His hallowed name mentioned in two articles.

Ostrich Churchyard

> Another good one to listen to
> is "Ostrich Churchyard", which *would* have been OJ's
> debut album if they hadn't been signed to Polydor.

This is a common misconception and it's false!!! Many people thought that "Ostrich" would have been the debut LP, and the resulting pop polish applied to "You Can't Hide..." was all the fault of big, bad Polydor - but! "Ostrich" was only ever intended to be demos for the first album. "You Can't Hide" was actually recorded over the Summer of 1981 BEFORE OJ signed up to Polydor. It was paid for my a mixture of Postcard and Rough Trade... Then they signed to Polydor! So their debut LP was always intended to be the shimmering pop masterpiece that is "Hide". I can never tire of its charms. "Dying Day" and the bugle. Growl!

TMF

Re: Ostrich Churchyard

OK, you got me there

I have no problem with the slickness of "You Can't Hide ...." I guess my point was just that it's interesting to hear the two different versions. I was just listening to "You Can't hide ..." a few moments ago ...... bloody hell it's fantastic. I discovered it back in '98, and barely a week goes by when I don't listen to it. So what do you think of OJ's later albums? I have a real soft spot for "Texas Fever", although I do like them all. But the first LP is the best by a long shot IMHO.

OJ OK

> I have no problem with the slickness of "You Can't Hide
> ...." I guess my point was just that it's interesting to
> hear the two different versions.
Agreed. Sadly, I haven't heard "Ostrich". I didn't buy it at the time and now it's scarce.

> I was just listening to
> "You Can't hide ..." a few moments ago ...... bloody
> hell it's fantastic.
Yes, it is! I can never tire of it! It just makes me want to jump around my room.

> I discovered it back in '98, and barely a
> week goes by when I don't listen to it.
I got the "Esteemed" best of back in 1992, thought it was ok... Bought the reissued in 1998 on a whim and didn't regret it!

> So what do you think of OJ's later albums?
Not overly keen on "Rip it up". Some good tracks. I like "Louise Louise" a lot. "Texas Fever" is excellent in parts, but seems patchy. The final eponymous album is very good, with some fine songs and guitar sounds on it. "What Presence?!" and "The Artisans", for example. But you can't beat the debut for sheer exuberance! And surely, the early OJ sound defined the UK indie scene for the next 5 years.

TMF

Re: OJ OK

Rip It Up is the mosted dated of the albums. (mmmm .... sax solo), but you're right, "Louise Louise" is great, as are the singles "Rip it Up", "Flesh of my flesh" and "I can't help myself" - although the Zeke tracks were ill advised.

and gain I say, how nice to meet an OJ fan

My favourite song's entitled 'Boredom'

> Rip It Up is the mosted dated of the albums. (mmmm .... sax
> solo), but you're right, "Louise Louise" is great, as
> are the singles "Rip it Up", "Flesh of my
> flesh" and "I can't help myself" - although the
> Zeke tracks were ill advised.

Interesting to hear Malcolm Ross's "Turn Away" though - dunno if you're a fan of Josef K, but its presence on the LP is a bit odd! Don't like the Zeke tracks much... Sounds like the LP was thrown together in a hurry and they had to scramble for tracks.

TMF

Postcard

ahhh yes, Josef K. The Television to OJ's Velvets. (maybe) I do like them, although I think their singles (esp. "The Missionary") are more successful than their album proper. I think the "Endless Soul" compilation makes a good case for them as a seriously overlooked pop band.

Do you like the Postcard Aztec Camera singles? I friend put them onto CD for me, and they're brilliant. And of course there was The Go-Betweens one-off on Postcard, also fantastic. But them you're talking to (probably) the biggest Go-Betweens fan in the world.

Ooh, I wouldn't mention that if I were you..

> And of course there was
> The Go-Betweens one-off on Postcard, also fantastic. But them
> you're talking to (probably) the biggest Go-Betweens fan in the
> world.

The Magic Fairy lent a Go-Betweens album to my brother, who has left it at his friend's house. If you mention the Go-Between's you'll stir up all the animosity again! Sob!

My brother is a vair big Go-Between's fan.

LMC x

The Queen's Tattooes

> The Magic Fairy lent a Go-Betweens album to my brother, who has
> left it at his friend's house. If you mention the Go-Between's
> you'll stir up all the animosity again! Sob!

Yes! I was fuming! I wanted to put "Streets of your town" onto a compilation tape I was putting together, but when I asked for the CD back LMC's brother had bloomin' left it at somebody else's house! So I had to go out and buy "Sixteen Lovers Lane" to get it again! FUME!

> My brother is a vair big Go-Between's fan.

I can vouch for that. He's 22 st.

TMF

Back
Top Bottom