Help for my friend please

hoopy1888

masterchef
Hi folks, I have a friend who is studying at the same Uni as me, (doing a different course) and she is doing a study on Fandom. She is a die hard Moz fan and i said that I would try and help her out. Now I know that all you nice people out there are friendly and helpful too, so here goes....
All she needs is for people to answer a few questions, which I have attached below. Any help would be much appreciated as this is for a kinda important project.... if you prefer to PM or e-mail me the answers then that is great too.
Thanks for all your help... here are the questions...

1. How long have you been a Morrissey fan?
2. When did you first hear him?
3. What attracted you to him?
4. How many gigs have you been to?
5. Do you have any gig rituals?
6. What difference do you feel he's made in your life?
7. Why do you think he evokes such strong feelings in his fans?
8. What is a Morrissey gig like from your perspective?
9 What lengths would you go to for Morrissey, whether it be to see a gig or to meet him, etc?

Hi folks, I have a friend who is studying at the same Uni as me, (doing a different course) and she is doing a study on Fandom. She is a die hard Moz fan and i said that I would try and help her out. Now I know that all you nice people out there are friendly and helpful too, so here goes....
All she needs is for people to answer a few questions, which I have attached below. Any help would be much appreciated as this is for a kinda important project.... if you prefer to PM or e-mail me the answers then that is great too.

9 What lengths would you go to for Morrissey, whether it be to see a gig or to meet him, etc?

1. Since 1984
2. John Peel Show
3. Marrs's music, Moz lyrics
4. Smiths - 1, Moz, god knows...
5. Booze
6. Not enough space
7. Truth
8. Jumpy
9. Any

Peter

1. How long have you been a Morrissey fan? 24 years
2. When did you first hear him? 1984
3. What attracted you to him? He spoke/sang to me about my life
4. How many gigs have you been to? about 40
5. Do you have any gig rituals? make sure I've had a piss
6. What difference do you feel he's made in your life? He's made it worthwhile
7. Why do you think he evokes such strong feelings in his fans? because he sings from the heart about things that matter & makes me laugh, not sure I know or care what feelings he evokes in others?
8. What is a Morrissey gig like from your perspective? buzzing better than drugs (anadin in coca-cola is all I've tried)
9 What lengths would you go to for Morrissey, whether it be to see a gig or to meet him, etc? whatever it costs & by any means necessary

love

Grim

Last edited:
I wanna add a new 8. answer.
It's like being a Man City fan at the swamp & seeing Vassell & Benjani score those 2 crackin goals on 10/02/2008, Moz is a top striker & when you leave the stadium/concert hall you feel elated like you've won the most important victory & you can blether away with your mates & not just mates it's fellow fans for the next few days about it, & during the gig you can stand & dance & sing & chant with a few drinks inside you just like the old days at the football. I was a season ticket wearer at the roundhouse tournament & I remermber the abandoned match I mean gig & yeah there was a bit of angry banter at the 'officials' that came out & announced the abandonment but it was still a buzzing night because of what we the supporters made of it before, during & after the gig!

love

Grim

21 years (or 19 when i properly started buying records)

in a newsagent in Isle of Man , the guy behind the counter wouldnt serve me untill shoplifters of the world untie finished

the words

30 odds (im at work , ill confirm later) , 3 cancellations as well

go moody and stress that he cancels

im poor but happy , have made some good friends

Because hes a one off , an icon - never to be repeted

a socal comming together , not just the show but the people and the event

my GF views them as one step further to the poor house

... i've done a lot put it that way

the answers are above or on a stamped addressed envelope

Since 1986.

Curiously, I had read the lyrics months before I actually got to hear the music. It was either during high school speech and debate practice or at some random moment listening to the cool local college radio station.

His literate humour. I instantly liked Morrissey just from reading the lyrics sheet to Bigmouth Strikes Again.

131 not including cancellations. Truly.

Like wot Grim said -- use the toilet before the show. It's serious business queueing up for a general admission Moz show and standing at the rail the whole time so as not to lose one's place. I drink a lot of water during the day to be well hydrated. At around 1600 I have a meal, then stop drinking. An hour before doors, I use the toilet. If I cannot get a drink while at the railing, then I chew gum to keep my mouth moist. I always carry a pack of sugarfree gum for this purpose. I also share with others around so that they may moisten their mouths and forestall bad breath. I also carry several pairs of earplugs to protect my hearing. I offer up spares to those around as well.

He validated being awkward, shy, unloveable, alien, intelligent, and painfully aware. Actually, he made illness quite sexy and alluring. He's been such a terribly central part of my life that I really can't imagine how I would've turned out had I not had him in my life. I dunno, maybe I might've turned out less twisted and/or dead.

As Grim said, Moz sings from the heart...often a painful truth. One either embraces that truth because it resonates so strongly or finds it totally unbearable.

This question cannot be answered in the space available! :p
The quick answer is that a Morrissey gig is like a combination of high holy mass (lately it's turned into more of an intimate, hands-on evangelical tent revival) and punk rock gig (only Moz gigs are typically more violent and passionate).

I'll just say that I've literally travelled around the world to see Moz in concert more than once. And I'm not some rich heiress. I'm just a very thrifty (middleclass professional when sporadically wage-earning) and well-connected person with atypical priorities on how I spend money. It helps that I don't have children to support, and for several years I did not own a car.

Last edited:
mel my answers were crap compaired to yours

yes maybe a bit but if you look at the trend it started with US mostly 1 word answers then gradually progressed, so MT has now taken it to the next level, it'll be hard to follow but c'mon fellow Moz fans spill your beans in aid of a good cause!

Well done to us brave enough to bare our thoughts & feelings in public & privately. It doesn't hurt so let's see some more, please. It's an interesting thread.

love

Grim

I was first attracted to the Smiths songs I heard on the John Peel BBC Radio show in 1983.

For me, the sound was very distinctive. I won’t say unique, as more informed fans would surely come along and cite some bands/songwriters pre-Smiths to repudiate that. Anyway, that initial attraction was compounded when I then saw the band on two TV shows, The Tube and Top of the Pops (Nov 83, according to Goddard’s book).

That image and style on TV just confirmed to me that this band were ‘something else’.

Sorry – just answered this question with the above comment.

I think I’ve answered this one too, but to add to it: the lyrics in those early Smiths songs (and since, of course) were of a very different style to what we (friends, peers, etc) had had put before us at that time.

Moz also had something interesting and relevant to say (and still does) in interviews, press statements, etc, as well as in his lyrics. It said to me that he could ‘back up’ and defend his lyrics and points of view with more than just rhetoric, which was what some of my previous punk/new wave heroes seemed to be uttering just a few years before (although I probably didn’t think it was just rhetoric at the time – but hindsight’s a wonderful thing; and I would probably exclude The Clash from that criticism).

The image also did a lot for me. If my memory serves me correct (a lot of drink + drugs have passed under the bridge since then), quiffs et al were probably a big-ish thing anyway in the early 80s in the UK before The Smiths came along; but Morrissey + Marr coming along was the ‘icing on the cake’.

The ‘controversy’ was appealing, certainly, but anyone with half-a-brain or more needs to be able to back up why they like him.

Smiths – only 4 I think

Moz – maybe 20? (a feeble effort I know; personal circumstances + all that…)

Whenever possible (+ it nearly always is), meet a couple of hours or so before the gig in a pub with friends/Moz-ites to get in the mood, etc. Don’t normally bother with the support act, but try to get as near the front as possible shortly before Moz is due on – or during 1st song when I’ve been ‘delayed’ in the bar.

Not yet taken to crowd-surfing or trying to reach out to Moz in the gig, but was tempted during last month’s Doncaster gig.

Friends and colleagues say I’m obsessed but they don’t know the extent some on this website go to – my fandom is very mild in comparison.

I enjoy listening to his music, obviously. I mostly agree with his views on the majority of things I’ve read about what he has said, or when I’ve seen him interviewed. He ‘makes a difference’ in the/my world, without following the conventional party political route (although I am a bit party political). He is still relevant, interesting and ruffles feathers more often than not.

In my life, it sometimes makes things awkward, difficult and testing. As the quote on the back of the Simpson book says, if you say that you like Morrissey, you often have to explain why. To me, though, it’s worth it.

There is no-one else like him – thankfully. He touches hearts and minds like few others – at least, for those who ‘get him’. Perhaps, too, there is that need to defend one’s position (in relation to the Simpson reference above), which could be substituted for protection of him in the face of criticism (although I think I’m out of my depth with the psycho-babble).

Hot, sweaty, and a bit rough. Exciting, euphoric, entertaining. It brings about a feeling of camaraderie: like-minded souls all around, paying homage to the man we think so much of.

How long is a piece of string? He tests one’s character, he makes one think about issues that we may not otherwise have thought of, and makes you want to go the ‘extra mile’ to see him, certainly.

The possibility of meeting him would be very daunting, I think. It could either be the gold at the end of the rainbow, or possibly puncture a few bubbles.

There’s no doubt that he is placed on a (very high) pedestal by many fans, and I would be content to hear new music from him and read and see interviews with him for, oh, the next 20 years or so (ok then, 10 at least) before retirement.

Aside from gigs, etc, I’ll defend him to the end (whatever that means). You either get Moz or you don’t – there seems little manoeuvre for a middle-way. Gigs, downloads, interviews are the icing on the cake, of course, but, with the help of sites like Morrissey-solo, there is so much else happening in between that helps to feed the addiction. And, I think, for many fans, that’s what it is – an addiction.

1-23 years.
2-Uruguayan radio, top 20.
3-First his humour.
4-None, nd never will I guess.
5-Curl into a ball and wait for gig fever to pass.
6-Helped me see my feelings were, if not normal or common, perfectly human. Gave me hope in music again, but...
7-He's human, real, funny, beautiful and intelligent, test-proof. He doesn't let us down. He's near and far at a time, and that's appealing.
8-Far, far and away. Impossible and blurry.
9-I said it before and unless you need reasons I'll spare you; I'd give my life for him.

I hope you guys understand that there's no way to make anybody understnd this kind of love/devotion. So good luck.

folks, thank you so much for these posts and all the kind PM messages also.. some of the answers are excellent and give a truthful insight into what makes us all tick when it comes to the great man!....keep 'em coming.
PS, Grim... the football analogy was perfect! :D

yes maybe a bit but if you look at the trend it started with US mostly 1 word answers then gradually progressed, so MT has now taken it to the next level, it'll be hard to follow but c'mon fellow Moz fans spill your beans in aid of a good cause!

Well done to us brave enough to bare our thoughts & feelings in public & privately. It doesn't hurt so let's see some more, please. It's an interesting thread.

love

Grim

Fair point ..

4 years...a shamefully short period I know

My brother had a mix cd his friend had made him. This Charming Man was on it. I was in his car one day and heard it.

Everything about his music was just interesting, unique and very real.

He has made a really big difference. Before I heard his songs I actually thought that no-one else felt the way I do about so many things. I feel like he sings my thoughts. It really helps to know that at least someone understands. At least someone isn't afraid of being totally honest.

Even beyond the songs, hearing what he has to say in interviews helps also, especially when he talks about growing up. I live in a really terrible area of a city, and went to a school where most people could barely read, and there I was a total bookworm who didn't beat up people for fun, sticking out like a sore thumb. So sometimes I feel like there's no hope or betterness but then I look at him and think well actually there is because he's clever, articulate, down to earth and interesting, he also came from a shitty area and went to an awful school and all the rest of it but he's been so successful and people love him and purely relate to him.

So yeah, to answer the question the difference he's made to my life is he's given me a bit of hope.

I think it is a lot to do with what he sings about. No-one else talks about the things he talks about and I think a huge amount of people feel the same way as he does. A lot of people feel alone in the world and don't tell anyone and there he is singing about how you feel and I think that's a very powerful thing for a lot of people to hear.

Sorry, I feel like I'm a terrible fan now because I've never seen him live.

I don't know really. Sorry for giving you such crappy answers. I can't even imagine meeting him to be honest. I haven't gone to any lengths in comparison to other people, but I am sitting here at 3am listening to him, and reading about him, and watching interviews with him that I've watched a million times before even though I have to be up in about 3 hours and haven't started on the readings for my class in the morning.

love

Grim

Thanks, Grim! I agree, let's hear some more! I've enjoyed reading the responses on this thread.

Vivabob, your answers were not crap. Some people prefer to read brief responses. :)

Ashleigh, it was very touching reading about how Morrissey gave you hope.

And, I think, for many fans, that’s what it is – an addiction.

Too true. I told Morrissey that he was criminally addictive and that he ought to be banned. Also told him another time that he was my drug of choice.

Reading your post about how your colleagues consider you to be obsessed with Morrissey though you think it's mild in comparison to some of the nutters here :o ;) ... reminded me of how today I ran into a non-Moz-fan friend I hadn't seen in years and tried so hard not to mention Morrissey when we sat over some beers. I figured it would be so tiresome for my friend if I were to go on and on about Morrissey.

1. Since 1995
2. Live? In 1997
3. His amazing ability to write songs about me
4. 10
5. No
6. Comfort, confidence and a lot of fun
7. Because he is so much more of a genius than anyone else :) On top of that, he seems very real on stage - like that is his true persona.
8. See above - a Morrissey gig has to be experienced from in front of the stage. It is an incredibly intense experience which leaves you drained, yet full of energy. Touching his hand or getting on stage is quite magical.
9 I don't have any desire to meet him in private. I believe - as he himself has stated - that the true Morrissey is the one we meet on stage and that he only truly exists in his relation with his fans. The private Morrissey seems like a rather complicated and unaccessible person - how else could he write those songs? - and I doubt that either of us would be enriched by such a meeting. As for live, if I were led to truly believe that he would play only one more live show, I would travel anywhere in the world for that, and pay rather large - though not obscene - amounts for it.

1. For only 3 years.
2. About 3.5 years ago on the radio. Everyday is like Sunday.
3. I was going through a very difficult time in my life. With severe depression and insomnia. I felt left out and couldn't stand people. So I felt like finding my soul-mate in him. I mean in his songs. He sang my life.
4. Now this is a bit weird. He did one gig in Istanbul (where I live.) And knowing that was his first and most probably the last time here, I just could not go. I felt like it would be too much. Like it could break me into pieces. Instead, I stayed at home, drank, cried and listened to him all night.
5. Wish I did.
6. I don't know. I guess I am more uhh... OK with who I am now, thanks to him.
7. I think because it is more than just following a singer. I feel like he puts the painful meaninglessness (is that a word?) into meaninful context. He names it, sings and talks about it, makes you feel that he shares that feeling with you on a very personal level. (OK I know, I'm very bad at expressing myself.)
8. I wish I knew.
9. All I can do is listen to his music, read books about him and visit Solo. I could not even dream of meeting him. But I could do almost everything for him if he asked.

1. I've been a fan for about seven years.
2. I first heard him when I bought the album 'Hatful of Hallow' in 2000
3. He is smart and has humour. It doen't seem completly pointless to listen to his records.
4. I've been to 5 gigs.
5. No. But I have to be as close to the scene as possible.
6. He has probably made my life a little easier (or harder, I don't know) to live. Sometimes I love him so much I wish that I had never heard him. I wish I could just listen to Madonna and be happy... Nut of course, I can't.
7. He puts word to my feelings. There is nothing like listening to one of his songs and just really, really agree. He understands you when no one else does. I don't care so much about the other fans.
8. When he plays in Sweden he always talks a lot and changes the lyrics. It is such an indescribable feeling to have him within a few yards from you. And when he looks into your eyes, or you think he does... Ahhh.
9. I don't think I would dare to meet him.. Perhaps I would like to write him a letter. I have squeezed his hand in a gig in 2006 and I have a piece of his shirt... I had to fight for it for about 20 minutes. A red Dior shirt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom