HIG Negative /Dutch Headmaster 7 / Red William 7 / Setlists

It's 100x more fun when you find items for peanuts, for sure.

I don't have a standard white label 7" bigmouth TP, but I have a mayking bigmouth 7" TP. I thought, hey, I've never seen that. Why not?

Yes £1250 wasn't it for the mayking, and same story, it hadn't surfaced til then but there will be one or two more around somewhere waiting to be found.It begs the question why didn't you want to add the white label too,both ultra rare things of equal standing,and when you bought the mayking had you ever seen a white label before?

I have admittedly been afflicted with a Mayking fetish over the years. It's something about the history, the process, even the illustration of the Mayking label itself. Though they didn't necessarily carry out the actual pressing process on many of the records (most of it contracted out to Moulages et Plastiques de l'Ouest), they sorta represent the infancy and true origin of a lot of Smithdom post-master tape, which is often the closest degree of separation one can attain (second to perhaps a plate stamper) without being an insider with a master tape. To me it's like Morrissey painting a picture with a glove on, then that picture being turned around and imprinted onto my wall. No one wants photos of my wall after that. Would you consider me clinically insane yet?

I would have loved to add this white label TP to it, but when you never sell your stuff and plan on exhibiting it to the masses, it can be hard to clear the funds (in a "timely" manner at least, lol)

EDIT: I've also read in literature on multiple occasions and from multiple sources that Mayking's general production protocol was, in a wave of say 20 test presses ordered for a particular single, the first 3 that come out of the fryer are affixed with the Mayking label, which adds even more to the appeal IMO.

Last edited:
I have admittedly been afflicted with a Mayking fetish over the years. It's something about the history, the process, even the illustration of the Mayking label itself. Though they didn't necessarily carry out the actual pressing process on many of the records (most of it contracted out to Moulages et Plastiques de l'Ouest), they sorta represent the infancy and true origin of a lot of Smithdom post-master tape, which is often the closest degree of separation one can attain without being an insider with a master tape (second to perhaps a plate stamper). To me it's like Morrissey painting a picture with a glove on, then that picture being turned around and imprinted onto my wall. No one wants photos of my wall after that. Would you consider me clinically insane yet?

I would have loved to add this white label TP to it, but when you never sell your stuff and plan on exhibiting it to the masses, it can be hard to clear the funds (in a "timely" manner at least, lol)

How many maykings you got?

It's the first Bigmouth white label I've seen, I think. It's definitely an awesome piece. The William white kicks ass, too. I'm trying to scour though my email to see if I had received eBay notifications on the one I saw. Maybe it did in fact have UK delivery restrictions, in which case I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on ;)

4 or 5 maykings!!! :yum:

I'm impressed.

Back to the original listing at the start of this thread, has anyone had any joy or had bids thrown out, HIG NEG will be a £2000+ job no doubt but where do folks see the red sleeve, that is rarer than the neg and a proper item to get your hands on.Why is it then it will probably struggle to get £350 or so offered on it? Or am I totally wrong...if this was number 1 in the RC top 100 the sellers door would have been kicked off its hinges.Maybe it has sold for loads or maybe its still waiting for the right offer.

Back to the original listing at the start of this thread, has anyone had any joy or had bids thrown out, HIG NEG will be a £2000+ job no doubt but where do folks see the red sleeve, that is rarer than the neg and a proper item to get your hands on.Why is it then it will probably struggle to get £350 or so offered on it? Or am I totally wrong...if this was number 1 in the RC top 100 the sellers door would have been kicked off its hinges.Maybe it has sold for loads or maybe its still waiting for the right offer.

I'm all over it for 350 but guessing he wants a bit more (a fair bit more). I'm super excited about it don't know about anyone else but it's up there with the negative sleeve for beauty. Have u made an offer? Would go nicely with your White label test!

I'm all over it for 350 but guessing he wants a bit more (a fair bit more). I'm super excited about it don't know about anyone else but it's up there with the negative sleeve for beauty. Have u made an offer? Would go nicely with your White label test!

Exactly what I am thinking, I have offered but gone in low and waiting to barter but hasn't been any response so far,just wondered if the sellers items were still on offer.How do you see it's value? Just nothing to go on is there, which tells us it's a rare thing that is worth bundles.

Exactly what I am thinking, I have offered but gone in low and waiting to barter but hasn't been any response so far,just wondered if the sellers items were still on offer.How do you see it's value? Just nothing to go on is there, which tells us it's a rare thing that is worth bundles.

At first I thought £1,000 all in for the test & sleeve, take it or leave it, with a value of 750-800 on the test and 200-250 on the sleeve. That was before I seen yours go for less than £500 lol. He's obviously had it since the dawn of time and we all know how hard it is to let something like that go. Would you sell the sleeve for 350, I'm sure I wouldn't. It's priceless and I'm sure that's the sentiment the seller has unless he's offered something mind boggling, I'm surprised a big player hasn't come in and said 2 grand and keep the change. I would make it mine if I had the money. He needs to come out and stick a price on it tho or put it on eBay, lets all have a bid on it eh.

Yeah, kind of hijacked the thread for a while there. Sorry A.

The HIG negative being in mint condition (and I believe it, Alan is a bad ass and have dealt with him several times with 100% satisfaction) is a true rarity. I don't have one myself, but would imagine the others out there aren't necessarily mint examples. Will be interesting to see what this goes for! I'm also astonished not many people have discussed the 7" cowboy kid. RAAAARRRRE. When do you ever see those for sale? I would pay higher than RC 2014 appraisal for that one. It deserves top dollar, as honestly I've seen less of them than the William white, but that's just my experience and is by no means the reality.

As for the red sleeve, it's hard to say. As we all know the RC is so far from gospel, but it does linger in peoples minds since it is a heavily read publication with declared appraisals. Boy w/ Thorn "factory sample" isn't on there either, and I've *never* seen any but one. Same thing with Rank Blank being ranked in the teens on that. I know I'd pay way more than what it's appraised at on that list.

At first I thought £1,000 all in for the test & sleeve, take it or leave it, with a value of 750-800 on the test and 200-250 on the sleeve. That was before I seen yours go for less than £500 lol. He's obviously had it since the dawn of time and we all know how hard it is to let something like that go. Would you sell the sleeve for 350, I'm sure I wouldn't. It's priceless and I'm sure that's the sentiment the seller has unless he's offered something mind boggling, I'm surprised a big player hasn't come in and said 2 grand and keep the change. I would make it mine if I had the money. He needs to come out and stick a price on it tho or put it on eBay, lets all have a bid on it eh.

Your right there doesn't seen like any urgency to sell it, looks like flaunting more than a sale attempt.

Yeah, kind of hijacked the thread for a while there. Sorry A.

The HIG negative being in mint condition (and I believe it, Alan is a bad ass and have dealt with him several times with 100% satisfaction) is a true rarity. I don't have one myself, but would imagine the others out there aren't necessarily mint examples. Will be interesting to see what this goes for! I'm also astonished not many people have discussed the 7" cowboy kid. RAAAARRRRE. When do you ever see those for sale? I would pay higher than RC 2014 appraisal for that one. It deserves top dollar, as honestly I've seen less of them than the William white, but that's just my experience and is by no means the reality.

As for the red sleeve, it's hard to say. As we all know the RC is so far from gospel, but it does linger in peoples minds since it is a heavily read publication with declared appraisals. Boy w/ Thorn "factory sample" isn't on there either, and I've *never* seen any but one. Same thing with Rank Blank being ranked in the teens on that. I know I'd pay way more than what it's appraised at on that list.
Didn't astroman71 just sell a cowboy kid sleeve on ebay for a modest price?

Wow. Are you F'ing kidding me. Posted to UK only :( Someone made out like a bandit. Note to UK sellers doing domestic-only transactions: do you want top dollar or not?

Wow. Are you F'ing kidding me. Posted to UK only :( Someone made out like a bandit. Note to UK sellers doing domestic-only transactions: do you want top dollar or not?

Yes I have offered on cowboy too but wondering if these are just items put on to tease us LOL, Lets have a price list and see which one of us nuts has got the guts!!!!

Back
Top Bottom