'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week

'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week
by Andre Paine
September 1st 2017 at 6:17AM

"In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly." - Korda Marshall

Excerpt:
What can we expect from the album?

It’s a beautiful collection of songs. He’s on really good form. I went over to the studio in Rome, they were in Ennio Morricone’s studio [Forum Music Village] where they were recording it. The band are absolutely on fire. It’s tremendously exciting. We are just coordinating all the plans for this autumn. There are going to be some more American tour dates announced. It’s an amazing album.

Are there any particular themes for this Morrissey record?

He certainly has a view on what’s going on in the world, and that’s reflected in the songs. There’s quite a strong personal side to the record as well. In many ways it’s classic Morrissey. There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion. In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly. He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record. He’s very excited about it. He’s really looking forward to going out and playing the songs.

Morrissey has spoken of health problems in recent years…

He’s fit, he’s healthy, and he’s really enjoyed making the record.

The album is being released on the newly-created Etienne imprint, what will that be used for?

Etienne is Steven in French. We wanted to give him a vehicle where he could do other things, to give him a platform of his own. We felt that was important and he wanted to do that. We had conversations about it and we think it’s a really good approach that he’s got his own label identity, so he can do other things if he wants to.

Is he planning on releasing other acts via Etienne?

That’s not really part of the discussion. We’re just really happy that he’s happy. We’ve got a collection of labels at BMG, we had a discussion about what label he wanted to be on and he wanted to do his own label. It’s a vehicle for whatever he wants to do. It’s part of the process of giving him the creative freedom he deserves and needs.

What else does his partnership with BMG cover?

We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship...

'more American tour dates'!
Refreshing to see such an interview and it sounds promising despite him giving little away.
Regards,
FWD.

(Thanks to BMG UK for the link) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when Morrissey had his own label, it was called Attack - whatever happened with that?

He used to it try and get people to like Kristeen Young and Jobriath. Also released Let Me Kiss You sung by Nancy Sinatra on it, having goaded her into recording it by promising her a Top 5 hit with it. Not sure if any other stuff nobody else likes like James Maker or Eamon Dunphy was released on it.

Last edited:
As a collector, I have to say I really liked the Attack packaging and releases.
I hope the cassette & vinyl this time will be similarly interesting and desirable to own.
Regards,
FWD.

I hope he can maintain this relationship with BMG and of course that it's positive for him. It was starting to look like we were headed into another wilderness period - so glad that's not the case.

I hope Moz doesn't go ape because the record company said anything at all about the songs. It probably doesn't take much to sour his relationships. I'm not being negative, just realistic.

I hope Moz doesn't go ape because the record company said anything at all about the songs. It probably doesn't take much to sour his relationships. I'm not being negative, just realistic.

permanently soured.

He's been through the grinder so many times with labels from large to small hoping that one day just one of them will support an artist of such excellence as he and be supported as he should by them. Mostly publicity is what he want's from them, it seems his biggest complaint over the years. So I don't see how he can trust any of them with all the bad experience he has had with the record industry. But in the end it's his choice to be a fool and expect to get the service he deserves from fools like them, for to them it's not about art, it's about product, it's not about the human being, it's about how much money can they squeeze out of their 'client'.

Last edited:
Certainly won't be supporting your 'process'
Probably shouldn't. Seriously though. Queen is Dead? Great political tune. Margaret on the Guillotine? Yeah, it's alright. America is not the world? Getting silly now. World Peace? Laugh out loud bad.

Something something diminishing returns.

Of course, I will listen to the new one. I even hope it's good.

Probably shouldn't. Seriously though. Queen is Dead? Great political tune. Margaret on the Guillotine? Yeah, it's alright. America is not the world? Getting silly now. World Peace? Laugh out loud bad.

Something something diminishing returns.

Of course, I will listen to the new one. I even hope it's good.

'diminishing returns' and yet... you always return.

:cool:

We heard the same stuff from Harvest before the last one, and that went tits up. Hopefully both the record and the relationship are a bit better this time.

so refreshing to hear Korda speaking so highly of Moz at a time when most people just love to keep putting him down, he is a fighter Our Moz you know, I cant wait to hear the new work and I for one see a big year ahead for Moz and the gang, bring it on I have my diary open as we speak, now what books can I take.. best regards, Manc Lad

We heard the same stuff from Harvest before the last one, and that went tits up. Hopefully both the record and the relationship are a bit better this time.

would have been great if the Harvest partnership worked out, maybe even a collaboration between Death Grips and M would have brilliant. Oh well.... one can dream.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom