Hindley and The Smiths: art vs artifice

Found this article in the Guardian today and the reference to Suffer Little Children reminded how, at one point, Morrissey was capable of really connecting emotionally with others and could show kindness, warmth and compassion.

T-shirts with Myra Hindley on them? Modern art has forgotten how to care
by Jonathan Jones - The Guardian

Excerpt:

When The Smiths released Suffer Little Children, their song about the Moors Murders, they too were criticised for exploiting tragedy. And yet Morrissey’s lyrics do what images of Hindley cannot do, however clever the artistic manipulations of her photograph may or may not be. Morrissey imagines the ghosts of the murdered children speaking to their killers. His Hindley is a woman in hell, haunted by the innocents she helped to slaughter. Reading Morrissey’s words again after all these years reminds me that art can be compassionate: “We may be dead and we may be gone/ But we will be, we will be, we will be, right by your side/ Until the day you die.”

521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a morrissey song, it's a smiths song, if your going to troll Morrissey at least get the facts right
I think facts are the least of his problems. Accusing Morrissey of capitalising on murdered children says more about him and the way he sees things rather than it does say about Morrissey. Suffer Little Children is a perfect and poetically beautiful sentiment distilled in song. If you see it as anything else than, you are really scraping away at the bottom of your barrel.

On the other hand this T shirt is a pile of shit.

ugh, who IS that mesmerizing woman with the incredible cheekbones?! wow, just wow. what an intensely appealing creature. the second song i LOVED (edit: like really f***ing loved. like, i really needed that. an elixir for the horrible mood i've been in all day). the first song was...eh. but as i told someone before sometimes it takes me a while to like something, and sometimes my favourite songs are ones i didnt like at first. but based on the second song and the fantastic black-clad singing lady, it's certainly worth looking into.
ah, but see thats kind of what i dont like about movies!: that feeling of entering a different time and space. i mean, i like it after i've watched it, the feeling that for a brief time you entered this other world, but it always scares me beforehand, it always makes me not want to watch a movie. because its like crossing a threshold and that involves mental energy and preparation and flexibility and an ability to bounce back, and i have the ability, you know, to become frightfully attached to movies. well, not so much anymore it seems, but i used to. that's why i think i cling to series', because after that initial feeling of being in unfamiliar territory and that wary sense of "what am i in for?", it becomes a nice familiar thing, the scary threshold having been removed. also before i watch movies im always rather unfoundedly negative on anything taking place in different eras or which present a different way of life, to the point of being turned off from watching them. im always thinking.. how am i supposed to relate to this? (i dont like watching movies with all males for this same reason... which also means that i categorically refuse to watch disney movies without princesses, none of that talking animal or jungle boy rubbish). but when i think about it, no matter where or in what age the movie takes place, im always surprised to find that i can somehow relate to it and i think thats probably one of the most valuable things about watching movies. so in short i need to branch out more.
well im not describing all of canada. it's a rather large country you know, and id be lying if i said i knew what was going on in 90% of it. hell, they could be having civil war for all i know--i wash my hands of it. and it's not that it's particularly sunny here either, because it hasnt been that warm for the last couple of weeks, it's just that there are never any clouds, so it's this awful bright exposed feeling which i hate. forgive me, im like an old person the way i go on about the weather and am so very particular about it and how it affects me. i used to be indifferent to the weather; these days im constantly checking the forecast, half hoping that if i keep checking it will stave off the impending doom of full blown summer.
do you like jumping in puddles too?! :p

I only jump in puddles when I'm wearing galoshes. Not a big fan of soggy socks. Maybe if I wore flip flops or sandals, I might jump in puddles more. Unfortunately I don't own sandals or flip flops. I do have a pair of shower slippers, but alas, I never wear them outside the house. There was an incident a few years ago, where I was walking down the sidewalk on a windy day. In the distance I saw either a cherry or crab apple tree in bloom. The wind was blowing the white petals from the tree down, kind of like a rainfall. When I got underneath the tree, I spread my arms out wide and spun around in a circle, feeling free as the petals rained down on me. Maybe it was my way of jumping in a puddle with no galoshes on, because it was a moment where I just let go and wasn't worried if anyone was watching. Whatever brought on this moment of inhibition, I have no idea. I also don't own galoshes.
Now I see what you're saying about enjoying the familiarity off watching a series. Yes, it can be very appealing. Sometimes when I watch movies set in different eras, I do find myself being negative and thinking, big deal, they built some nice looking sets and sewed some authentic looking costumes. Who cares, is this really all they have to offer. Then twenty minutes later, I like the damn thing. I've never been a big fan of disney movies either, but I would like to see Fantasia. My Mom would take me to see some of the Disney cartoons when I was little, but I remember the experience of being in the theater, more than the movies themselves.
I'm glad you liked Adore. Discovering a new song that I really like is one of my favorite things. Adore however, is a bit of an outlier for the Savages. Most of the songs are louder and harder. It is interesting to notice that they reference Morrissey in Adore. The line "I understand the urgency of life", sounds like a reference to Moz when he sang "some people, they do not understand the urgency of life", in Angel Angel... I wish my lazy ass understood the urgency of life a little bit more. But isn't Jehny Beth beautiful. She's really something. You should she her live, the way she moves around on stage full of so much energy and radiance. When I saw her the other night, she jumped into the audience and sang one song on her knees, as the crowd held her aloft. I also think that she subscribes to the uniform theory, because I notice her wearing that same outfit of black jeans and jacket and a black bra and a pair of high heels. Here's another one I enjoy both musically and message wise:

I just realized she's wearing something else though, but I think she goes through uniform stretches.

I only jump in puddles when I'm wearing galoshes. Not a big fan of soggy socks. Maybe if I wore flip flops or sandals, I might jump in puddles more. Unfortunately I don't own sandals or flip flops. I do have a pair of shower slippers, but alas, I never wear them outside the house. There was an incident a few years ago, where I was walking down the sidewalk on a windy day. In the distance I saw either a cherry or crab apple tree in bloom. The wind was blowing the white petals from the tree down, kind of like a rainfall. When I got underneath the tree, I spread my arms out wide and spun around in a circle, feeling free as the petals rained down on me. Maybe it was my way of jumping in a puddle with no galoshes on, because it was a moment where I just let go and wasn't worried if anyone was watching. Whatever brought on this moment of inhibition, I have no idea. I also don't own galoshes.
Now I see what you're saying about enjoying the familiarity off watching a series. Yes, it can be very appealing. Sometimes when I watch movies set in different eras, I do find myself being negative and thinking, big deal, they built some nice looking sets and sewed some authentic looking costumes. Who cares, is this really all they have to offer. Then twenty minutes later, I like the damn thing. I've never been a big fan of disney movies either, but I would like to see Fantasia. My Mom would take me to see some of the Disney cartoons when I was little, but I remember the experience of being in the theater, more than the movies themselves.
I'm glad you liked Adore. Discovering a new song that I really like is one of my favorite things. Adore however, is a bit of an outlier for the Savages. Most of the songs are louder and harder. It is interesting to notice that they reference Morrissey in Adore. The line "I understand the urgency of life", sounds like a reference to Moz when he sang "some people, they do not understand the urgency of life", in Angel Angel... I wish my lazy ass understood the urgency of life a little bit more. But isn't Jehny Beth beautiful. She's really something. You should she her live, the way she moves around on stage full of so much energy and radiance. When I saw her the other night, she jumped into the audience and sang one song on her knees, as the crowd held her aloft. I also think that she subscribes to the uniform theory, because I notice her wearing that same outfit of black jeans and jacket and a black bra and a pair of high heels. Here's another one I enjoy both musically and message wise:

I just realized she's wearing something else though, but I think she goes through uniform stretches.

yes, i like that one too! i think my problem with this kind of music is that i dont listen to it enough, so all the songs kind of sound the same. i looked up a few of their other songs on youtube, and was disappointed that there werent any more like adore, but overall i like them. i like their intensity and kind of manic energy. plus all those girls are just soooo cool. i think the bass player is particularly cool (why cant i be cool like that?). im sure it was a great experience seeing them live.
and ohhhhh jehny beth is soooo beautiful, i agree. i love her face so much, i just dont know what to do about it (probably nothing is best). and the facial expressions she makes in that video. ugh, i expire. i noticed her black uniform! all of them have a tendency toward black which i was very happy to see. you see, this comes at a time in my life when i was feeling rather depressed about the sudden realization that i look weird in every colour that isnt black, and not be gothically inclined, i found that rather saddening and was in a petulant slump about it all day yesterday, thinking "i cant wear black every day of my life for the rest of my life when there is a whole world of colours out there, how can one live such a life of unfavourability, at odds with the infinite variety that makes life worth living?" but now that i see all these lovely ladies clad in black, i think it might not be such a bad thing. (although im sure they do it by choice, not, alas, because they are prisoners of black, as i am:( ).
disney movies are pretty lame. i do like the classic ones though. i remember seeing sleeping beauty when i was like 4. it's funny because i remember very little about my life before i was 6, but i do remember sleeping beauty. two scenes stand out in detail: the glorious vision of princess aurora singing and dancing around in the woods, when i was sure i was seeing for the first time the full depth and breadth of female beauty (prince charming who?); and the scene where princess aurora in a trance pricks her finger on the spindle of the spinning wheel and falls into a deep sleep. i was obsessed with the moment where maleficent whisked her cape away to reveal to the good fairies princess aurora lying on the cold ground, her golden hair sprawled out around her. i used to sit in my kindergarten class and fantasize about fainting like that and that being me on the floor. if only i could be cursed tooooooooo. but why am i talking about this? you've probably never even seen the movie (but i assure you, those two scenes were momentous in my life). oh and not to disappoint you, but i think fantasia was pretty stupid. :p
oh i dont jump in puddles either, seems like a lame thing to do! nothing irks me more than the feel of dirty feet. haha, who does own galoshes? please let's dont use the word galoshes.
aw well that's a beautiful moment under the blossoming trees, i wish i were such a free spirit! one day when i become a travelling gypsy (the day is gonna come) if it happens that the cherry blossoms are in bloom i will make sure to twirl under them.

yes, i like that one too! i think my problem with this kind of music is that i dont listen to it enough, so all the songs kind of sound the same. i looked up a few of their other songs on youtube, and was disappointed that there werent any more like adore, but overall i like them. i like their intensity and kind of manic energy. plus all those girls are just soooo cool. i think the bass player is particularly cool (why cant i be cool like that?). im sure it was a great experience seeing them live.
and ohhhhh jehny beth is soooo beautiful, i agree. i love her face so much, i just dont know what to do about it (probably nothing is best). and the facial expressions she makes in that video. ugh, i expire. i noticed her black uniform! all of them have a tendency toward black which i was very happy to see. you see, this comes at a time in my life when i was feeling rather depressed about the sudden realization that i look weird in every colour that isnt black, and not be gothically inclined, i found that rather saddening and was in a petulant slump about it all day yesterday, thinking "i cant wear black every day of my life for the rest of my life when there is a whole world of colours out there, how can one live such a life of unfavourability, at odds with the infinite variety that makes life worth living?" but now that i see all these lovely ladies clad in black, i think it might not be such a bad thing. (although im sure they do it by choice, not, alas, because they are prisoners of black, as i am:( ).
disney movies are pretty lame. i do like the classic ones though. i remember seeing sleeping beauty when i was like 4. it's funny because i remember very little about my life before i was 6, but i do remember sleeping beauty. two scenes stand out in detail: the glorious vision of princess aurora singing and dancing around in the woods, when i was sure i was seeing for the first time the full depth and breadth of female beauty (prince charming who?); and the scene where princess aurora in a trance pricks her finger on the spindle of the spinning wheel and falls into a deep sleep. i was obsessed with the moment where maleficent whisked her cape away to reveal to the good fairies princess aurora lying on the cold ground, her golden hair sprawled out around her. i used to sit in my kindergarten class and fantasize about fainting like that and that being me on the floor. if only i could be cursed tooooooooo. but why am i talking about this? you've probably never even seen the movie (but i assure you, those two scenes were momentous in my life). oh and not to disappoint you, but i think fantasia was pretty stupid. :p
oh i dont jump in puddles either, seems like a lame thing to do! nothing irks me more than the feel of dirty feet. haha, who does own galoshes? please let's dont use the word galoshes.
aw well that's a beautiful moment under the blossoming trees, i wish i were such a free spirit! one day when i become a travelling gypsy (the day is gonna come) if it happens that the cherry blossoms are in bloom i will make sure to twirl under them.

I kind of remember Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella and Snow White. I have a younger sister so I was exposed to some of that. Isn't Sleeping Beauty the one where she's locked in a tower and has to spin thread? The thing about all those classic Disney movies, is that I may have seen them, but only remember scenes here and there. Way back when I worked in a movie theater, I remember Bambi was re-released and it was kind of a big deal, because it hadn't been shown in the theaters or on tv for years. I guess that seeing those old films is kind of a link between parents and children. Of course I'll probably never experience that, which is fine by me. I was thinking about how so many Disney films are rated G and remembered one I really like called The Straight Story. Oddly enough, David Lynch directed a film for Disney. About the old guy who rides his riding lawnmower to go visit his brother. It's a funny film and I was always impressed that in was rated G for some reason. I like it because it still has the small town weirdness that David Lynch is good at and yet it appeals to people who would otherwise never like a David Lynch film.
I'm glad Savages helped you with your mixed feelings about wearing black. I don't see it as a problem myself. You could try adding splashes of color here and there. How about all black with colored shoes. Or a colored belt. Or a colored t shirt underneath a black shirt. Oh, or wear all black and put on lime green lipstick! Sexy alien lips! Sorry to joke, it sounds like a serious enough issue, but I guess I felt like I might have a few ideas. Speaking of fashion, Jehny Beth kind of reminds me of one of those Dutch models. There certainly is an androgyny to her and sees plays it up very well. You know, it's been awhile since you told me of any new "chic" movements. I do like hearing about them if you have any.
Haha, okay let's not use the g word. I am glad that I used it, just to get your response to let's don't use it. I do want to add that I am a fan of some of the classic Disney songs.

I kind of remember Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella and Snow White. I have a younger sister so I was exposed to some of that. Isn't Sleeping Beauty the one where she's locked in a tower and has to spin thread? The thing about all those classic Disney movies, is that I may have seen them, but only remember scenes here and there. Way back when I worked in a movie theater, I remember Bambi was re-released and it was kind of a big deal, because it hadn't been shown in the theaters or on tv for years. I guess that seeing those old films is kind of a link between parents and children. Of course I'll probably never experience that, which is fine by me. I was thinking about how so many Disney films are rated G and remembered one I really like called The Straight Story. Oddly enough, David Lynch directed a film for Disney. About the old guy who rides his riding lawnmower to go visit his brother. It's a funny film and I was always impressed that in was rated G for some reason. I like it because it still has the small town weirdness that David Lynch is good at and yet it appeals to people who would otherwise never like a David Lynch film.
I'm glad Savages helped you with your mixed feelings about wearing black. I don't see it as a problem myself. You could try adding splashes of color here and there. How about all black with colored shoes. Or a colored belt. Or a colored t shirt underneath a black shirt. Oh, or wear all black and put on lime green lipstick! Sexy alien lips! Sorry to joke, it sounds like a serious enough issue, but I guess I felt like I might have a few ideas. Speaking of fashion, Jehny Beth kind of reminds me of one of those Dutch models. There certainly is an androgyny to her and sees plays it up very well. You know, it's been awhile since you told me of any new "chic" movements. I do like hearing about them if you have any.
Haha, okay let's not use the g word. I am glad that I used it, just to get your response to let's don't use it. I do want to add that I am a fan of some of the classic Disney songs.
i dont think you do remember sleeping beauty, lol. that isnt the one where she's locked in a tower and has to spin thread (into gold, did you mean?), that's rumpelstiltskin. how can anyone not know that? :p
i feel like disney movies have ruined a lot of fairy tales. for instance, in the original hans christian andersen version of the little mermaid, the mermaid doesnt marry the prince but instead dies, and is turned into seafoam. even as a child i found that really beautiful (and trips to the ocean always had a strange significance for me). she died because she wouldnt kill the prince to save herself. what is a happy ending compared to this absolute inner achievement? but of course most modern audiences cant understand that, cant understand how that could possibly be better.
i have not heard of that david lynch film. sounds interesting, i shall have to watch it! i see it's got harry dean stanton in it!
yessss she reminds me of one of those dutch models too, im so glad you said it! shes a bit butch but at the same time so pretty and waifish--an amazing combination. in fact, now that i think about it im really jealous that you got to see her in the flesh. what a dream girl. adrogynous dames are so great. what do you think of this acne studios model? http://www.acnestudios.com/ca/en/shop/women/coats-jackets/swift-black.html at first i was like ugh, whyyy? but now i think she's beautiful (although it goes without saying, no jehnny beth).
other chic movements. hmmm im stumped. heroin chic? lol bohemian chic? that's always pretty great, but not something you can really pinpoint to an era and call it a movement since every decade always has it's own version of that, so that it's more of a permanent fixture of the fashion world, forever revisited...and i dont know how i feel about that because i feel like bohemianism that is about being trendy or chic is missing the point. yet it has, despite that, yielded some great editorial photos:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OYvfHKYWv..._1997_ph_ellen_von_unwerth_009_trish-copy.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c8/8b/30/c88b3098825cbf4d5d448f4c3b81c3c2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5Xt1aLA3QhA/UdoUganEN7I/AAAAAAACDGU/mgmGk-2mH5Y/s1600/7+agiasm07.jpg

http://imagesgonerogue.com/rogue/preview/malgosia-turkey.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/de/04/e2/de04e2c605b612cda332543588f23815.jpg

http://imagesgonerogue.com/rogue/2011/4/1/malgosia-turkey4.jpg

and probably my favourite editorial ever (i love everything worn by bridget hall in this editorial):
http://sighswhispers.blogspot.ca/2012/05/bohemian-life.html

we could talk about late nineties models if you're up for it! there were some really great ones! sometimes i want to go on ebay and order old vogue magazines just because i feel like fashion from decades past was so much better than it is these days. certainly the editorials were better, more artistic, more risky. now they're just bland and mainstream and full of celebrities.
ill have you know my problem is very serious and should be treated with the utmost gravity. how would you like the colouring of an egon schiele portrait? you would feel like the universe hates you. eww i most certainly will not be wearing lime green lipstick. some girl at work (who is generally gorgeous in an anita ekberg-ish way) was wearing blue lipstick the other day, and looked absolutely atrocious, i was so embarassed for her. she looked like a corpse and not in a good way.
what disney songs are you a fan of? (please dont say let it go). i kinda like the one from beauty and the beast that the plump teapot from murder she wrote sings.
do you hate kids too?! actually i shouldnt say i hate them, i dont hate them, some are actually pretty cute. i just hate being around them.

i dont think you do remember sleeping beauty, lol. that isnt the one where she's locked in a tower and has to spin thread (into gold, did you mean?), that's rumpelstiltskin. how can anyone not know that? :p
i feel like disney movies have ruined a lot of fairy tales. for instance, in the original hans christian andersen version of the little mermaid, the mermaid doesnt marry the prince but instead dies, and is turned into seafoam. even as a child i found that really beautiful (and trips to the ocean always had a strange significance for me). she died because she wouldnt kill the prince to save herself. what is a happy ending compared to this absolute inner achievement? but of course most modern audiences cant understand that, cant understand how that could possibly be better.
i have not heard of that david lynch film. sounds interesting, i shall have to watch it! i see it's got harry dean stanton in it!
yessss she reminds me of one of those dutch models too, im so glad you said it! shes a bit butch but at the same time so pretty and waifish--an amazing combination. in fact, now that i think about it im really jealous that you got to see her in the flesh. what a dream girl. adrogynous dames are so great. what do you think of this acne studios model? http://www.acnestudios.com/ca/en/shop/women/coats-jackets/swift-black.html at first i was like ugh, whyyy? but now i think she's beautiful (although it goes without saying, no jehnny beth).
other chic movements. hmmm im stumped. heroin chic? lol bohemian chic? that's always pretty great, but not something you can really pinpoint to an era and call it a movement since every decade always has it's own version of that, so that it's more of a permanent fixture of the fashion world, forever revisited...and i dont know how i feel about that because i feel like bohemianism that is about being trendy or chic is missing the point. yet it has, despite that, yielded some great editorial photos:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OYvfHKYWv..._1997_ph_ellen_von_unwerth_009_trish-copy.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c8/8b/30/c88b3098825cbf4d5d448f4c3b81c3c2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5Xt1aLA3QhA/UdoUganEN7I/AAAAAAACDGU/mgmGk-2mH5Y/s1600/7+agiasm07.jpg

http://imagesgonerogue.com/rogue/preview/malgosia-turkey.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/de/04/e2/de04e2c605b612cda332543588f23815.jpg

http://imagesgonerogue.com/rogue/2011/4/1/malgosia-turkey4.jpg

and probably my favourite editorial ever (i love everything worn by bridget hall in this editorial):
http://sighswhispers.blogspot.ca/2012/05/bohemian-life.html

we could talk about late nineties models if you're up for it! there were some really great ones! sometimes i want to go on ebay and order old vogue magazines just because i feel like fashion from decades past was so much better than it is these days. certainly the editorials were better, more artistic, more risky. now they're just bland and mainstream and full of celebrities.
ill have you know my problem is very serious and should be treated with the utmost gravity. how would you like the colouring of an egon schiele portrait? you would feel like the universe hates you. eww i most certainly will not be wearing lime green lipstick. some girl at work (who is generally gorgeous in an anita ekberg-ish way) was wearing blue lipstick the other day, and looked absolutely atrocious, i was so embarassed for her. she looked like a corpse and not in a good way.
what disney songs are you a fan of? (please dont say let it go). i kinda like the one from beauty and the beast that the plump teapot from murder she wrote sings.
do you hate kids too?! actually i shouldnt say i hate them, i dont hate them, some are actually pretty cute. i just hate being around them.

Oops, I guess I don't remember Sleeping Beauty like I thought I did. I'm very embarrassed. I like some of the older Disney songs, like Wish Upon A Star, Whistle While You Work, Zip a de doo dah, stuff like that. I really liked an album I heard of jazz artists singing these songs. It was people like Jo Stafford and Louis Armstrong doing like swing versions. That's really interesting about what you said about The Little Mermaid having a different ending. Especially since so many kids are brought up on that movie and the chance of presenting them with a poetic influence was lost in favor of a happy ending. Of course, Hollywood in general does this with a lot of movies. I don't hate kids, it's just that I don't think that I'll ever have any. It's never dawned on me that I would have kids. I really can't even imagine it. I can be around kids for a little while, because I know that I can leave and not have to deal with them anymore.
I'm not sure what I think of that acne studio model. My first thought was that it's a guy. It's really hard to tell, because of the jaw line and the hands. Maybe that model is the very definition of androgyny. I don't know. All I can say is that I'm still thinking. It's certainly quite a contrast to the other models. Those first two with the red hair and the deep reds in the clothing are really beautiful. I do agree that all the Bridget Hall outfits are amazing. The outfit where she's looking at the clay head and the one where she's holding the coke can are my favorites. I also really like how in the first picture, they show Gisele's bare legs and then in the third picture she has on the long skirt. She has nice legs, but they almost look more attractive with the skirt on. I like how it shows how clothing can compliment the body. Those fabrics look like a heavy wool/tweed, but I beat they're really comfortable. Yes, I'd also like to talk about late 90's models too.
Well I guess because I was watching Savages video's on youtube, this came up recommended for me. I never knew this existed, but apparently Jehny Beth sang a bunch of David Bowie songs at some kind of fashion show/ acrobatic performance. What a pleasant surprise. It's cool to, because it was done about a year before David passed. I wonder if he knew about it or had a chance to hear it. I think it's hard for anyone to do justice to Bowie songs, but she really did a good job. Here's my two favorites:

Oops, I guess I don't remember Sleeping Beauty like I thought I did. I'm very embarrassed. I like some of the older Disney songs, like Wish Upon A Star, Whistle While You Work, Zip a de doo dah, stuff like that. I really liked an album I heard of jazz artists singing these songs. It was people like Jo Stafford and Louis Armstrong doing like swing versions. That's really interesting about what you said about The Little Mermaid having a different ending. Especially since so many kids are brought up on that movie and the chance of presenting them with a poetic influence was lost in favor of a happy ending. Of course, Hollywood in general does this with a lot of movies. I don't hate kids, it's just that I don't think that I'll ever have any. It's never dawned on me that I would have kids. I really can't even imagine it. I can be around kids for a little while, because I know that I can leave and not have to deal with them anymore.
I'm not sure what I think of that acne studio model. My first thought was that it's a guy. It's really hard to tell, because of the jaw line and the hands. Maybe that model is the very definition of androgyny. I don't know. All I can say is that I'm still thinking. It's certainly quite a contrast to the other models. Those first two with the red hair and the deep reds in the clothing are really beautiful. I do agree that all the Bridget Hall outfits are amazing. The outfit where she's looking at the clay head and the one where she's holding the coke can are my favorites. I also really like how in the first picture, they show Gisele's bare legs and then in the third picture she has on the long skirt. She has nice legs, but they almost look more attractive with the skirt on. I like how it shows how clothing can compliment the body. Those fabrics look like a heavy wool/tweed, but I beat they're really comfortable. Yes, I'd also like to talk about late 90's models too.
Well I guess because I was watching Savages video's on youtube, this came up recommended for me. I never knew this existed, but apparently Jehny Beth sang a bunch of David Bowie songs at some kind of fashion show/ acrobatic performance. What a pleasant surprise. It's cool to, because it was done about a year before David passed. I wonder if he knew about it or had a chance to hear it. I think it's hard for anyone to do justice to Bowie songs, but she really did a good job. Here's my two favorites:

ahh she is so superb! she did a great job, nice find! yes, generally people shouldnt even bother covering bowies songs, but i find this to be lovely and appropriate. a nice pairing. looks like an interesting event. that ziggy guy is slightly awesome.
i was singing that f***ers song in my head today, despite the shockingly flagrant use of the word f***ers it contains. i was in a poor mood, having, that is, to deal with f***ers, and it seemed to hit the spot.
zip a dee doo dah has never personally resonated with me being about wonderful feelings and sunshine and such. i do like when you wish upon a star.
i never thought i'd have kids either, but mostly that was due to a virulent hatred i had of them since toddlerhood, which i cant explain and which subsided when i became an aunt. i dont hate them anymore, or even dislike them, but i still find them annoying. and even if i did want kids, which i dont, giving birth to children and then devoting years raising them to be decent adults seems to me like a pyrrhic victory: one that isnt worth the cost.
yes, i love those two pictures of bridget as well. the story of the one where she's looking at the clay head with the tool in her hand, is that her lover or whatever has been getting too cozy with gisele, whose head he sculpted, so bridget is going to smash it, while he looks on. crazy kids always smashing shit. i would dress like bridget, but i am not a sexy librarian. alas. plus i can only wear black. i really like gisele when she was younger, she was so natural and sweet looking. she seems to have lost a lot of her lustre and anything that made her unusual since then, in my opinion.
i suppose it's a bit hard to like the acne model, but i enjoy beauty that is built on strange premises.

Yes, I'd also like to talk about late 90's models too.
ah bless your heart, haha (you're such a good sport, listening to my boring shit, i sometimes wonder if i dont astral project in my sleep or something and have been logging on here as a poster named water and writing all these replies to myself. :D)

although, actually, you know, trying to find pictures of them, i realize that i dont really like them that much. i dont know why i thought i did. or maybe i just cant find any pictures that i like. i find that i like all the late 90's models as they are now, as opposed to how they looked at the height of their fame. i find the styles of that time slightly egregious. but nonetheless, these three stand out for me:

audrey marnay (who i had previously thought had the best cheekbones around until i laid my eyes on jehny beth's and now audrey's look rather deflated and unimpressive in comparison)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/6f585e036f373e013b1397dcc355788b/tumblr_mexl6lA6tf1qcah0do1_r1_500.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2f/e0/c3/2fe0c3b5afc1199eb775a95f40ac475e.jpg
http://insearchofsadie.com/wp-conte...her-+Steven+Meisel+-+Model-+Audrey+Marnay.jpg
and just as lovely, if not moreso, now...
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...ner-2016-as-part-of-paris-picture-id507333732
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ytlCc_qne1U/VZk0WWtGnsI/AAAAAAAAuPo/P3NWZnOlAOw/s1600/IMG_6571-630x840.jpg

maggie rizer
http://www.blogcdn.com/main.stylelist.com/media/2010/09/maggie-rizer-240bes092110.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...lprint-chiffon-blouse-and-picture-id599770681
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...-indian-technicolor-movie-picture-id599765327
https://pleasurephoto.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/maggie-rizer-kate-moss-steven-meisel-1999.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PABilzCPq...ultier-craig-mcdean-vogue-october-2002-02.jpg

angela lindvall
http://media.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Angela-Lindvall/Angela-Lindvall-292070.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1084/5157848296_8d12cc349e_b.jpg
https://pleasurephoto.files.wordpre...-us-vogue-march-2000-photo-steven-meisel.jpeg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LtlguVYob...vall-vogue-us-october-1998-great-length-1.jpg
http://www.porcelainista.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumblr_ly5z9jslUe1r06q46o1_500.jpg

ahh she is so superb! she did a great job, nice find! yes, generally people shouldnt even bother covering bowies songs, but i find this to be lovely and appropriate. a nice pairing. looks like an interesting event. that ziggy guy is slightly awesome.
i was singing that f***ers song in my head today, despite the shockingly flagrant use of the word f***ers it contains. i was in a poor mood, having, that is, to deal with f***ers, and it seemed to hit the spot.
zip a dee doo dah has never personally resonated with me being about wonderful feelings and sunshine and such. i do like when you wish upon a star.
i never thought i'd have kids either, but mostly that was due to a virulent hatred i had of them since toddlerhood, which i cant explain and which subsided when i became an aunt. i dont hate them anymore, or even dislike them, but i still find them annoying. and even if i did want kids, which i dont, giving birth to children and then devoting years raising them to be decent adults seems to me like a pyrrhic victory: one that isnt worth the cost.
yes, i love those two pictures of bridget as well. the story of the one where she's looking at the clay head with the tool in her hand, is that her lover or whatever has been getting too cozy with gisele, whose head he sculpted, so bridget is going to smash it, while he looks on. crazy kids always smashing shit. i would dress like bridget, but i am not a sexy librarian. alas. plus i can only wear black. i really like gisele when she was younger, she was so natural and sweet looking. she seems to have lost a lot of her lustre and anything that made her unusual since then, in my opinion.
i suppose it's a bit hard to like the acne model, but i enjoy beauty that is built on strange premises.

ah bless your heart, haha (you're such a good sport, listening to my boring shit, i sometimes wonder if i dont astral project in my sleep or something and have been logging on here as a poster named water and writing all these replies to myself. :D)

although, actually, you know, trying to find pictures of them, i realize that i dont really like them that much. i dont know why i thought i did. or maybe i just cant find any pictures that i like. i find that i like all the late 90's models as they are now, as opposed to how they looked at the height of their fame. i find the styles of that time slightly egregious. but nonetheless, these three stand out for me:

audrey marnay (who i had previously thought had the best cheekbones around until i laid my eyes on jehny beth's and now audrey's look rather deflated and unimpressive in comparison)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/6f585e036f373e013b1397dcc355788b/tumblr_mexl6lA6tf1qcah0do1_r1_500.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2f/e0/c3/2fe0c3b5afc1199eb775a95f40ac475e.jpg
http://insearchofsadie.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-Q68y9t6TWIg/UJjuxtlhCRI/AAAAAAAAHh0/LpOxWJDotwA/s1600/The+Downtown+Scene+US+Vogue+August+1998+Photographer-+Steven+Meisel+-+Model-+Audrey+Marnay.jpg
and just as lovely, if not moreso, now...
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...ner-2016-as-part-of-paris-picture-id507333732
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ytlCc_qne1U/VZk0WWtGnsI/AAAAAAAAuPo/P3NWZnOlAOw/s1600/IMG_6571-630x840.jpg

maggie rizer
http://www.blogcdn.com/main.stylelist.com/media/2010/09/maggie-rizer-240bes092110.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...lprint-chiffon-blouse-and-picture-id599770681
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...-indian-technicolor-movie-picture-id599765327
https://pleasurephoto.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/maggie-rizer-kate-moss-steven-meisel-1999.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PABilzCPq...ultier-craig-mcdean-vogue-october-2002-02.jpg

angela lindvall
http://media.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Angela-Lindvall/Angela-Lindvall-292070.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1084/5157848296_8d12cc349e_b.jpg
https://pleasurephoto.files.wordpre...-us-vogue-march-2000-photo-steven-meisel.jpeg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LtlguVYob...vall-vogue-us-october-1998-great-length-1.jpg
http://www.porcelainista.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumblr_ly5z9jslUe1r06q46o1_500.jpg

I guess I became a little obsessed with that Space Oddity performance. Must have watched the thing about 20 times. I really love the part where it cuts to a close up of Jehnny and she sings "tell my wife..."
It's just one of those magnetic moments for me. The performances were part of an opening of a David Bowie art exhibition in France. I think he was in attendance, but I'm not sure. Jehnny was one of three ladies who sang different Bowie songs. I tried to download the full performance, off some random blog I found but it didn't work. I'd really like to see the art exhibit also. Would have liked to be there.
That's great that you were singing f***ers to help deal with actual f***ers. Hope it helped. There's stretches where I feel I could sing that song everyday. It's a handy little mantra.
I give anybody who has kids credit, because it seems like a thankless task to me also. On the rare occasion, I've thought it might be "rewarding" in some way, but thankfully those occasions pass very quickly. Kids actually really like me, because I think they can sense that I have no ability to discipline them.
I hope you can learn to embrace your ability to only wear black. It's quite the gift really. Now if it were pink, I would say you had a problem.
Well I took another look at that acne model. Didn't realize I could scroll down and see different angles of her. Even looked at her in a few different outfits and I like her much better. I also looked at a few of the mens shirts and liked the black one with white buttons a lot, but 200 dollars! Maybe one day.
Well it's true, I really am a figment of your imagination. Well in my case, a fig newton of your imagination. Still, isn't it fun talking to yourself? Well in my case, fun's probably not the right word. Haha.
Truth is, I really do like hearing about these models. How could I object to looking at beautiful women. I also like your sense of style. I'd never heard of any three of the models you presented, but they're all very attractive. I agree that Audrey is more attractive now than when she was younger. Part of the attraction is that she seems more confident in herself, more care free. That's the true beauty of age for me.
I did find the picture of Maggie Rizer and Kate Moss to be kind of shocking. They look like two girls from Orange County, who go around whistling Zippity-do-dah. f*** that shit.

I guess I became a little obsessed with that Space Oddity performance. Must have watched the thing about 20 times. I really love the part where it cuts to a close up of Jehnny and she sings "tell my wife..."
It's just one of those magnetic moments for me. The performances were part of an opening of a David Bowie art exhibition in France. I think he was in attendance, but I'm not sure. Jehnny was one of three ladies who sang different Bowie songs. I tried to download the full performance, off some random blog I found but it didn't work. I'd really like to see the art exhibit also. Would have liked to be there.
That's great that you were singing f***ers to help deal with actual f***ers. Hope it helped. There's stretches where I feel I could sing that song everyday. It's a handy little mantra.
I give anybody who has kids credit, because it seems like a thankless task to me also. On the rare occasion, I've thought it might be "rewarding" in some way, but thankfully those occasions pass very quickly. Kids actually really like me, because I think they can sense that I have no ability to discipline them.
I hope you can learn to embrace your ability to only wear black. It's quite the gift really. Now if it were pink, I would say you had a problem.
Well I took another look at that acne model. Didn't realize I could scroll down and see different angles of her. Even looked at her in a few different outfits and I like her much better. I also looked at a few of the mens shirts and liked the black one with white buttons a lot, but 200 dollars! Maybe one day.
Well it's true, I really am a figment of your imagination. Well in my case, a fig newton of your imagination. Still, isn't it fun talking to yourself? Well in my case, fun's probably not the right word. Haha.
Truth is, I really do like hearing about these models. How could I object to looking at beautiful women. I also like your sense of style. I'd never heard of any three of the models you presented, but they're all very attractive. I agree that Audrey is more attractive now than when she was younger. Part of the attraction is that she seems more confident in herself, more care free. That's the true beauty of age for me.
I did find the picture of Maggie Rizer and Kate Moss to be kind of shocking. They look like two girls from Orange County, who go around whistling Zippity-do-dah. f*** that shit.
oh my gosh, you're right about the maggie rizer/kate moss picture. i really like it though, they both look so luminous. funnily enough, it was actually a vogue cover.
i hadnt checked out the mens section of the acne website before. now im jealous, the mens section has so much better coats and jackets than the womens section. not fair! be glad you live in the states, that shirt is $300+ dollars in canadian dollars. which means that you should probably buy yourself one because you're getting a deal, living in the states. this is called logic.
sometimes i like to fantasize about having a kid and naming him narcissus aloisius or lucifer maximillian augustus or something and dressing him in capes and a pince-nez and raising him to be really weird and pretentious and flowery and such. that would be the only way i would want to have a child, but that's probably a good argument for me not having one. when i think about having kids i think about having other peoples kids and this is a fallacy, because in truth i'd probably like my own kids--if they were like me, and thus cool-like. :cool:
yes, you are right, if i have to wear only one colour for the rest of my days, im glad it's black. pink would definitely be problematic. i think navy is okay too, and red, but only certain shades of red. that's what scares me, the shade thing. because it's quite possible that there are an infinite variety of shades of a colour, and an infinite variety of different lighting one might appear in so it's all too uncertain; even if one shade of red succeeds in making me look not weird in one type of lighting who's to say that will be true of all lighting? the uncertainty is too much for one person. there is at least certainty in black. black is always just black. you could say that my capitulation to wearing only black is a way of keeping myself sane.
i watched the space oddity performance again and found myself smiling at that part you mentioned. it is a fantastic performance. i think i might love her madly. you said there were other videos of her singing bowie songs? and yes, "dont let the f***ers get you down" is a much preferable mantra to say "shake, shake, shake it off" :p
noooooo dont say you are a figment of my imagination. there has to be someone out there in internet land who likes morrissey AND hearing about models AND who makes me aware of fabulous beings like jehnny beth!

oh my gosh, you're right about the maggie rizer/kate moss picture. i really like it though, they both look so luminous. funnily enough, it was actually a vogue cover.
i hadnt checked out the mens section of the acne website before. now im jealous, the mens section has so much better coats and jackets than the womens section. not fair! be glad you live in the states, that shirt is $300+ dollars in canadian dollars. which means that you should probably buy yourself one because you're getting a deal, living in the states. this is called logic.
sometimes i like to fantasize about having a kid and naming him narcissus aloisius or lucifer maximillian augustus or something and dressing him in capes and a pince-nez and raising him to be really weird and pretentious and flowery and such. that would be the only way i would want to have a child, but that's probably a good argument for me not having one. when i think about having kids i think about having other peoples kids and this is a fallacy, because in truth i'd probably like my own kids--if they were like me, and thus cool-like. :cool:
yes, you are right, if i have to wear only one colour for the rest of my days, im glad it's black. pink would definitely be problematic. i think navy is okay too, and red, but only certain shades of red. that's what scares me, the shade thing. because it's quite possible that there are an infinite variety of shades of a colour, and an infinite variety of different lighting one might appear in so it's all too uncertain; even if one shade of red succeeds in making me look not weird in one type of lighting who's to say that will be true of all lighting? the uncertainty is too much for one person. there is at least certainty in black. black is always just black. you could say that my capitulation to wearing only black is a way of keeping myself sane.
i watched the space oddity performance again and found myself smiling at that part you mentioned. it is a fantastic performance. i think i might love her madly. you said there were other videos of her singing bowie songs? and yes, "dont let the f***ers get you down" is a much preferable mantra to say "shake, shake, shake it off" :p
noooooo dont say you are a figment of my imagination. there has to be someone out there in internet land who likes morrissey AND hearing about models AND who makes me aware of fabulous beings like jehnny beth!

That's really very sound logic. If I bought a 200 dollar shirt here in the US, I would be saving 100 dollars compared to someone in Canada. That's a hell of a deal. It's an even better deal if I would buy say 5 shirts for 1000 dollars. I'd save 500 dollars. How can I justify not buying one? Haha.
I'm curious, you've shared quite a few of your favorite models, but do you have favorite designers? Do you like Coco Chanel? I don't know much about her, but I've seen a few pictures of her and she's always dressed pretty cool.
I think navy might be a good gateway color if you ever choose to start branching out with your color schemes. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a black and navy t shirt until I hold them side by side. You could of course go with black and white together. That usually works pretty well. Have you ever heard of a black belt in karate? Well the concept of it is that in karate, you start with a white belt and then work your way up to yellow, orange, red belt, etc. until you get to black, which is the highest color, and then you keep wearing the black belt until it fades back into white again. Why I just mentioned that I have no idea, but for some reason it just popped in my head. I don't even practice karate. But hey, why change. Black for sanity makes perfect sense to me. I hope I'm not being to forward, but what color is your hair?
Well, Jehnny Beth sang five Bowie songs. The two I posted, Suffragette City, The Man Who Sold The World and this:

It's funny how she says mommy. It's like a mix of mommy and mummy. Must be a French thing. I've heard Jean-Luc Goddard pronounce it the same way.
Well, it was nice talking to you again. Or should I say it was nice talking to me again? Hmmm...

That's really very sound logic. If I bought a 200 dollar shirt here in the US, I would be saving 100 dollars compared to someone in Canada. That's a hell of a deal. It's an even better deal if I would buy say 5 shirts for 1000 dollars. I'd save 500 dollars. How can I justify not buying one? Haha.
I'm curious, you've shared quite a few of your favorite models, but do you have favorite designers? Do you like Coco Chanel? I don't know much about her, but I've seen a few pictures of her and she's always dressed pretty cool.
I think navy might be a good gateway color if you ever choose to start branching out with your color schemes. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a black and navy t shirt until I hold them side by side. You could of course go with black and white together. That usually works pretty well. Have you ever heard of a black belt in karate? Well the concept of it is that in karate, you start with a white belt and then work your way up to yellow, orange, red belt, etc. until you get to black, which is the highest color, and then you keep wearing the black belt until it fades back into white again. Why I just mentioned that I have no idea, but for some reason it just popped in my head. I don't even practice karate. But hey, why change. Black for sanity makes perfect sense to me. I hope I'm not being to forward, but what color is your hair?
Well, Jehnny Beth sang five Bowie songs. The two I posted, Suffragette City, The Man Who Sold The World and this:

It's funny how she says mommy. It's like a mix of mommy and mummy. Must be a French thing. I've heard Jean-Luc Goddard pronounce it the same way.
Well, it was nice talking to you again. Or should I say it was nice talking to me again? Hmmm...

you cant mess with my mind like that, my sanity hangs in a very delicate balance! i am i and you are you! :p
well you would pretty much have to buy 5 shirts if you were going to buy 1, and not just because of all the money you would save but because what if something were to happen to the first shirt? total waste of $200! to avoid a waste of any money you have to have back up shirts, in the case of the first shirt getting wrecked. you really have to think of it as not buying one shirt, but buying a unit of shirts that is to be represented by one shirt. that's the only way to avoid wasted money and disappointment that comes when you invariably wear out or somehow ruin the first shirt. again, logic.
you mean do i like coco chanel as a person or the chanel brand? i dont know much about her as a person. i hear she was real petty. but oh, so elegant! and such an original. how can anyone not admire her? as for the chanel brand, of course i like it, who doesnt? but i dont feel like its very relevant to real life. it's a fashion fantasy: i only wish i had the money to afford it and the places to go to wear it.
haha no you're not being too forward, im not secretive about my hair colour! it's brown--drab, boring, disappointing brown. not like a rich brown or a golden brown or anything, either. as colourless a brown as you can get. kind of like the hair colour of the girl in the first carven picture (below), but darker (you can see why i have problems). my hair used to be a nice golden colour, i dont know what happened. the gods no longer love me, i think.
haha of course i've heard of a black belt in karate, i dont live on the other side of the moon! do you really keep wearing the black belt until it fades to white? do you have to start all over again after that? i hope you dont think that one can graduate to wearing different colours after having mastered one colour the way one graduates to different karate belts. if only it were a matter of learning to wear a colour!
ohhhh i think her life on mars is my favourite so far! i like to see her singing a song that i have such long standing affection for (being that i am the girl with the mousy hair); it's like it reproduced the feelings i had hearing david singing it for the first time. she has something special, for sure.does she seem to have a bit of a british accent over her french accent? that's how it struck me.
again when you ask about favourite designers do you mean as in people or as in fashion lines? i dont really know that much about the people behind the lines, just a few things here and there. but as for fashion lines, i would say the one i have loved the longest and feel the most affinity for is marni, designed by consuelo castiglione. i really love the sometimes moody, sometimes playful, artistry of it. she has an artists understanding of colours, and uses the most amazing prints (as seen in the last four pictures) and i love her layering of different textures (although unfortunately she often uses fur to achieve this, and i would never wear real fur). almost every single season (with the exception of a few of the most recent asian inspired ones) i have felt some sort of strange unplaceable nostalgia when i look at her designs, which frankly, i never thought was possible to feel for a piece clothing.

https://meappropriatestyle.files.wo...-marni-2002fwmain_16_282x435_rdax_281x434.jpg
http://ell.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/02/54b0e928d3dd7_-_0227200411373030-lg.jpg
http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/240x360/Shows/SS2004/Milan/R-T-W/Marni/00400f.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vX2JZHFno7o/SwURjlmo0YI/AAAAAAAADgE/xoEVap9vfZY/s1600/MARNI-2.bmp
http://images.vogue.it/imgs/sfilate/autunno-inverno-06-07/marni/collezione/base/marni_078151.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ce/18/bc/ce18bc946fb055cca9e05bb8d5c775c9.jpg
https://www.wgsn.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/marni-pre-fall-2014.jpg
http://www.marieclaire.it/var/marie...r-Edition-2012_image_ini_620x465_downonly.jpg
http://media4.popsugar-assets.com/f...2010-Milan-Fashion-Week-2010-03-01-053043.jpg
https://www.wgsn.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MARNI_SS12.jpg
https://angelicalnataliavodianova.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/2003assmarni07b.jpg
https://angelicalnataliavodianova.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/2003assmarni18b.jpg
http://www2.pictures.livingly.com/it/Marni+Fall+2002+BT_n9ncWJOWx.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wvJgtq_X2...V33IQeQYbV4/s1600/2004-10-16.+Marni+coat..jpg
(i actually have this coat, bought years ago when marni was much less expensive, but, big surprise, the colour, being much more yellowish in real life, is terrible on me. i still think it's the most beautiful coat ever--and am dismayed and outraged to see kate, who is categorically not a marni type of girl, wearing it--and am debating whether i should wear it anyway on the basis of it being a beautiful coat, or whether i should try to abstain from wearing things that make me look absolutely horrendous)

and my most recent favourite brand is the french fashion line carven:
http://www.wmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/carven-pre-fall-2015.jpg
http://wp1-content.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Carven_002_13661.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u0WAxfVk...14-2015-Womens-Clothing-Styles-24-600x899.jpg
https://d36di5nvqr47bo.cloudfront.n...rven-RTW-FW14-Paris-3113-1393497207-thumb.jpg
http://theimpression.com/wp-content/uploads/carven-fall-2015-ad-campaign-the-impression-0011.jpg
http://cdn6.doll-memories.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/carven-rtw-fw15-runway-22.jpeg
http://cdn.fashionmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Carven-Fall-2015.jpg
https://fashiondiariesofdevoe.files...-2015-ready-to-wear-paris-fashion-week-41.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BtBbpCP1c...carven-backstage-spring-summer-2015-pfw48.jpg
http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/carven-fall-2011.jpg

right, im off to look up jehnny beths version of man who sold the world. nice talking to you as well, lovely internet person who isnt me! (hope this wasnt too long! god why do you let me go on so much? its unheard of!)

you cant mess with my mind like that, my sanity hangs in a very delicate balance! i am i and you are you! :p
well you would pretty much have to buy 5 shirts if you were going to buy 1, and not just because of all the money you would save but because what if something were to happen to the first shirt? total waste of $200! to avoid a waste of any money you have to have back up shirts, in the case of the first shirt getting wrecked. you really have to think of it as not buying one shirt, but buying a unit of shirts that is to be represented by one shirt. that's the only way to avoid wasted money and disappointment that comes when you invariably wear out or somehow ruin the first shirt. again, logic.
you mean do i like coco chanel as a person or the chanel brand? i dont know much about her as a person. i hear she was real petty. but oh, so elegant! and such an original. how can anyone not admire her? as for the chanel brand, of course i like it, who doesnt? but i dont feel like its very relevant to real life. it's a fashion fantasy: i only wish i had the money to afford it and the places to go to wear it.
haha no you're not being too forward, im not secretive about my hair colour! it's brown--drab, boring, disappointing brown. not like a rich brown or a golden brown or anything, either. as colourless a brown as you can get. kind of like the hair colour of the girl in the first carven picture (below), but darker (you can see why i have problems). my hair used to be a nice golden colour, i dont know what happened. the gods no longer love me, i think.
haha of course i've heard of a black belt in karate, i dont live on the other side of the moon! do you really keep wearing the black belt until it fades to white? do you have to start all over again after that? i hope you dont think that one can graduate to wearing different colours after having mastered one colour the way one graduates to different karate belts. if only it were a matter of learning to wear a colour!
ohhhh i think her life on mars is my favourite so far! i like to see her singing a song that i have such long standing affection for (being that i am the girl with the mousy hair); it's like it reproduced the feelings i had hearing david singing it for the first time. she has something special, for sure.does she seem to have a bit of a british accent over her french accent? that's how it struck me.
again when you ask about favourite designers do you mean as in people or as in fashion lines? i dont really know that much about the people behind the lines, just a few things here and there. but as for fashion lines, i would say the one i have loved the longest and feel the most affinity for is marni, designed by consuelo castiglione. i really love the sometimes moody, sometimes playful, artistry of it. she has an artists understanding of colours, and uses the most amazing prints (as seen in the last four pictures) and i love her layering of different textures (although unfortunately she often uses fur to achieve this, and i would never wear real fur). almost every single season (with the exception of a few of the most recent asian inspired ones) i have felt some sort of strange unplaceable nostalgia when i look at her designs, which frankly, i never thought was possible to feel for a piece clothing.

https://meappropriatestyle.files.wo...-marni-2002fwmain_16_282x435_rdax_281x434.jpg
http://ell.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/02/54b0e928d3dd7_-_0227200411373030-lg.jpg
http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/240x360/Shows/SS2004/Milan/R-T-W/Marni/00400f.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vX2JZHFno7o/SwURjlmo0YI/AAAAAAAADgE/xoEVap9vfZY/s1600/MARNI-2.bmp
http://images.vogue.it/imgs/sfilate/autunno-inverno-06-07/marni/collezione/base/marni_078151.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ce/18/bc/ce18bc946fb055cca9e05bb8d5c775c9.jpg
https://www.wgsn.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/marni-pre-fall-2014.jpg
http://www.marieclaire.it/var/marie...r-Edition-2012_image_ini_620x465_downonly.jpg
http://media4.popsugar-assets.com/f...2010-Milan-Fashion-Week-2010-03-01-053043.jpg
https://www.wgsn.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MARNI_SS12.jpg
https://angelicalnataliavodianova.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/2003assmarni07b.jpg
https://angelicalnataliavodianova.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/2003assmarni18b.jpg
http://www2.pictures.livingly.com/it/Marni+Fall+2002+BT_n9ncWJOWx.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wvJgtq_X2...V33IQeQYbV4/s1600/2004-10-16.+Marni+coat..jpg
(i actually have this coat, bought years ago when marni was much less expensive, but, big surprise, the colour, being much more yellowish in real life, is terrible on me. i still think it's the most beautiful coat ever--and am dismayed and outraged to see kate, who is categorically not a marni type of girl, wearing it--and am debating whether i should wear it anyway on the basis of it being a beautiful coat, or whether i should try to abstain from wearing things that make me look absolutely horrendous)

and my most recent favourite brand is the french fashion line carven:
http://www.wmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/carven-pre-fall-2015.jpg
http://wp1-content.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Carven_002_13661.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u0WAxfVk...14-2015-Womens-Clothing-Styles-24-600x899.jpg
https://d36di5nvqr47bo.cloudfront.n...rven-RTW-FW14-Paris-3113-1393497207-thumb.jpg
http://theimpression.com/wp-content/uploads/carven-fall-2015-ad-campaign-the-impression-0011.jpg
http://cdn6.doll-memories.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/carven-rtw-fw15-runway-22.jpeg
http://cdn.fashionmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Carven-Fall-2015.jpg
https://fashiondiariesofdevoe.files...-2015-ready-to-wear-paris-fashion-week-41.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BtBbpCP1c...carven-backstage-spring-summer-2015-pfw48.jpg
http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/carven-fall-2011.jpg

right, im off to look up jehnny beths version of man who sold the world. nice talking to you as well, lovely internet person who isnt me! (hope this wasnt too long! god why do you let me go on so much? its unheard of!)

Well I certainly can't refute your logic. Why on earth would I ever buy just one shirt (or any item of clothing) to wear ever again. Of course I hope you don't think I'm going to buy a 200 dollar shirt and actually wear it. It would be far to nice to wear and would stay in the closet covered in plastic where it can't be ruined.
You really had me going there for a minute, thinking you had some ugly hair color or something and then I looked at the carven model and realized you were kidding. It's a lovely color brown. The proper color description is "preferable brown" because well, it's the most preferred color of brown hair. From what I've been able to gather, people spend lots of money to get their hair dyed just that color. Guess what, my hairs the same color brown (Hmmm...). Aren't we both lucky ducks? It's a perfect color to go with black clothing. That's why I asked. Since you wear so much black, I wondered what color hair went along with it. I think what I meant by my karate belt reference, is that perhaps wearing black is the most skillful and highest form of color wearing. Yeah, that makes sense.
I'm glad you liked Jehnny Beth's version of Life On Mars. It really showed off her vocal range. It's interesting to hear her sing something different than what she does with the Savages. Yes, she really is something and it's exiting to watch her career go along. I know you mentioned that you're not as into the kind of music the Savages play, but maybe give their first album Silence Yourself a try. When it first came out, it took me about three listens and I was hooked. It stayed in rotation for quite a long time. Yes, she does have a British accent over her French accent. It's really one of the charms of listening to her sing.
Well, I was enjoyably overwhelmed by your lists of designer picks. Lots of great clothes. Let me first say that that coat you own is really beautiful. What a shame about the unsuspecting yellow color, but there has to be a way to wear it. Both Marni and Carven are wonderful designers. There's so many great outfits. I think Marni 6, 10 and 13 and Carven 2, 5 and 6 are my favorites. Really though, I couldn't complain about any of them. (Like anyone would care if I complained) Thanks for taking the time to show me all of it. I'm surprised that I enjoy it so much, but I really do. I did check at the library for a book about fashion and film, but nothing popped up. I looked in the film section, but maybe next time I'll look in the fashion section. I ended up grabbing a book about American Avant-Garde film instead.

Well I certainly can't refute your logic. Why on earth would I ever buy just one shirt (or any item of clothing) to wear ever again. Of course I hope you don't think I'm going to buy a 200 dollar shirt and actually wear it. It would be far to nice to wear and would stay in the closet covered in plastic where it can't be ruined.
You really had me going there for a minute, thinking you had some ugly hair color or something and then I looked at the carven model and realized you were kidding. It's a lovely color brown. The proper color description is "preferable brown" because well, it's the most preferred color of brown hair. From what I've been able to gather, people spend lots of money to get their hair dyed just that color. Guess what, my hairs the same color brown (Hmmm...). Aren't we both lucky ducks? It's a perfect color to go with black clothing. That's why I asked. Since you wear so much black, I wondered what color hair went along with it. I think what I meant by my karate belt reference, is that perhaps wearing black is the most skillful and highest form of color wearing. Yeah, that makes sense.
I'm glad you liked Jehnny Beth's version of Life On Mars. It really showed off her vocal range. It's interesting to hear her sing something different than what she does with the Savages. Yes, she really is something and it's exiting to watch her career go along. I know you mentioned that you're not as into the kind of music the Savages play, but maybe give their first album Silence Yourself a try. When it first came out, it took me about three listens and I was hooked. It stayed in rotation for quite a long time. Yes, she does have a British accent over her French accent. It's really one of the charms of listening to her sing.
Well, I was enjoyably overwhelmed by your lists of designer picks. Lots of great clothes. Let me first say that that coat you own is really beautiful. What a shame about the unsuspecting yellow color, but there has to be a way to wear it. Both Marni and Carven are wonderful designers. There's so many great outfits. I think Marni 6, 10 and 13 and Carven 2, 5 and 6 are my favorites. Really though, I couldn't complain about any of them. (Like anyone would care if I complained) Thanks for taking the time to show me all of it. I'm surprised that I enjoy it so much, but I really do. I did check at the library for a book about fashion and film, but nothing popped up. I looked in the film section, but maybe next time I'll look in the fashion section. I ended up grabbing a book about American Avant-Garde film instead.

well that sounds like an interesting book, anyway. i checked the database of my library (not that that helps you :p) and found this book which looks interesting: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/fashions-double-9781472519290/ could that be something like what you're after? if so, ill sign it out, rip out all the pages and send them to you! just kidding, but maybe your library will have it? i think i might check it out! if i can ever be bothered to go to the library.
well now i cant complain about my hair colour if it turns out we have the same hair colour (although i did say that mine was darker, and therefore not as nice). i think it's actually called "intellectual brown" because people with that hair colour are usually very smart. is this going to be like where you now ask me what my eye colour is, what my height is, what my shoe size is, what my name is, etc. whereupon it is revealed little by little that we are indeed the same person. wouldnt that be like something out of some surreal novel? ah well now i understand why you brought up the black belt thing. that makes perfect sense.
alright, i will look into their first album. thank you for that recommendation. i hope it will help me. please understand, i really want to like this music. and i mean, its not that i dont like it, i have no objections to it whatsoever. it just doesnt particularly grab me. but i have faith that if it's worthy of jehnny beth, than there must be something to it than im not getting. a lot of things just dont grab me at first, and then after repeated exposure they do. i was like that with suedehead at first. i felt nothing special for it. it took me hearing it live to realize just what a great song it is, and not only that but when it suddenly struck me what a great song it was, it occured to me at that time also that i had liked it all along, and just hadnt realized it.
generally i dont like french accents on account of once having had a french roommate who was just an awful person who would stay up all night baking bread, as french people do. i mean, all day and all night all she did was bake bread. and whenever she left the house it was only to buy supplies to bake more bread. and it wasnt even very good bread either. and when i complained once about the ongoing ruckus every single night of dishes clanging and cupboards slamming (why does a person ever have to slam cupboards? why cant they just shut them gently? i will never understand that) she left me a ten page note about how i had to learn to accept change. so since then french accents have always been irksome to me. but i can get past it for jehnny, who i cant imagine could ever be offensive or annoying. she has restored the french accent in my mind. i am beginning to think she is really quite a perfect creature.
i feel like i go on enough about things enough, but i never ask you about anything. it's quite boorish of me, dont you think. but i dont know what to ask you! hmmmm... you like... stuff? you seem very into film, what's that all about? but see, now i just feel like im prying.

I think facts are the least of his problems. Accusing Morrissey of capitalising on murdered children says more about him and the way he sees things rather than it does say about Morrissey. Suffer Little Children is a perfect and poetically beautiful sentiment distilled in song. If you see it as anything else than, you are really scraping away at the bottom of your barrel.

On the other hand this T shirt is a pile of shit.

I can't know his feelings on this but just consider that part of the reason this song is still being discussed today is because it can be viewed different ways. If it were simply a nice little pop song about the horrible torture and deaths of children it might have been forgotten.

well that sounds like an interesting book, anyway. i checked the database of my library (not that that helps you :p) and found this book which looks interesting: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/fashions-double-9781472519290/ could that be something like what you're after? if so, ill sign it out, rip out all the pages and send them to you! just kidding, but maybe your library will have it? i think i might check it out! if i can ever be bothered to go to the library.
well now i cant complain about my hair colour if it turns out we have the same hair colour (although i did say that mine was darker, and therefore not as nice). i think it's actually called "intellectual brown" because people with that hair colour are usually very smart. is this going to be like where you now ask me what my eye colour is, what my height is, what my shoe size is, what my name is, etc. whereupon it is revealed little by little that we are indeed the same person. wouldnt that be like something out of some surreal novel? ah well now i understand why you brought up the black belt thing. that makes perfect sense.
alright, i will look into their first album. thank you for that recommendation. i hope it will help me. please understand, i really want to like this music. and i mean, its not that i dont like it, i have no objections to it whatsoever. it just doesnt particularly grab me. but i have faith that if it's worthy of jehnny beth, than there must be something to it than im not getting. a lot of things just dont grab me at first, and then after repeated exposure they do. i was like that with suedehead at first. i felt nothing special for it. it took me hearing it live to realize just what a great song it is, and not only that but when it suddenly struck me what a great song it was, it occured to me at that time also that i had liked it all along, and just hadnt realized it.
generally i dont like french accents on account of once having had a french roommate who was just an awful person who would stay up all night baking bread, as french people do. i mean, all day and all night all she did was bake bread. and whenever she left the house it was only to buy supplies to bake more bread. and it wasnt even very good bread either. and when i complained once about the ongoing ruckus every single night of dishes clanging and cupboards slamming (why does a person ever have to slam cupboards? why cant they just shut them gently? i will never understand that) she left me a ten page note about how i had to learn to accept change. so since then french accents have always been irksome to me. but i can get past it for jehnny, who i cant imagine could ever be offensive or annoying. she has restored the french accent in my mind. i am beginning to think she is really quite a perfect creature.
i feel like i go on enough about things enough, but i never ask you about anything. it's quite boorish of me, dont you think. but i dont know what to ask you! hmmmm... you like... stuff? you seem very into film, what's that all about? but see, now i just feel like im prying.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get into certain songs and albums. There's been times when I've bought an album and then questioned why I even bought it and then years later I end up liking it. Of course the best is when I hear something and it immediately grabs me and I just play it over and over. It's cool if you don't like Silence Yourself. I didn't think I'd like it either and ended up really liking it. It ended up being a great album to listen to when I would take a walk. Suedehead was great when I first heard it, but for a long time I was really sick of that song. Now I love it again. I was the same way with How Soon Is Now. Got sick of hearing it and then I while back I realized how great it was again.
Ah, so you're the girl with the intellectual brown mousey hair. Are your eyes brown like mine also?
What a shame about your room mate slamming cupboards. I hate that to. Haha, but it's very funny that when she wasn't baking bread, she was out buying supplies. I hope you wrote her a long letter about how she's wasting her life making lousy bread. Jehnny Beth may have restored the French accent for you, but I have a hard time believing that even Jehnny could teach that lady how to bake some decent bread.
I have to admit, I am taken aback at how forward you are in inquiring about my film habits. Do we really know each other that well? Haha. Well I do watch a lot of films. Sometimes if I'm on a roll, I can watch a film everyday. One of the great things about living in these modern times, is the access to so many different films. I really don't know where to start. Well I did mention that I was reading a book about American Avant-Garde film. One of the films talked about is Meshes Of The Afternoon by Maya Deren. Have you seen it? (It's only 10 mins.)

Thanks for the book suggestion. It looks good. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get into certain songs and albums. There's been times when I've bought an album and then questioned why I even bought it and then years later I end up liking it. Of course the best is when I hear something and it immediately grabs me and I just play it over and over. It's cool if you don't like Silence Yourself. I didn't think I'd like it either and ended up really liking it. It ended up being a great album to listen to when I would take a walk. Suedehead was great when I first heard it, but for a long time I was really sick of that song. Now I love it again. I was the same way with How Soon Is Now. Got sick of hearing it and then I while back I realized how great it was again.
Ah, so you're the girl with the intellectual brown mousey hair. Are your eyes brown like mine also?
What a shame about your room mate slamming cupboards. I hate that to. Haha, but it's very funny that when she wasn't baking bread, she was out buying supplies. I hope you wrote her a long letter about how she's wasting her life making lousy bread. Jehnny Beth may have restored the French accent for you, but I have a hard time believing that even Jehnny could teach that lady how to bake some decent bread.
I have to admit, I am taken aback at how forward you are in inquiring about my film habits. Do we really know each other that well? Haha. Well I do watch a lot of films. Sometimes if I'm on a roll, I can watch a film everyday. One of the great things about living in these modern times, is the access to so many different films. I really don't know where to start. Well I did mention that I was reading a book about American Avant-Garde film. One of the films talked about is Meshes Of The Afternoon by Maya Deren. Have you seen it? (It's only 10 mins.)

Thanks for the book suggestion. It looks good. I'll keep an eye out for it.

i WILL like silence yourself, i promise! i know i can. i like this song, i like the way she sings it, but also i just really like this video, because she is so f***ing cute when she smiles in between singing:

(ah why do i love her so much? what am i to dooooooo?)
and i've already warmed up to some of their songs from adore life. i like evil, and starting to really like f***ers.
no, my eyes are green (whew, what a relief!). a terrible green colour! not vivid or jewel-like. dark, that from far away looks black, but without the depth of black. the most colourless green, like watered down pea soup. oh it is all so awful. nothing to be done.
i most certainly did not write her a letter. i briefly thought i would if only to shame her handwriting, which was very chaotic and bad, with my handwriting, which is very good, and which i often want to send in to those handwriting experts who analyze your handwriting to find out whats wrong with you, just to make them have to ultimately concede that i must have nothing at all wrong with me. but then decided that the best way to make someone who has just written a long-winded, foolishly condescending letter feel like a jackass is to simply not respond at all. so instead i went around acting comically regal and magnanimous whilst doing passive agressive things--like burning sage and making grand sweeping gestures in the air with it whenever the smell of her bread became apparent--as is my custom.
oh now im all disconcerted having gone out on a limb to ask you a question about yourself and having been rebuked so mercilessly. ;) have you always been interested in films? is it your number one interest?
there was a while back where i was watching at least one movie a day, and keeping a list of all of the ones i watched. now i can rarely be bothered to watch any. i think netflix has ruined movies for me. i like the idea of going to the video store and renting a movie and the movie coming in the form of an object with a tactile reality, which you can hold in your hands. it's like with ebooks, the words mean nothing to me if not encased within two covers and held together with a spine. or coffee. like, i could take my own tumbler to the coffee shop and have them fill it, and i probably should since we are living on a dying planet and all, but it's just not the same without the paper cup. i like the paper cup it comes in. it makes me feel like i achieved something. for me, the container a thing comes in adds to it's objective reality. without containers everything just runs into each other. without the paper coffee cup how do i know that it isnt some other liquid that im drinking. without the book cover, how do i know where the words im reading come from, that they arent words spilled out from another book. it's like that with movies too, see.
so, i dont know anything about avant garde films! what are they all about, you must explain! can it be explained. no i have never seen that film before now. i like the way it's filmed, but i've no idea what its about. does it have a meaning? what are they trying to achieve by it? i feel terribly not in the know!

i WILL like silence yourself, i promise! i know i can. i like this song, i like the way she sings it, but also i just really like this video, because she is so f***ing cute when she smiles in between singing:

(ah why do i love her so much? what am i to dooooooo?)
and i've already warmed up to some of their songs from adore life. i like evil, and starting to really like f***ers.
no, my eyes are green (whew, what a relief!). a terrible green colour! not vivid or jewel-like. dark, that from far away looks black, but without the depth of black. the most colourless green, like watered down pea soup. oh it is all so awful. nothing to be done.
i most certainly did not write her a letter. i briefly thought i would if only to shame her handwriting, which was very chaotic and bad, with my handwriting, which is very good, and which i often want to send in to those handwriting experts who analyze your handwriting to find out whats wrong with you, just to make them have to ultimately concede that i must have nothing at all wrong with me. but then decided that the best way to make someone who has just written a long-winded, foolishly condescending letter feel like a jackass is to simply not respond at all. so instead i went around acting comically regal and magnanimous whilst doing passive agressive things--like burning sage and making grand sweeping gestures in the air with it whenever the smell of her bread became apparent--as is my custom.
oh now im all disconcerted having gone out on a limb to ask you a question about yourself and having been rebuked so mercilessly. ;) have you always been interested in films? is it your number one interest?
there was a while back where i was watching at least one movie a day, and keeping a list of all of the ones i watched. now i can rarely be bothered to watch any. i think netflix has ruined movies for me. i like the idea of going to the video store and renting a movie and the movie coming in the form of an object with a tactile reality, which you can hold in your hands. it's like with ebooks, the words mean nothing to me if not encased within two covers and held together with a spine. or coffee. like, i could take my own tumbler to the coffee shop and have them fill it, and i probably should since we are living on a dying planet and all, but it's just not the same without the paper cup. i like the paper cup it comes in. it makes me feel like i achieved something. for me, the container a thing comes in adds to it's objective reality. without containers everything just runs into each other. without the paper coffee cup how do i know that it isnt some other liquid that im drinking. without the book cover, how do i know where the words im reading come from, that they arent words spilled out from another book. it's like that with movies too, see.
so, i dont know anything about avant garde films! what are they all about, you must explain! can it be explained. no i have never seen that film before now. i like the way it's filmed, but i've no idea what its about. does it have a meaning? what are they trying to achieve by it? i feel terribly not in the know!

One of the biggest impressions I had of watching Jehnny Beth perform, is that she has so much fun playing live. She smiles a lot on stage and along with the energy of the music, it's really an uplifting experience. That was a great performance of Hit Me. I wonder what that songs about? It was different seeing them in that outdoor performance. It gave the music more space to breath. Both times I've seen them play, it was in the same small saloon, really it was called a saloon, and it was really loud and intense, in a good way. Don't you think Jehnny wears short hair well? Some people can't get away with wearing short hair and on some it's very attractive. I think it's her face, but then again she'd look good with any length of hair.
Forgive me for finding your misadventures with the French lady so amusing, but it sounds pretty funny. It might make a really twisted sit-com. Breaking Bread perhaps? Who moved out by the way, you or her?
I wonder if your eyes might be considered "sea foam green". Didn't the Little Mermaid turn into a green sea foam? I mean it's more than a coincidence isn't it? Or maybe a "olive green". I'm really having a good time coming up with color descriptions.
Well one good place to get movies from is the library. I can still get that feeling of going to a video store and holding something in my hand. I don't have Netflix, so I either go to the library or snatch them out of the air. To me, Avant-Garde films are just experimental films. They can be whatever to want them to be. For me it's about exploring. New forms, new ideas, twists on existing techniques. Questioning and presenting what film is and can be. I'm a video artist and sometimes I feel like I'm painting with video. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to do and sometimes it unfolds as I go along. I do prefer the flexibility of working with video, but my roots are in film. Of course I don't want to sound like I'm successful or anything. It's purely a labor of love.
Reading this book on Avant-Garde film is okay, but this guy goes into some scholarly analysis and my mind starts to drift a little. To me it's much more interesting to watch a film and just take away from it whatever thoughts and emotions it gives you. Maya Deren did describe Meshes Of The Afternoon as "...the interior experiences of an individual" and the way that the sub-conscious interprets simple incidents. There was a short part in the film (right around 10:13) where she walks with a knife across sand, grass, pavement and a rug, as meaning that "... you have to come a long way - from the very beginning of time - to kill yourself, like the first life emerging from the primeval waters." I never would have guessed that, but it's interesting to think about.
Here's one by probably the most well known experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage called Mothlight, where he exposed objects onto film.

One of the biggest impressions I had of watching Jehnny Beth perform, is that she has so much fun playing live. She smiles a lot on stage and along with the energy of the music, it's really an uplifting experience. That was a great performance of Hit Me. I wonder what that songs about? It was different seeing them in that outdoor performance. It gave the music more space to breath. Both times I've seen them play, it was in the same small saloon, really it was called a saloon, and it was really loud and intense, in a good way. Don't you think Jehnny wears short hair well? Some people can't get away with wearing short hair and on some it's very attractive. I think it's her face, but then again she'd look good with any length of hair.
Forgive me for finding your misadventures with the French lady so amusing, but it sounds pretty funny. It might make a really twisted sit-com. Breaking Bread perhaps? Who moved out by the way, you or her?
I wonder if your eyes might be considered "sea foam green". Didn't the Little Mermaid turn into a green sea foam? I mean it's more than a coincidence isn't it? Or maybe a "olive green". I'm really having a good time coming up with color descriptions.
Well one good place to get movies from is the library. I can still get that feeling of going to a video store and holding something in my hand. I don't have Netflix, so I either go to the library or snatch them out of the air. To me, Avant-Garde films are just experimental films. They can be whatever to want them to be. For me it's about exploring. New forms, new ideas, twists on existing techniques. Questioning and presenting what film is and can be. I'm a video artist and sometimes I feel like I'm painting with video. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to do and sometimes it unfolds as I go along. I do prefer the flexibility of working with video, but my roots are in film. Of course I don't want to sound like I'm successful or anything. It's purely a labor of love.
Reading this book on Avant-Garde film is okay, but this guy goes into some scholarly analysis and my mind starts to drift a little. To me it's much more interesting to watch a film and just take away from it whatever thoughts and emotions it gives you. Maya Deren did describe Meshes Of The Afternoon as "...the interior experiences of an individual" and the way that the sub-conscious interprets simple incidents. There was a short part in the film (right around 10:13) where she walks with a knife across sand, grass, pavement and a rug, as meaning that "... you have to come a long way - from the very beginning of time - to kill yourself, like the first life emerging from the primeval waters." I never would have guessed that, but it's interesting to think about.
Here's one by probably the most well known experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage called Mothlight, where he exposed objects onto film.

breaking bread, haha! she moved out first. that was always the plan as she was waiting for her fiance to move here, and then she was going to move out with him, so that's how it happened. man, do i feel sorry for him. how could she ever commit to him when she had already committed herself to bread?
no, not sea foam green. i wish. maybe olive green, or perhaps army green.
she does look good with short hair! generally i like long hair, but in jehnny's case i like her no fuss look. i wouldnt want anything distracting from that jewel of a face. ah, you saw them twice, now im doubly jealous. yes, it does look as if they have fun, it's refreshing to see. i hope that never changes.
here's a video where she's talking about hit me:

(i have a hard time with positive/negative tooooooooo! <3 for example, i have never understood why people think being sick--cold or flu or stomach ache or headache, that is, not scary sick-- is a bad thing) (also, god, what a great jaw line)
i once went to check out the movies at the library but there were too many homeless people milling around for my liking. there's a video store here that's still in operation that has a good selection of foreign films and documentaries so i usually go there. i havent been in a while though because the last time i went i rented My Life with Morrissey and kept it out for two days past due and now im too embarrassed to go back. :p
ah you're a video artist! i have no idea what that means, but it sounds exciting. i think anytime you are able to do anything you love you should consider yourself successful. thats right, i remember you saying you were working on a video project. i hope it's going well!
'..the interior experiences of an individual and the way that the sub-conscious interprets simple incidents'.. ah, i love that explanation, thats the kind of thing im increasingly interested in, but in too vague a way to know how to put into words. i like the idea of the richness of minutiae and placing heavy significance on 'simple incidents'. (my love of minutiae first came about when i read margaret atwoods the handmaids tale, set in a futuristic dystopian world, where the character offred, a servant, has hid a away a small piece of wood as the only reminder of the natural world from which she came. it seemed to me that in order to appreciate this piece of wood a person would have to shrink themselves, deny their experience, to become on level with that piece of wood, but once they do, that piece of wood would become a world unto itself; and it made me think about how i see everyday objects, the level on which i perceive them, and my relationship to them). when i was watching this meshes of the afternoon, it reminded me of the way anais nin's house of incest, of which i am a fan, was written--one dealing with images, the other with words. the description "... you have to come a long way - from the very beginning of time - to kill yourself, like the first life emerging from the primeval waters", sounds like it could have come directly from anais nin's book. to me, they both seem to depict a dreamlike quality at the same time as suggesting at the heavy weight of existence. do you have a favourite avant garde film?
that mothlight is sort of cool. it reminds me of walking through the forest in fall! what do you think of it?

breaking bread, haha! she moved out first. that was always the plan as she was waiting for her fiance to move here, and then she was going to move out with him, so that's how it happened. man, do i feel sorry for him. how could she ever commit to him when she had already committed herself to bread?
no, not sea foam green. i wish. maybe olive green, or perhaps army green.
she does look good with short hair! generally i like long hair, but in jehnny's case i like her no fuss look. i wouldnt want anything distracting from that jewel of a face. ah, you saw them twice, now im doubly jealous. yes, it does look as if they have fun, it's refreshing to see. i hope that never changes.
here's a video where she's talking about hit me:

(i have a hard time with positive/negative tooooooooo! <3 for example, i have never understood why people think being sick--cold or flu or stomach ache or headache, that is, not scary sick-- is a bad thing) (also, god, what a great jaw line)
i once went to check out the movies at the library but there were too many homeless people milling around for my liking. there's a video store here that's still in operation that has a good selection of foreign films and documentaries so i usually go there. i havent been in a while though because the last time i went i rented My Life with Morrissey and kept it out for two days past due and now im too embarrassed to go back. :p
ah you're a video artist! i have no idea what that means, but it sounds exciting. i think anytime you are able to do anything you love you should consider yourself successful. thats right, i remember you saying you were working on a video project. i hope it's going well!
'..the interior experiences of an individual and the way that the sub-conscious interprets simple incidents'.. ah, i love that explanation, thats the kind of thing im increasingly interested in, but in too vague a way to know how to put into words. i like the idea of the richness of minutiae and placing heavy significance on 'simple incidents'. (my love of minutiae first came about when i read margaret atwoods the handmaids tale, set in a futuristic dystopian world, where the character offred, a servant, has hid a away a small piece of wood as the only reminder of the natural world from which she came. it seemed to me that in order to appreciate this piece of wood a person would have to shrink themselves, deny their experience, to become on level with that piece of wood, but once they do, that piece of wood would become a world unto itself; and it made me think about how i see everyday objects, the level on which i perceive them, and my relationship to them). when i was watching this meshes of the afternoon, it reminded me of the way anais nin's house of incest, of which i am a fan, was written--one dealing with images, the other with words. the description "... you have to come a long way - from the very beginning of time - to kill yourself, like the first life emerging from the primeval waters", sounds like it could have come directly from anais nin's book. to me, they both seem to depict a dreamlike quality at the same time as suggesting at the heavy weight of existence. do you have a favourite avant garde film?
that mothlight is sort of cool. it reminds me of walking through the forest in fall! what do you think of it?

Jehnny's comments about positive/ negative make me think about a teaching of Chinese medicine that I really like. It teaches that you're not supposed to judge an emotion as good or bad, but to just experience it and let it pass. In the case of something like an anxiety attack, you shouldn't say something is wrong with me and take it as a negative, but to experience/ explore the emotion and get to know how it makes you feel, so you don't view it as something foreign or scary, but instead try to understand it so it doesn't cause additional stress. Is this what you mean when you say that being sick with the flu or having a headache is not a bad thing? I recently was reading about how a headache is caused from a blockage of the energy flow in the body. I've learned to get rid of some headaches by stretching out my neck and shoulders. A lot of headaches can be caused by tension in these areas.
When you said Jehnny's hair was a no fuss look, it reminded me of an interview of hers, where she said that the band make their records with the thought of the songs being played live. Maybe the short hair functions well for her on stage. She can move more easily and efficient.
I've never read any Anais Nin. Is House Of Incest wroth reading? I wouldn't be surprised if Maya Deren was influenced by it.
You must please forgive my flub, but the version of Mothlight that I posted, was some kind of truncated version. As I watched it again, something obvious struck me, it didn't end with By Brakhage. He ended most of his films that way. Here's the full version (about 2 mins. longer also):

I really like Mothlight and find it important for a number of reasons. First, it was a film made without using a camera. Instead, he placed, moth wings, leaves, etc. onto a piece of film and then exposed the film to light to get those images. That's why the images glide by and aren't confined to the usual 30 frames per second that film is usually viewed at. As far as I know, no one had ever done that before. Just the idea is exciting and mad. A film made with no camera. The film also kind of reminds me of looking through a microscope. How the tiny details are magnified. It's kind of like what you are talking about with minutiae. You can see the veins in the moth wings and leaves. Perhaps he's describing them without words? The idea of the microscope is also interesting, because it's like he's analyzing what film can be, in both creation and subject matter. There's a freedom about it. Breaking convention. Introducing new ideas. I'm thinking back to why the Dutch models appealed to me. Looking at things in different ways. I also just like watching Mothlight for the visual enjoyment of it. Getting lost in the image. What ideas are conjured up while watching.
You know, you kind of stumped me. I can't think of what my favorite Experimental film is. I'm thinking of another Brakhage film, but I can't remember the name. I'll have to think about it.

Jehnny's comments about positive/ negative make me think about a teaching of Chinese medicine that I really like. It teaches that you're not supposed to judge an emotion as good or bad, but to just experience it and let it pass. In the case of something like an anxiety attack, you shouldn't say something is wrong with me and take it as a negative, but to experience/ explore the emotion and get to know how it makes you feel, so you don't view it as something foreign or scary, but instead try to understand it so it doesn't cause additional stress. Is this what you mean when you say that being sick with the flu or having a headache is not a bad thing? I recently was reading about how a headache is caused from a blockage of the energy flow in the body. I've learned to get rid of some headaches by stretching out my neck and shoulders. A lot of headaches can be caused by tension in these areas.
When you said Jehnny's hair was a no fuss look, it reminded me of an interview of hers, where she said that the band make their records with the thought of the songs being played live. Maybe the short hair functions well for her on stage. She can move more easily and efficient.
I've never read any Anais Nin. Is House Of Incest wroth reading? I wouldn't be surprised if Maya Deren was influenced by it.
You must please forgive my flub, but the version of Mothlight that I posted, was some kind of truncated version. As I watched it again, something obvious struck me, it didn't end with By Brakhage. He ended most of his films that way. Here's the full version (about 2 mins. longer also):

I really like Mothlight and find it important for a number of reasons. First, it was a film made without using a camera. Instead, he placed, moth wings, leaves, etc. onto a piece of film and then exposed the film to light to get those images. That's why the images glide by and aren't confined to the usual 30 frames per second that film is usually viewed at. As far as I know, no one had ever done that before. Just the idea is exciting and mad. A film made with no camera. The film also kind of reminds me of looking through a microscope. How the tiny details are magnified. It's kind of like what you are talking about with minutiae. You can see the veins in the moth wings and leaves. Perhaps he's describing them without words? The idea of the microscope is also interesting, because it's like he's analyzing what film can be, in both creation and subject matter. There's a freedom about it. Breaking convention. Introducing new ideas. I'm thinking back to why the Dutch models appealed to me. Looking at things in different ways. I also just like watching Mothlight for the visual enjoyment of it. Getting lost in the image. What ideas are conjured up while watching.
You know, you kind of stumped me. I can't think of what my favorite Experimental film is. I'm thinking of another Brakhage film, but I can't remember the name. I'll have to think about it.

oh i see now what you mean by putting images on film. that's so cool. this sort of thing is interesting because you have to sort of become egoless when viewing it. like you cant watch it with the thought of "what am going to get out of it?" or with any sort of expectations of gratification from a human standpoint, you just sort of have to give yourself over to the images as they assert themselves. so much of what gratifies us are just things that confirm our expectations of what a thing should be. this instead, like the dutch models, challenges those expectations, takes us out of our solipsism. i like how you described the technique as exciting and mad, that's great.
well i dont know that many people would get much out of house of incest. i thought it was worthwhile reading because i really like anais nin and i really like to see different writing styles, and this is so different. if you have an interest in avant garde in general that i would say you might like it, otherwise eh... (sorry, that was very unenthusiastic. its just way too hot to think :p)
there are some passages from it i really like, like:
the world is too small. i get tired of playing the guitar, of knitting, and walking, and bearing children. men are small, and passions are short-lived. i get furious at stairways, furious at doors, furious at everyday life which interferes with the continuity of my ecstasy.
i get furious with everyday life which interferes with the continuity of my ecstasy toooooooo. (i remember when i first discovered that i breathed, and i was so annoyed at this constant interruption. i thought it was a tic, a habit i had gotten into, that i couldnt for the life of me get rid of. i found it so frustrating. it seems so unfair that our existance should be continually cut through with this constant act).
normally i dont like short hair when it seems like a person is going for a "look". to me it makes a person look unnatural. but jehnny's seems to be the opposite of that. it's like the absense of a "look", a getting down to what is essential.
yes, i have great affinity for that teaching, also found in buddhism, that we should just experience emotions as they arise, knowing that they will pass, always with an aim to expanding your consciousness. to just accept what you feel without resisting it, to understand that it is only a feeling.i like what hermann hesse says about loving your suffering, that it is "your aversion that hurts, nothing else". so many people are averse to their own feelings, i think it's weird.
but that's not really what i meant about being sick. i mean, for me, it really doesnt register as a bad thing. i mean, obviously being sick is a bad thing, because you're not at your best. but i dont understand why people think it feels bad. even for something like having a headache, there may be a bit of pain (although is it really pain?), but for me there are other things also: there is an immediacy of feeling, a being present in the moment (something my grandmother accuses me of not being). whenever i feel sick, i feel renewed, the way i feel when the seasons start to change. i feel like a line drawing that has been coloured in, like the world which was previously flat has become 3 dimensional. being sick supplies me with a centre, an occupation, some solidity, a feeling of being present in a solid world. and this is not some perversion that came with age, or because i feel empty or some nonsense, it's something ive always felt since childhood (not to the point where i would ever make myself sick, because im not a f***ing weirdo). it just never occurred to me that feeling sick was a bad thing. sometimes i think people just think it feels bad, because they've just been conditioned to assume that it does. or maybe my wirings just all messed up, and i truly am a weirdo :p
i didnt know that about headaches as being caused by a blockage of energy flow in the body. is energy flow in the body a real thing?

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom