Here we go again another fake

...although sadly not not Morrissey. The other's look like they could be genuine though. hmm. anyone else?

Sadly these are all unoriginal signatures. Next time, try to make it a point to ask around here on Solo first before buying Smiths autos...we do have some collectors with expertise on autos.

Best regards
T

I have been offered this one and been told this was from 1984. Fake or real? Thanks in advance! smiths_first.jpg

Last edited:
If the signatures are in ballpoint and the price is right, I'd say go for it.

Signed Strangeways album...

So, we've had this in our house for quite some time now, but the backstory's totally disappeared. My dad must have got it at some point, but he died a few years ago so there's no way of asking. I've always assumed it was legit, but I've also heard that Morrissey won't ever sign Smiths stuff. The signature's in brown crayon. Any thoughts?

Snapshot_20111228.JPG

Re: Signed Strangeways album...

So, we've had this in our house for quite some time now, but the backstory's totally disappeared. My dad must have got it at some point, but he died a few years ago so there's no way of asking. I've always assumed it was legit, but I've also heard that Morrissey won't ever sign Smiths stuff. The signature's in brown crayon. Any thoughts?

View attachment 12622

It's genuine.

It's probably a bit of a long shot, but when would you reckon it was signed? Obviously it's incredibly different to his current signature and more like his typical handwriting style. When did the shift occur?

It's probably a bit of a long shot, but when would you reckon it was signed? Obviously it's incredibly different to his current signature and more like his typical handwriting style. When did the shift occur?

Hard to tell for certain, but that signature looks like a mid to late 80's type.
As the record was only released in 1987, I would say it was signed in the late 80s.
The signature has been evolving almost constantly since the early 80s, the changes started to become more pronounced in or around 1994 (around the time when Vauxhall and I was released).

Last edited:

View attachment 12622
Tis a lovely thing.

I just wish I knew the backstory. Surely in the late 80's Morrissey would have been more reluctant than ever to sign a copy of Strangeways Here We Come. I mean, writing in crayon is a typically Morrissey thing, as is writing on the forehead of the cover star, but unless Morrissey carries around a crayon how else would it have been signed? Agh, this'll bug me 'til I go to the grave.

I just wish I knew the backstory. Surely in the late 80's Morrissey would have been more reluctant than ever to sign a copy of Strangeways Here We Come. I mean, writing in crayon is a typically Morrissey thing, as is writing on the forehead of the cover star, but unless Morrissey carries around a crayon how else would it have been signed? Agh, this'll bug me 'til I go to the grave.

Well, late 80's can well mean 1987.
It is possible that he was still with The Smiths (and I know they had split up before the record was even released) when he signed that sleeve, perhaps he signed it at the time of release for promotional purposes. Who knows?
I seem to remember seeing a very similar one not too long ago with a story along the lines of someone winning the record in a competition.

Either way, enjoy it!
(and if you don't want to keep it, I happen to know someone who might... ;))

Last edited:
Very good price, congratulations!

Tags
#strangewaysherewecome autograph newfavethread signature signed
Back
Top Bottom