HMV purchase The Ritz

Brel

Guttersnipe
The Ritz (Manchester) has been bought by HMV. The venue of The Smiths first gig supporting Blue Rhondo a la Turk, was built in 1927 and has been a Manchester nightclub mainly, with the occasional concerts here and there. Hopefully this might signal a change of emphasis towards more live music?

More importantly it was the place where a certain young man made his intentions known to a certain young lady, over 21 years ago. I'm off out to pick her something nice for Christmas now. ;)

... And the place where thousands of student nurses got picked by leary old men. And where thousands of granny's go in the hope of bagging a pissed up undergrad :)

Which one were you, Brel?:D

Still, a great live venue - let's hope HMV do a good job with it. Does HMV own any other venues like this?

Dave

HMV bought some live music venues in London (Forum and Hammersmith Apollo) earlier.

Good to know the future of the oldest music venue in Whitworth Street is secured.

... And the place where thousands of student nurses got picked by leary old men. And where thousands of granny's go in the hope of bagging a pissed up undergrad :)

Which one were you, Brel?:D

Still, a great live venue - let's hope HMV do a good job with it. Does HMV own any other venues like this?

Dave

I never went in on Grab-a-Granny night. Not the place for a young Catholic boy! The New Conti used to be the favourite hang out of student nurses. Nowadays they have all grown up and go in the Press Club.

I don't know if HMV own any others?

What a crock. They announced they are closing what, 60 shops, and making all the people who work in those shops redundant, yet they have the money for this? Nice priorities, HMV.

Wonder if they'll rename it to something stupid like 'The HMV Forum' lol like the one in Brum.

Also, let's hope they sort out the floor in the Ritz, also, it's a bit of a dump.

What a crock. They announced they are closing what, 60 shops, and making all the people who work in those shops redundant, yet they have the money for this? Nice priorities, HMV.

Thats where the money is nowadays in the music industry, live events.

Back
Top Bottom