Help on Illegal Activities

Musley

wild and free
Can anyone please help me with this. I have a neighbour who runs a shop from his property selling contraband cigarettes. I reported him to the Council and the Police. The Police wrote to me and said they do not investigate the illegal selling of cigarettes and that Customs and Revenue do that. Customs and Revenue say they won't investigate as it is not a big enough operation and the Council, as his tenant, say they cannot do anything about it with the Police investigating first. I had a meeting with the Council today and they more or less said I would have to put up with it. This had been going on for four years. What else can I do? Help anyone!

wow, I really don't know...I'm amazed that noone seems to want to do anything about it. Its not just him...there will be people higher up than him, supplying him...surely it would be useful to be able to stop them :confused:

Send an email to the Daily Mail or another such organ, any paper that has run a story about dole cheats, graft, incompetence, etc. They eat stories like this for breakfast.

Hmmm...very difficult situation, but at least you can use word of mouth operation or contact media (tabloids and BBC watchdog, Radio 4 You and Yours and ITV Tonight with Trevor MacDonald).

Can anyone please help me with this. I have a neighbour who runs a shop from his property selling contraband cigarettes. I reported him to the Council and the Police. The Police wrote to me and said they do not investigate the illegal selling of cigarettes and that Customs and Revenue do that. Customs and Revenue say they won't investigate as it is not a big enough operation and the Council, as his tenant, say they cannot do anything about it with the Police investigating first. I had a meeting with the Council today and they more or less said I would have to put up with it. This had been going on for four years. What else can I do? Help anyone!

mind your own business?

Well it becomes my business when his "punters" are abusive towards me!

You didn't mention that at first though, you just said you were concerned it was illegal. I didn't really understand why you cared, that sort of stuff goes in in virtually every newsagent in london.

You didn't mention that at first though, you just said you were concerned it was illegal. I didn't really understand why you cared, that sort of stuff goes in in virtually every newsagent in london.

I care because my neighbour and myself are both women living alone and are persecuted by this man and his activities and all the council say is "we haven't got proof". I offered to give them proof by filming it on my mobile phone but they said they can't use that as evidence. I filled in diary sheets detailing the activities for five month, but they still said that didn't prove he was selling them. How would you like to live next door to that on your own.

I care because my neighbour and myself are both women living alone and are persecuted by this man and his activities and all the council say is "we haven't got proof". I offered to give them proof by filming it on my mobile phone but they said they can't use that as evidence. I filled in diary sheets detailing the activities for five month, but they still said that didn't prove he was selling them. How would you like to live next door to that on your own.

If he's threatening you, go to the police. It's not really about cigarettes then, is it?
But he's probably just annoyed you're filming him on your phone, maybe.

I wonder how they can tell how big of an operation it is without investigating? As someone else said, this goes higher, as he has to buy his cigarettes somewhere. That means that it is a type of organized crime. Someone either is selling the cigarettes before the tax stamps are applied, or someone is robbing and stealing the cigarettes to supply him.

How big is his operation? You know, if you knew some other cigarette sellers you might be able to start a gang war and get him taken out for good. Just tell them that he is expanding his operation. (that's a joke)

I'd move if it was ruining my ability to enjoy where I lived. It doesn't seem like anyone cares and you are outnumbered. If you choose to continue, the press is the way to go, as the readers love to feel a sense of mock outrage against these sorts of tax cheats. But once you do that you've made this person an enemy, and it might not be worth it.

I wonder how they can tell how big of an operation it is without investigating? As someone else said, this goes higher, as he has to buy his cigarettes somewhere. That means that it is a type of organized crime. Someone either is selling the cigarettes before the tax stamps are applied, or someone is robbing and stealing the cigarettes to supply him.

How big is his operation? You know, if you knew some other cigarette sellers you might be able to start a gang war and get him taken out for good. Just tell them that he is expanding his operation. (that's a joke)

I'd move if it was ruining my ability to enjoy where I lived. It doesn't seem like anyone cares and you are outnumbered. If you choose to continue, the press is the way to go, as the readers love to feel a sense of mock outrage against these sorts of tax cheats. But once you do that you've made this person an enemy, and it might not be worth it.

Yes I know, as I said earlier, I live alone and already feel threatened in my own home. If I make it public then everyone on the estate, who get their cigarettes from him, would be able to target me. I am in a no win situation. No-one wants to know. My other neighbour can't stand it any longer and is moving out to rent privately, but I am not in a position to do that so have to fight on alone or just give in.

So this actually has nothing to do with cigarettes? :p

Get some mace in a can and prepare to kick ass.

So this actually has nothing to do with cigarettes? :p

Get some mace in a can and prepare to kick ass.

Of course its to do with the cigarettes. If he didn't sell them none of these people would be calling to his flat and disturbing us.

Yes I know, as I said earlier, I live alone and already feel threatened in my own home. If I make it public then everyone on the estate, who get their cigarettes from him, would be able to target me. I am in a no win situation. No-one wants to know. My other neighbour can't stand it any longer and is moving out to rent privately, but I am not in a position to do that so have to fight on alone or just give in.

Risking your safety over cigarettes isn't worth it. Let him get on with his petty crimes. It is annoying people won't help, but it will be more annoying if you get stabbed or something over it.

Tell him you want 20 pounds a week to look the other way and he better keep it quieter in the hallways from now on. Donate the money to charity. ;)

Or you could play Morrissey at full volume until you've scared away all his customers. It's probably safe to assume they're not fans.

Risking your safety over cigarettes isn't worth it. Let him get on with his petty crimes. It is annoying people won't help, but it will be more annoying if you get stabbed or something over it.

You are right, I think it's time for me to concede and just ignore them all.

Tell him you want 20 pounds a week to look the other way and he better keep it quieter in the hallways from now on. Donate the money to charity. ;)

Or you could play Morrissey at full volume until you've scared away all his customers. It's probably safe to assume they're not fans.

Thats brilliant, never thought of that, only might make it more like £50!!

Of course its to do with the cigarettes. If he didn't sell them none of these people would be calling to his flat and disturbing us.

I didn't know cheap cigarettes attracted such bad characters. Consider yourself lucky he isn't a crack dealer then? Funny story, I live near a college. One night I was playing cards with a few friends and someone got shot outside on the front lawn, probably over illegal drugs. Scared me shitless for weeks.
idn_smilie.gif

I guess you're gonna have to do what you think is right.

Tags
the romance of crime
Back
Top Bottom