Henry Rollins makes me sick

He has no style and though he is successful I don't think he has as strong as a cult following like Morrissey has (in means of dedication of course). Rollins has commercial success but not much else. Nobody hails Rollins' influence like they do with Morrissey.

Subjective opinion.

I <3 Henry Rollins but I admit that he is a complete douchebag. I'm willing to be he knows he's a douchebag too, but just doesn't care. That does not taint his awesomeness for me.

Rollins tours constantly, and in some places like Russia, Mexico, etc. it is sometimes hard to remain vegan or vegetarian, with the lack of good edible food, water and vegetables contaminated with illness-causing bacteria, etc. Both Rollins and Marc Almond of Soft Cell spoke about how hard it was to eat while in Russia. I think Marc mentioned also being a vegetarian and it being hard to keep up with. One of Marc Almond's friends supposedly got sick and died as a result of accompanying him on the tour of Russia, and a vegan college friend got sick and ended up "in hospital" in Mexico. Almond mentioned that there were pretty much NO fresh fruits or vegetables in Russia, and sometimes he had to eat whatever was served to him by the club, as it was a king's meal to the locals.
Is Russia your new idee fixee?If so,then i recommend do more research about the topic..:)

This board has gotten so mean (and not in a good way). :(

it is sometimes hard to remain vegan or vegetarian, with the lack of good edible food, water and vegetables contaminated with illness-causing bacteria, etc. Both Rollins and Marc Almond of Soft Cell spoke about how hard it was to eat while in Russia. I think Marc mentioned also being a vegetarian and it being hard to keep up with. One of Marc Almond's friends supposedly got sick and died as a result of accompanying him on the tour of Russia, and a vegan college friend got sick and ended up "in hospital" in Mexico. Almond mentioned that there were pretty much NO fresh fruits or vegetables in Russia, and sometimes he had to eat whatever was served to him by the club, as it was a king's meal to the locals.

This is correct. I remember when Marc Almond toured Russia, specifically Siberia. He did state that it was very difficult to eat there. Having just read Ian Frazier's fantastic travelogue about trekking across Siberia, it seems that the food choices there are very limited, and maintaining a healthy vegetarian/vegan diet is next to impossible.

Right, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying what Marc Almond said in his autobiography of his trip to Russia in the 1990s. Believe he said he had to stop being a vegetarian to survive. Don't blame me.

I remember Rollins said he got horribly ill in Russia because everyone else but him brought their own bottled water to drink. IIRC, I think he said he had a large meal that appeared to have been provided by the Russian mafia. I think he said it was good, can't remember. This may have been in Get in the Van.

Point being, he's not a hypocrite for saying that he'd rather eat meat than starve in foreign countries that have no edible vegetarian option whatsoever.

This is correct. I remember when Marc Almond toured Russia, specifically Siberia. He did state that it was very difficult to eat there. Having just read Ian Frazier's fantastic travelogue about trekking across Siberia, it seems that the food choices there are very limited, and maintaining a healthy vegetarian/vegan diet is next to impossible.

But what are the local people eating/drinking? Are they immune to whatever the contamination in their area is caused by?

It surely isn't like this in bigger cities like Moscow or St. Petersburg though. I've been told.

But what are the local people eating/drinking? Are they immune to whatever the contamination in their area is caused by?

It surely isn't like this in bigger cities like Moscow or St. Petersburg though. I've been told.

It seems that visitors to Siberia report a definite lack of fresh produce. I'm sure the locals have acclimated to their harsh environment, and have their ways of putting together an interesting meal; still, the closer you get to the Arctic Circle, the harder it is to put together a nice tomato and avocado salad.

As for Moscow or St. Petersburg - if you have money you can get anything you want, anywhere you want. Of course you can get fresh produce in a major city, but that does not hold true for every region in the largest country in the world that is host to vast stretches of tundra and has a primarily subarctic climate.

Still, the gist of what I was reading was that, uh, JC is jerk because he made an untrue statement about fresh food in Russia in defense of Henry Rollins because Henry was a bad vegetarian, but only because he tours in far-off places where you can't get a decent vegetarian meal. JC was, in fact, correct when he pointed out that vegetarians who tour Russia (particularly Siberia) have a hard time sticking to a strict vegetarian/vegan diet.

This means that Henry Rollins is sometimes a jerk (but he can be very funny and a pretty astute critic as well). Marc Almond is a sweet soul who is seldom a jerk (but he can be very, very naughty). Morrissey is a darling man who gets into a fair amount of trouble and is often thought of as a jerk, but he's used to it.

:squiffy:

Subjective opinion.

I <3 Henry Rollins but I admit that he is a complete douchebag. I'm willing to be he knows he's a douchebag too, but just doesn't care. That does not taint his awesomeness for me.

That's fine with me. It's honourable that you like someone no matter what.

probably... Like Mexico or other countries. Marc said most things were pickled, so they would last. Items arrived in the stores and ran out immediately.

GetInTheVan.jpg

I would definitely get in the van with Henry Rollins. :yum:

i mentioned a show in whichhenry appears (concept of the show two artists who dont know each other are having a night out accompied by a camerateam) here
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1021133&postcount=27
i finally found a little excerpt of the show but not the whole broadcast(60 minutes)

where he gets a little ..hmm loud:straightface:
has anybody read the mentioned book get in the van?
shirin neshat(`s) work is very interesting-check her out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
henryrollinswin irony takes strength tv party!!!
Back
Top Bottom