HMV responds to Morrissey’s “Queen Is Dead” singles sales complaints - Pitchfork

HMV Responds to Morrissey’s “Queen Is Dead” Singles Sales Complaints - Pitchfork
By Jazz Monroe, June 20th.

Retailer says they wanted to “give genuine fans as much chance as possible to buy a copy”
0bcc8e52.jpg

HMV has responded to Morrissey’s Facebook post accusing the store of trying to “freeze sales” of the Smiths’ “The Queen Is Dead” single reissue. Morrissey complained Saturday that the store was limiting the 7" and 12" singles’ sales to one-per-customer. (He encouraged fans to wear false noses, clip-on ears, nurse outfits, stilts, or “variable wigs” to fool cashiers.) In a statement to Pitchfork, HMV says they wanted to “give genuine fans as much chance as possible to buy a copy” of the limited-edition single, and that, by Saturday, it had nearly sold out anyway. Read their full statement below.

"Our stores are encouraged to use these stickers where a release is known to be extremely limited in order to prevent bulk buying and on-line resales at inflated prices. This approach gives genuine fans as much chance as possible to find and buy a copy. Over 90% of the allocation we were given across both formats had sold before Morrissey posted his comments on Saturday evening."

The Pitchfork story was immediately then shared via N.M.E.:
HMV responds to Morrissey’s ‘sales freeze’ claims.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-hmv-smiths-freeze-sales-response-2090678

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly sold out anyway. Sheesh I just can't see what morrisseys problem with this is. I don't know if he's even serious as the purpose for the sticker is obvious and he must know it. It's like his statement is encouraging resellers. I would say it's a prank to promote the release but it was gonna sell out anyway. Is it because he wanted it to chart or something

By Jazz Monroe, June 20th.

Retailer says they wanted to “give genuine fans as much chance as possible to buy a copy”
View attachment 41766
HMV has responded to Morrissey’s Facebook post accusing the store of trying to “freeze sales” of the Smiths’ “The Queen Is Dead” single reissue. Morrissey complained Saturday that the store was limiting the 7" and 12" singles’ sales to one-per-customer. (He encouraged fans to wear false noses, clip-on ears, nurse outfits, stilts, or “variable wigs” to fool cashiers.) In a statement to Pitchfork, HMV says they wanted to “give genuine fans as much chance as possible to buy a copy” of the limited-edition single, and that, by Saturday, it had nearly sold out anyway. Read their full statement below.

"Our stores are encouraged to use these stickers where a release is known to be extremely limited in order to prevent bulk buying and on-line resales at inflated prices. This approach gives genuine fans as much chance as possible to find and buy a copy. Over 90% of the allocation we were given across both formats had sold before Morrissey posted his comments on Saturday evening."

http://pitchfork.com/news/hmv-responds-to-morrisseys-queen-is-dead-singles-sales-complaints/

The Pitchfork story was immediately then shared via N.M.E.:
HMV responds to Morrissey’s ‘sales freeze’ claims.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-hmv-smiths-freeze-sales-response-2090678

Regards,
FWD.

Yes, we all know what reason is going to be given. So now, won't they just confess and tell us why they are censoring Morrissey? (for the proof is... obvious as snow) and who told them to do it? Surely someone's palms are getting greased. ;)

Yes, we all know what reason is going to be given. So now, won't they just confess and tell us why they are censoring Morrissey? (for the proof is... obvious as snow) and who told them to do it? Surely someone's palms are getting greased. ;)

I think you need to look up "censor" in a dictionary.

I think you need to look up "censor" in a dictionary.

Maybe it's not the right word, but I think it works fine in context of my post. As in suppressing an artist, or impeding them from having the wider platform they deserve for expressing themselves.

Bullshit. The only way to "prevent bulk buying and on-line resales at inflated prices" is releasing the right amount of a product to satisfy the demand. They knew they were doing exactly the opposite of that because they said it literally: "Our stores are encouraged to use these stickers where a release is known to be extremely limited". The question is why.

Maybe it's not the right word, but I think it works fine in context of my post. As in suppressing an artist, or impeding them from having the wider platform they deserve for expressing themselves.

I hear what you are saying, I just don't see your point of view on this. I'm failing to see the following.

- What specific evidence suggests the sticker suppresses morrissey.

- Is it the responsibility of hmv to create a wider platform for morrissey.

- The word deserve, I've never heard used in business decisions before.

Bullshit. The only way to "prevent bulk buying and on-line resales at inflated prices" is releasing the right amount of a product to satisfy the demand. They knew they were doing exactly the opposite of that because they said it literally: "Our stores are encouraged to use these stickers where a release is known to be extremely limited". The question is why.
This will be a criticism to be directed at the record company rather than HMV? Considering it was available in stores other than HMV.

I don't think Morrissey cares about real fans. If eBayers manage to get him further up the charts and more money, it's just the same to him...

I don't think Morrissey cares about real fans. If eBayers manage to get him further up the charts and more money, it's just the same to him...

I don't know about the money but I do think he'd be for it because of the charts

I hear what you are saying, I just don't see your point of view on this. I'm failing to see the following.

- What specific evidence suggests the sticker suppresses morrissey.

as obvious as snow, No1uno, as obvious as ... snow.

FREE MORRISSEY... AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW !!!!

;)

I'm assuming you're being facetious with this post. Wasn't it already pointed out here that the sticker has appeared on several other releases? I think it makes Morrissey's rant look all the more foolish. How would a record company & store or anyone involved benefit by intentionally repressing sales?

Jazz Monroe sounds like a made up name.
Furthermore, I feel that the biggest problem with the sticker was that it deterred potential buyers (fan or otherwise) from purchssing multiple copies and getting the single to number one, which would have been quite an accomplishment. It's obvious how important chart positions are to the Man and it seems he just can win.
This statement from HMV reads as though they need to cover their asses by being selectively inclusive when it comes to stickering these limited releases.

Is stickering a word?

Jazz Monroe sounds like a made up name.
Furthermore, I feel that the biggest problem with the sticker was that it deterred potential buyers (fan or otherwise) from purchssing multiple copies and getting the single to number one, which would have been quite an accomplishment. It's obvious how important chart positions are to the Man and it seems he just can win.
This statement from HMV reads as though they need to cover their asses by being selectively inclusive when it comes to stickering these limited releases.

Is stickering a word?

Now it is.

I'm assuming you're being facetious with this post. Wasn't it already pointed out here that the sticker has appeared on several other releases? I think it makes Morrissey's rant look all the more foolish. How would a record company & store or anyone involved benefit by intentionally repressing sales?

'I'm assuming you're being facetious'
fa·ce·tious

fəˈsēSHəs/
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Yes, I agree with you, this is a serious issue. ;)

'Wasn't it already pointed out here that the sticker has appeared on several other releases?'

I know, I know ! VERY clever of them ! VERY clever. Covering up their tracks!

'How would a record company & store or anyone involved benefit by intentionally repressing sales?'

It's the old 'I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine' routine. Like radio stations that get paid to play crap songs, PAYOLA! baby ! PAYOLA.

Or maybe it's not about money at all, maybe it's something darker, much much... DARKER.

Which brings us to the real question......

So who is really pulling the strings? Who is really making these decisions without the artist's consent to CONTROL their ART?

yes.... CONTROL.

Why do they want to stop the MESSAGE of MORRISSEY from spreading? Is his ART, his TRUTH, really so dangerous that it needs to be limited and held back so as to not unleash it in it's full glory upon this sad little world?

Just who's pulling the strings ????? :paranoid:

I think I get it now. Queue drum roll...

Morrissey is the mastermind behind the entire scheme. The stickers were placed at HIS request. The reasons - 1.) to give him opportunity to publicly wield the victim card (he lervs this) and 2.) to try to inflate interest in the "reissue, repackage" re-release of TQID (which no one was excited about) and create a false sense of scarcity.

Only Morrissey could be so devious ... oh that Sweet and Tender Hooligan!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom