Which, I'm guessing, come from HIAQM.

P.

In 2004 some lyrics from Quarry leaked. They all subsequently appeared in songs, apart from...

"I do not flinch if the doorbell rings
I sit and I yawn
With my curtains drawn
Saintly patience tips so easy to sin
The prolonged pregnant pause
Will the last laugh be yours?"

Which, I'm guessing, come from HIAQM.

P.

God that's good. Why the f*** didn't he use it?

Alain provided the music and the song was published by Warner-Chappell. Of course, he would be biased but when asked about it, he said it was (paraphrasing) a great song that got away.

There are some confusing aspects to the latter-day YATQ B-sides. The Public Image and The Slum Mums were part of the initial track/B-side list in early 2004, thus presumably recorded with Alain. When The Slum Mums came out, Jesse was credited with guitar; neither Jesse or Alain are credited on The Public Image. I believe it also remains somewhat in dispute if an actual studio (non-Janice Long Session) version of I'm Playing Easy To Get was completed.

One has to wonder if he just soured on any of these - the lyrics Peter shared above and the lyrics to I'm Playing Easy To Get mop the floor with, say, I Am Two People. I thought Easy To Get was very amusing and touching in turns.

Alain provided the music and the song was published by Warner-Chappell. Of course, he would be biased but when asked about it, he said it was (paraphrasing) a great song that got away.

There are some confusing aspects to the latter-day YATQ B-sides. The Public Image and The Slum Mums were part of the initial track/B-side list in early 2004, thus presumably recorded with Alain. When The Slum Mums came out, Jesse was credited with guitar; neither Jesse or Alain are credited on The Public Image. I believe it also remains somewhat in dispute if an actual studio (non-Janice Long Session) version of I'm Playing Easy To Get was completed.

One has to wonder if he just soured on any of these - the lyrics Peter shared above and the lyrics to I'm Playing Easy To Get mop the floor with, say, I Am Two People. I thought Easy To Get was very amusing and touching in turns.

I'm Playing Easy To Get was great lyrically and I recall Morrissey saying they attempted it in the studio, but it just didn't come together. I Am Two People Is chugalug filler, the intro of which was resurrected note for note for I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, which itself is chugalug filler. In my opinion.

Another song you mention, Jamie, is The Public Image, which is tremendous. And one of those rare songs that couples a jaunty tune with a real instance of Morrissey completely opening up himself.

P.

Last edited:
I'm Playing Easy To Get was great lyrically and I recall Morrissey saying they attempted it in the studio, but it just didn't come together. I Am Two People Is chugalug filler, the intro of which was resurrected note for note for I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, which itself is chugalug filler. In my opinion.

Another song you mention, Jamie, is The Public Image, which is tremendous. And one of those rare songs that couples a jaunty tune with a real instance of Morrissey completely opening up himself.

P.

Agreed on the The Public Image. It has a nice, slow build to it a la We'll Let You Know. Gary Day played some really subtle and tasteful bass on it.

I can see I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now as cut from the cloth of I Am Two People but the lyric, production, and especially the delivery were more heartfelt. The latter comes off as "oh shit, we have a second CD single we need a B-side for." It's half-assed from top to chiming bottom.

I prefer I Am Two People to Friday Mourning.

Yeah, that's right.

Alain provided the music and the song was published by Warner-Chappell.

This is correct and IIRC these credits were revealed around the time of the Isle of Wright festival back in March or April 2005.

There are some confusing aspects to the latter-day YATQ B-sides. The Public Image and The Slum Mums were part of the initial track/B-side list in early 2004, thus presumably recorded with Alain.

Didn't Jesse and Mikey play on the "No One Can Hold a Candle to You" cover? I've always assumed that since the Public Image and Slum Mums were tacked along with that cover, they didn't bother to list the correct musicians. And to add to another interesting twist from that era, Jesse Tobias is credited as guitars along with Boz and Alain on the deluxe Quarry album with the silver artwork. Jesse did play on a couple post-Quarry session b-sides featured on the deluxe but the credit listing does leave the wrongful impression that he made playing contributions to the actual album.

I believe it also remains somewhat in dispute if an actual studio (non-Janice Long Session) version of I'm Playing Easy To Get was completed.

I think there were some rumors that the song was attempted during the Ringleader sessions but was never completed. I've always wondered if they ever considered a studio version of Noise is the Best Revenge during those sessions as well.

In Oslo he suggests how he's got to the unthinkable stage where he cannot remember which musicians played on which records.

Some great insights here on what may have been, thank you all.

In total agreement with the praise for The Public Image. I rashly sold all of my Morrissey rarities after divorce three years ago, what a mistake. I bought the IHFJ single back last weekend and am so glad to have it back. The Slum Mums also has something special to it. I just wish I could get the 2011 tour dates back, how I regret missing them. The hope of the O2 feels very fragile!

This is fun.
Waiting for .... :

Home is a Question Mark
Hanratty
I'm not worth hitting
Action Man - the original one
Belfast
The Longer I live
Teresa, Teresa
I know who i love
I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me
When I Was Young
I'm Looking Forward To Going Back
Naked Civil Servant
Kitt - a proper recording studio recording would be lovely (before the end !)
NIGHTMARE(S)
The Leeches Go On Removing
Sharp Bend, Fast Car, Goodbye
I don't want to finish.......................................

THIS NEEDS SOMEONE BRAVE TO SIT DOWN WITH MORRISSEY AND TALK TO HIM ABOUT THESE SONGS
OVER A PINT x

From a 2002 interview by Janice Long:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/02/10/06/0021205.shtml

Janice: Welcome home (pause). This is home...?
Morrissey: Home is a question mark.

Yes, I remember that interview because - in my ears and my mind - there was a snigger after that sentence, which was cut by the mic fading. There is a song called HOME IS A QUESTION MARK and we WANT IT !

Like I say above, does no-one have a clue ? "No one seems to know what to do":

SOMEONE NEEDS TO SIT DOWN WITH MORRISSEY OVER A PINT (OR TWO) AND TALK TO HIM ABOUT SONGS AND SONGWRITING etc and tease out these beauties. I don't mean stalking. I mean proper work. Proper discussions. And also make it snappy.

x

Back
Top Bottom