Morrissey Central "HELLO HELL" (April 19, 2021)

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

Morrissey_Band_G013_copy_2_vq4iws.jpg

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Defamatory'

As I've told you all before, he can whine as much as he like, but he hasn't the guts to take it to court and risk everyone being legally able to call him a racist.

And, sweet mother of God, they actually went with the 'he can't be racist, he has black friends' line.

Good grief
Skinny
Sod off with the “I’ve told you all before” line
You’re not ‘in the know’. And never have been.

You like to make out you’re on the inside etc, a legal expert blah blah blah, but you’re neither.
You’re a clown with no purpose in life
Keep pestering radio shows you imbecile.

we all seen you on the BBC R2 gig, whacking your leg
I saw you holding court by St George’s Hal before the gig in 2011
We know you bottled the Dublin gigs shortly after
And last but by no means least - “thinking of doing a T-shirt” :lbf::crazy:

get a hobby - you’re nuisance

Free speech is being able to discuss ideas - when people get harassed & mocked for speaking out that's a social control tactic to shut them up.

and suggesting a legal case would be an option if he had enough money to silence satire is freedom of speech?

question is does freedom of speech also include freedom for satirists to say what they want?

It goes both ways.

Moz excellent !!!! But now stay quiet that's the worst thing that can happen to these idiots, elephant skin so that everything slips, with regard to the haters here well they don't do it for free, instead those of us who love you do it well we do it without asking for anything in return, with the heart. Moz I respect you I value you and I love you. Moz, I want those sad, beautiful eyes to remain focused on positive things and to share with us, a deep embrace from Argentina VIVA MOZULIS MI CHIQUITO DE OJITOS DULCES Y TIERNOS

If I remember correctly, the NME gave only a sort of non-apology. I don't think they actually apologised for portraying him as a racist/xenophobe, did they? It was about 10 years ago and I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think they only said something like they felt sorry if Morrissey felt they'd made him seem like a racist. Am I misremembering?
I understand what you're saying. It might not have been the most heartfelt apology and would fit in the category of "non-apology apologies" but in fact that was the settlement. They did "apologize" and that's very different than @Uncleskinny's assertion that "the judge would say he is a racist."
Here is what they said and I agree with the way you're characterizing it but at the same time it is an apology.
A spokesman for NME said he now hoped both parties had "buried the hatchet" with the publication of a "clarification" in the magazine. The apology reads: "We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist; we didn't think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way. We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best."

The statement makes clear that no damages are being paid: "We have said sorry to Morrissey for any misunderstanding that may have arisen. The settlement with Morrissey does not involve payment of any damages or legal costs (other than a small sum of costs which the court ordered NME to pay last year when we applied unsuccessfully to have the case struck out on grounds of delay)."

Also, it might seem like making too fine a distinction and playing games with semantics but "racist" has more impact than "xenophobe" and I think that is why it is used. If Morrissey was called a xenophobe I don't think he would have gotten this apology.

I understand what you're saying. It might not have been the most heartfelt apology and would fit in the category of "non-apology apologies" but in fact that was the settlement. They did "apologize" and that's very different than @Uncleskinny's assertion that "the judge would say he is a racist."
Here is what they said and I agree with the way you're characterizing it but at the same time it is an apology.
A spokesman for NME said he now hoped both parties had "buried the hatchet" with the publication of a "clarification" in the magazine. The apology reads: "We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist; we didn't think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way. We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best."

The statement makes clear that no damages are being paid: "We have said sorry to Morrissey for any misunderstanding that may have arisen. The settlement with Morrissey does not involve payment of any damages or legal costs (other than a small sum of costs which the court ordered NME to pay last year when we applied unsuccessfully to have the case struck out on grounds of delay)."

Also, it might seem like making too fine a distinction and playing games with semantics but "racist" has more impact than "xenophobe" and I think that is why it is used. If Morrissey was called a xenophobe I don't think he would have gotten this apology.
Thanks for looking that up and posting it. I remember thinking at the time that it was quite unlike Morrissey to be quite so forgiving. He didn't pursue the case to court (despite a lot of bluster posted on TTY, I think) and received no compensatory payment.

You're right - in that case, a court didn't conclude that "Morrissey is a racist", or that it's permissible to portray him as such. However, it seems to me much more likely than not that his legal advisers counselled him to the effect that it was probable that the NME's characterisation of him was not libelous. Obviously, a court case - like any court case - could've gone either way, but I think Morrissey erred (if, indeed it was an error (and, personally, I don't think it was)) on the side of caution. I can't see what other explanation there is for his acceptance of the NME's non-apology.

Hmmm. I've just watched a clip in which 'Quilloughby' sings, with and to Lisa, "Everyone is horrid except me (and possibly you)". Got to be honest here, that was pretty hilarious. It's a shame that Morrissey has lost his sparkle and has to grump and grouch about this, at least, if this is the general tone of the episode; and, to be honest, even if it's not, acting as if he alone is not to be made fun of by The Simpsons (the whole purpose of which is to make fun of people) is not a good look.

Last edited:
what have i missed.i go for a kip,wake up and theres a 128 replys to a thread posted at 11 o clock last night.skinny only posted once,his keyboard must be broke from all the keyboard bashing from yesterday.as for M doing a runner up to the pearly gates,he wouldnt give these left wing roasters the satisfaction.vivamozz.
Ohh it was epic on here last night Gordy....one of the best nights I’ve ever had...

All the known cockroaches were all on here last night, all of them...

As you probably read they were all in a state of high excitement with the statement from Moz...

As you can see I smashed them all over the field, I’ve now put them back in their coffins

I 4ked them up so much that they had to call in the cavalry...

Yes the Butcher had to be brought in as Baz was smashing sixes all over the field.....
One thing about the Butcher he can at times be humorous, unlike these new clowns...
Anyhow he made a brief appearance,
Showed them how it was done then 4ked off....

At one point I was awaiting the arrival of the the Bummer boy??
He knows his place after the last time I sent him packing, tail between legs....

Yer so that was the crack from last night Gordy....
As I say what a night... 4king Epic.

Any originality in The Simpsons is long dead. It is a boring crass formula reflective of the MSM and the times in which we find ourselves. Some would argue it has been a tool of political agenda's and I am beginning to believe that, after the year we have put in and the relentless agenda of distraction, manipulation and hateful fear mongering. The Snuff side of programming.
That's all I have to say about The Simpsons, they're over, echoing away there in TV programming, land of the brain dead. TV is for those who are disconnected from the heart, waiting for Big Brother to give them the latest numbers and tell them what they are allowed to do.
If we have lost friends, they were never our friends. They just travelled with us for part of our journey. if we don't cling to people or the physical world we will have a great time here. Every soul is here on their own journey. Ultimately the only thing that is real is our heart and soul and their connection and the recognition of this in others, including in nature.
It's easier for all of us not to go on , that's what they want, so f*** them.
There are only two emotions love and fear. Pick a side and go from there. it's that simple.
Don't waste your energy on hating or haters, they're just feeding off your energy because they are not connected to a soul.

I have been listening to Alan Watts quite a bit, as I like his take on things.
"The physical world is diaphanous, it's like music.
When you play music, it simply disappears. There's nothing left, and for that reason it's one of the highest and most spiritual of the arts, because it is the most transient".
Putting our energy into creating is why we are here, soulless beings don't create, they seek to destroy and are not worthy of a souls attention. The heart and soul together is unbreakable.
Life is difficult and ultimately we come in here alone and leave the same way, but it is glorious when we meet other souls, kindred spirits, which is what Morrissey will always be to me.
Yes, we are human and the pattern of our body and face changes every day, because we are transient and yes spiritual. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it's glorious.
Beautiful...

I never said he wasn't his 'own man'. What I am saying is young Morrissey is repulsed by what he sees. That doesn't mean he isn't the same person. Spirit Morrissey takes ownership of his faults as portrayed in the show and warns Lisa not to do the same. If anything, that makes him more of his own man.

Yep. Lucky Lisa, who can still have fond memories of Quilloughby, when real life old Morrissey, although not ejaculating chipolatas 4 realz, currently does everything he can to be remembered as a frightful old bore.
Trying to get Morrissey to see a Simpsons episode as an entertaining cautionary tale about popstars or even himself (oops, too late for that!) is proving as arduous as trying to make an angry bearded man in Pakistan see the funny side of a caricature...
(Isn't it sad how every human reaction, regardless of where you're from, boils down to how much culture, education and open-mindedness you've got?)

Btw Morrissnuff, you took the Dodwell bait, but the sad truth is, if Dickens used you as inspiration for a Carol you'd still whinge, so stop trying to make us believe you know what a writer is, when you can't even do paragraphs.

As for syphilis, I guess there was just a lot about A.M Waters and Morrissey we didn't know...
The Katsis response has been run Radio Four’s 08:00 radio bulletin on the Today programme. The most listened to ABC1 demographic morning news bulletin on British radio
:rofl:Slow news day in the UK! Move over Prince Philip: make room for the Catsoup.
...Carefuuul! LIFT! -Hold on, who are we lifting again? Nobody knows, he didn't sign his very neat paragraphs.
Damn, Catsoup, how hard was it to sign Mmgmt? You dyslexic?

(BTW, Philip, excellent choice of music, dude.)(Yeah... I skipped the last two M albums but listened to the whole funeral -Don't show any emotion about that, Morrissey. Shouldn't be too hard as you don't have them.)
Somebody shoot me, please.
No. You're staying here.

That Morrissey... He does go on, doesn't he.
But you know, he couldn't fast.

... refuge cheese? AGAIN?
:drama:

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

View attachment 71275

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Related item:
Morrissey: "You can’t help but feel that the Chinese people are a subspecies."

Also Morrissey: "Why aren't people nicer?"

What, do you think, was the element that offended Morrissey the most?---The insinuation that his belly hangs out of his shirt?

Thanks for looking that up and posting it. I remember thinking at the time that it was quite unlike Morrissey to be quite so forgiving. He didn't pursue the case to court (despite a lot of bluster posted on TTY, I think) and received no compensatory payment.

You're right - in that case, a court didn't conclude that "Morrissey is a racist", or that it's permissible to portray him as such. However, it seems to me much more likely than not that his legal advisers counselled him to the effect that it was probable that the NME's characterisation of him was not libelous. Obviously, a court case - like any court case - could've gone either way, but I think Morrissey erred (if, indeed it was an error (and, personally, I don't think it was)) on the side of caution. I can't see what other explanation there is for his acceptance of the NME's non-apology.
The whole point of my original post though is that what @Uncleskinny posted was untrue. He was allowed to pursue the case but it was settled. I think the reason is that it would have been a huge gamble to pursue this case.
What the NME did was not unusual. I think their interest was to sell papers, not to harm Morrissey, but it's possible someone there didn't like him. I don't think it matters if they had a grudge against him or not because he gave them the sensational quotes.
His focus didn't seem to be on promoting his record but instead on promoting himself as a public figure with a (controversial) viewpoint. He has a history of this.

Well, this week the proverbial poo hit the fan, and the fallout has been nastier than anyone could have imagined. Morrissey and his management have even threatened the magazine with legal action. It all stems from the cover NME used to promote the interview:
s-l1600.jpg

This is actually somewhat different than The Simpsons because this is actually Morrissey and nowhere does the word "racist" appear. He's lucky he got anything at all for "OH DEAR. NOT AGAIN."
I can't remember if he actually said he'd been misquoted as he did with Der Spiegel until the recordings were produced and he quit talking about it. But in this case it was his own words and the NME comment was probably a reference to this.
781.jpg

But what are they supposed to do? I think he knew the comments were going to get attention and he'd been dealing with the press for a long time by then. He can only blame himself.

But again, it's very different because parody is protected and that's why if he tried to sue The Simpsons the issue would be about protected forms of speech.
It's interesting that people around Morrissey believe that SNL is somehow a better brand than The Simpsons as they banned Sinead O'Connor for ripping up a picture of the Pope as a protest about the Catholic Church's protection of child abusers.
Anyway, The Simpsons could have probably called that character Morrissey and gotten away with it but they didn't. Any potential legal action was never going to be about the "truth" of the portrayal. Every word they put in that character's mouth had precedent in things Morrissey has said himself, and Lisa saying that the character "is a racist" represents what a lot of fans and bystanders have said.
I didn't mean to go into it this deeply but I couldn't resist correcting @Uncleskinny.

Dearest Morrissey:

WE,

YOUR LOYAL FANS,

PROMISE TO LOVE YOU,

NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS,

FOREVERMORE...

THANK, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...

💞🌎

The whole point of my original post though is that what @Uncleskinny posted was untrue. He was allowed to pursue the case but it was settled. I think the reason is that it would have been a huge gamble to pursue this case.
What the NME did was not unusual. I think their interest was to sell papers, not to harm Morrissey, but it's possible someone there didn't like him. I don't think it matters if they had a grudge against him or not because he gave them the sensational quotes.
His focus didn't seem to be on promoting his record but instead on promoting himself as a public figure with a (controversial) viewpoint. He has a history of this.

Well, this week the proverbial poo hit the fan, and the fallout has been nastier than anyone could have imagined. Morrissey and his management have even threatened the magazine with legal action. It all stems from the cover NME used to promote the interview:
s-l1600.jpg

This is actually somewhat different than The Simpsons because this is actually Morrissey and nowhere does the word "racist" appear. He's lucky he got anything at all for "OH DEAR. NOT AGAIN."
I can't remember if he actually said he'd been misquoted as he did with Der Spiegel until the recordings were produced and he quit talking about it. But in this case it was his own words and the NME comment was probably a reference to this.
781.jpg

But what are they supposed to do? I think he knew the comments were going to get attention and he'd been dealing with the press for a long time by then. He can only blame himself.

But again, it's very different because parody is protected and that's why if he tried to sue The Simpsons the issue would be about protected forms of speech.
It's interesting that people around Morrissey believe that SNL is somehow a better brand than The Simpsons as they banned Sinead O'Connor for ripping up a picture of the Pope as a protest about the Catholic Church's protection of child abusers.
Anyway, The Simpsons could have probably called that character Morrissey and gotten away with it but they didn't. Any potential legal action was never going to be about the "truth" of the portrayal. Every word they put in that character's mouth had precedent in things Morrissey has said himself, and Lisa saying that the character "is a racist" represents what a lot of fans and bystanders have said.
I didn't mean to go into it this deeply but I couldn't resist correcting @Uncleskinny.
The thing is, I think that Uncleskinny is right, at least in part.

Yes, it would likely be impossible (maybe foolish) to invest enough money in litigation against the makers of The Simpsons, as Morrissey has said. However, when Uncleskinny says, "There's no way he'll challenge this legally, because there's no way he will risk a judge telling everyone they are legally allowed to call him racist," I think there's more than a scintilla of truth in it.I think the 2007 spat with NME seems to bear it out. Contrary to what you said earlier in the thread, Morrissey absolutely did not win. He simply didn't. The case didn't get to court because Morrissey didn't pursue it (getting only a clarification, no financial compensation and a non-apology) and so, for that reason, whether the NME would have received the court's blessing in portraying him as a racist remains, at best, a moot point.

Because the case wasn't actually resolved by the court, one way or the other, it isn't possible to know what the outcome might have been. I believe, though, (considering Morrissey's unforgiving nature) that he backed down on the basis of legal advice. Obviously, we can only speculate (I can't remember whether this debacle was covered in Autobiography?), but I believe that his legal advisers would have estimated for him his prospects of success in the proposed litigation and counselled him accordingly. In other words, I think his lawyers made plain to him that there was an at-least 50% chance that a judge would announce to the media that they were "legally allowed to call him a racist".

I think it's probably true that Morrissey doesn't have enough resources to to fight the makers of This Simpsons, but that, even if he did, he'd think twice about it, just as he appears to have done with the NME.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom