Helsinki, Finland - Flow Festival (Aug. 13, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / You Have Killed Me / Ganglord / Speedway / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Kiss Me A Lot / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Irish Blood, English Heart

setlist provided by Sarcasmos.

• Flow Festival / Flickr photos (3 total)

38962_helsinki2.jpg

• Photo posted by an anonymous person:

38961_helsinki.jpg
  • Morrissey on poliittisempi kuin koskaan, eikä hänen suosionsa vaikuta laantuvan by Otto Talvio (2 photos by Juha Metso) - Helsingin Sanomat (Finnish). Link posted by an anonymous person.
  • Way Out West festival – Morrissey rocks the meat-free world by Hannah Ellis-Petersen (1 photo by Annika Berglund) - The Guardian. Link posted by Sarcasmos.

Last edited:
It was an intense, spirited show. We don't get to see Morrissey in Finland too often and it was pure ecstasy to hear him in top form, singing his heart out, even though the set was way too short (yes, on this festival each act had no more than 1 hour to play, which is just silly!) and part of the crowd clearly came only to see "the legend" and showed no signs of life. The tent was packed and the front rows made some proper noise, but where I was standing it seemed that me and my friends were the only ones going crazy and singing along (even during "Every Day is Like Sunday" and "Irish Blood, English Heart", which Morrissey delivered with extra gusto).

Even though it is true that the Finns tend to be rather quiet and reserved even at the best of gigs, usually we at least have the loud drunken mob wreaking havoc somewhere. But there is something oddly cold about this Flow Festival: it's super-expensive, all very hip and cool and clean, full of fashionable thirtysomethings nodding their heads to mellow electro-pop (I heard that something called M83 drew a larger audience than Morrissey!). So perhaps it wasn't the perfect arena for someone as unfashionably passionate as Morrissey.

That being said, the show itself was great. I think the combination of the current band's powerful sound and Morrissey's increasingly crooner-like singing and presence really works. I must say I liked the set-list, even though many personal favourites were missing, of course. "Ganglord" is a welcome addition to the set and carries a powerful message here and now (the images of police brutality really hit home, since even the usually trustworthy Finnish police has recently used unnecessary violence against demonstrators and immigrants). Other highlights included "Alma Matters", "The Bullfighter Dies", "Irish Blood, English Heart"... Morrissey came out very earnest and devout and channeled heaven-knows-what into a few truly otherworldly notes. There was not much audience-contact nor many speeches, save a short rant against "the political class" and one "Remember that no matter what happens, I love you", which was really all we needed to hear.

Moz introduced "Meat is Murder" by saying "I know most of you know, but some of you don't, so that's why..." -- and judging on the amount of shocked and disgusted faces after that number, this kind of in-your-face thing is necessary and the mission was accomplished. Having seen the film too many times, I tried to focus on watching Morrissey, whose voice and eyes spoke of genuine, deep sorrow and anger when delivering those bitter lines, even after all these years of having to say the same thing over and over again. (By the way, Flow Festival had lots of all-vegan food stands this year -- I don't know if Morrissey had anything to do with that, but a positive development anyway... maybe next year they'll get rid of the meat-serving stands altogether.)

It was an intense, spirited show. We don't get to see Morrissey in Finland too often and it was pure ecstasy to hear him in top form, singing his heart out, even though the set was way too short (yes, on this festival each act had no more than 1 hour to play, which is just silly!) and part of the crowd clearly came only to see "the legend" and showed no signs of life. The tent was packed and the front rows made some proper noise, but where I was standing it seemed that me and my friends were the only ones going crazy and singing along (even during "Every Day is Like Sunday" and "Irish Blood, English Heart", which Morrissey delivered with extra gusto).

Even though it is true that the Finns tend to be rather quiet and reserved even at the best of gigs, usually we at least have the loud drunken mob wreaking havoc somewhere. But there is something oddly cold about this Flow Festival: it's super-expensive, all very hip and cool and clean, full of fashionable thirtysomethings nodding their heads to mellow electro-pop (I heard that something called M83 drew a larger audience than Morrissey!). So perhaps it wasn't the perfect arena for someone as unfashionably passionate as Morrissey.

That being said, the show itself was great. I think the combination of the current band's powerful sound and Morrissey's increasingly crooner-like singing and presence really works. I must say I liked the set-list, even though many personal favourites were missing, of course. "Ganglord" is a welcome addition to the set and carries a powerful message here and now (the images of police brutality really hit home, since even the usually trustworthy Finnish police has recently used unnecessary violence against demonstrators and immigrants). Other highlights included "Alma Matters", "The Bullfighter Dies", "Irish Blood, English Heart"... Morrissey came out very earnest and devout and channeled heaven-knows-what into a few truly otherworldly notes. There was not much audience-contact nor many speeches, save a short rant against "the political class" and one "Remember that no matter what happens, I love you", which was really all we needed to hear.

Moz introduced "Meat is Murder" by saying "I know most of you know, but some of you don't, so that's why..." -- and judging on the amount of shocked and disgusted faces after that number, this kind of in-your-face thing is necessary and the mission was accomplished. Having seen the film too many times, I tried to focus on watching Morrissey, whose voice and eyes spoke of genuine, deep sorrow and anger when delivering those bitter lines, even after all these years of having to say the same thing over and over again. (By the way, Flow Festival had lots of all-vegan food stands this year -- I don't know if Morrissey had anything to do with that, but a positive development anyway... maybe next year they'll get rid of the meat-serving stands altogether.)

Really enjoyed this fair-minded review. Thank you !

Enjoyed every Line. Pls write more.

Thanks very much for the wonderful review. It sounds like you had a fantastic time! :)

Thanks very much for the wonderful review. It sounds like you had a fantastic time! :)

Still burying your bot head in the sand and ignoring the other thread?

Let me guess, you're adopting the mighty "I'm not going to dignify anonymous with an answer", which translates as "f***, I can't"

Lengthy essay-kind review of Helsingin Sanomat newspaper (in Finnish):

http://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/a1471139171537

This "review", published in the largest newspaper in the country, is pretty much the same old song of "Morrissey flirting with racism". The argument is based on Morrissey's admiration of Nigel Farage, his dedication of "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" to "our friends in Paris and Nizza" without mentioning Istanbul or Aleppo (really!), and the lyrics of "Irish Blood, English Heart". The criticism of Moz's Farage sympathies is of course completely justified (I can't understand what he could possibly see in the silly twat), but otherwise the article is quite far-fetched and has very little to do with the actual gig.

What a shit set list. I swear these songs have been performed 2-3yrs in a row and if not it has felt like it. Is he aware of his vast song collection or is he going to sing these tired songs till he keels over?

Agree. most of these songs have been in the set on and off from at least 2011 tour , some longer . Why he chooses to ignore his vast catalogue of songs and just play the same set every tour is bordering on madness .

Agree. most of these songs have been in the set on and off from at least 2011 tour , some longer . Why he chooses to ignore his vast catalogue of songs and just play the same set every tour is bordering on madness .

set from 2007....now this is a Morrissey set, oh I wish he still played shows like this

The Queen Is Dead / The Last Of The Famous International Playboys / Ganglord / The National Front Disco / Let Me Kiss You / All You Need Is Me / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Irish Blood, English Heart / Disappointed / I've Changed My Plea To Guilty / Everyday Is Like Sunday / In The Future When All's Well / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Girlfriend In A Coma / First Of The Gang To Die / I Just Want To See The Boy Happy / You Have Killed Me / That's How People Grow Up / Life Is A Pigsty / How Soon Is Now? // Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

I get a dislike for congratulating someone on their positive Morrissey concert experience? That's what it's come to on this site. Hilarious :crazy: It's pretty obvious who it's from. My little anonymous obsessed fan of mine :)

Last edited:
Still burying your bot head in the sand and ignoring the other thread?

Let me guess, you're adopting the mighty "I'm not going to dignify anonymous with an answer", which translates as "f***, I can't"
You and your like aren't worthy of my time. High and mighty isn't a required stance with the likes of you, whoever the f*** you are anonymous. It's like having a conversation with a cockroach. Very little reward :)

Plus it would also require me caring about what a snivelling little shit like you thinks.

Last edited:

Thank you!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom