Morrissey Central "HELLO HELL" (April 19, 2021)

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

Morrissey_Band_G013_copy_2_vq4iws.jpg

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
All this and you’re the one who pretends to be a novelist or whatever?
im fasting (which is the reason i bothered to read and reply to your comment in the first place--even though you're still on ignore--because im generally more lenient when fasting)

fast with me, moz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it feels so good! you feel so dignified and so much holier than everyone else. sometimes when im not fasting i forget how essential it is to my being to feel holier than everyone else.

I am a huge fan of both Morrissey and the Simpsons (which has undoubtedly gone downhill, but what doesn't after 32 years?).

Yes, at first take the show did a hatchet job on Morrissey. Keep in mind, however, by the end of the episode the Morrissey of the past comes to the sobering realization, “Is this what I turned into? I'm greedy, I'm hateful, and my face looks like a syphilitic moon!” Thus, young Morrissey, while incorporeal, admits he has made 'mistakes' (we can quibble over that term) in later life. He tells Lisa, “...don't let him happen to you. Try not to sneer at everything. And listen to others, at least a bit...".

In an indirect manner, young Morrissey comes to terms with his future shortcomings. If the writers had not included this self-awareness, then we could say it was an unapologetically hateful parody. But they allowed young Morrissey to meet his shame head-on. I believe this is more realistic (and artistic) ending than the obese, racist, carnivorous modern Morrissey depicted having an epiphany and becoming a changed man by the episode's end.

As an aside, in admitting his future faults, young Morrissey also redeems his present ones.

This explanation won't satisfy Morrissey, but its worth considering.
this sounds like some sort of "love the smiths/hate morrissey" persons fantasy of morrissey and is based on the idea that young moz and modern moz are two different people, something i have never understood at all. they're the same people. there was nothing else for young moz to become than the person he is today.

do you like triggernometry, moz?! you should go on there!! the trigger lads have talked about having you on because their producer (a sexy young greek scouser) is apparently a big fan of yours!!! i told them, you must have him on!! he's HILARIOUS!!

Told you all. There's no way he'll challenge this legally, because there's no way he will risk a judge telling everyone they are legally allowed to call him racist.

this sounds like some sort of "love the smiths/hate morrissey" persons fantasy of morrissey and is based on the idea that young moz and modern moz are two different people, something i have never understood at all. they're the same people. there was nothing else for young moz to become than the person he is today.

Its the episode treating them as different people. Its a literary device. Have you read A Christmas Carol? Roughly 35 years separate young and old Morrissey. Are you the exact same person you were 35 years ago? People change. We have regrets. We have life-altering experiences, etc. We learn.

FWIW - I love Morrissey and the Smiths. I have seen him about ten times. One of my most treasured possessions is an intact West Ham Boys Club t-shirt he threw in Akron, Ohio in 2000. I was in seat 1A.

Told you all. There's no way he'll challenge this legally, because there's no way he will risk a judge telling everyone they are legally allowed to call him racist.
That is not the reason. But "told you all" and will undoubtedly be writing it on the walls in your own waste when they finally drag you away.
I know you think you're a legal expert because of your wife but have you really asked her or anyone what the real issue is?
In a case where someone actually wrote that "Morrissey is a racist" it would be very different. Remember when the NME did this? They wound up apologizing.
Let that sink in for a second you moron. In a case like the one you are suggesting, he actually won.
But there is no case here because no one said "Morrissey is a racist." It's a parody you simpleminded wannabe expert on all things of which you know nothing.
Tell us again about how tanneries are totally harmless. Remember when you challenged everyone to post evidence to the contrary and then quit posting for a week or two when I did?

Its the episode treating them as different people. Its a literary device. Have you read A Christmas Carol? Roughly 35 years separate young and old Morrissey. Are you the exact same person you were 35 years ago? People change. We have regrets. We have life-altering experiences, etc. We learn.

FWIW - I love Morrissey and the Smiths. I have seen him about ten times. One of my most treasured possessions is an intact West Ham Boys Club t-shirt he threw in Akron, Ohio in 2000. I was in seat 1A.

yes but i think there is this tendency among strictly smiths fans to interpret smiths era morrissey according to how they need him to be. it's a bit desperate. morrissey was and always will be his own man.

and even though i was a toddler 35 years ago, i would say that im still that same person.

That is not the reason. But "told you all" and will undoubtedly be writing it on the walls in your own waste when they finally drag you away.
I know you think you're a legal expert because of your wife but have you really asked her or anyone what the real issue is?
In a case where someone actually wrote that "Morrissey is a racist" it would be very different. Remember when the NME did this? They wound up apologizing.
Let that sink in for a second you moron. In a case like the one you are suggesting, he actually won.
But there is no case here because no one said "Morrissey is a racist." It's a parody you simpleminded wannabe expert on all things of which you know nothing.
Tell us again about how tanneries are totally harmless. Remember when you challenged everyone to post evidence to the contrary and then quit posting for a week or two when I did?
actually lisa said morrissey is a racist

yes but i think there is this tendency among strictly smiths fans to interpret smiths era morrissey according to how they need him to be. it's a bit desperate. morrissey was and always will be his own man.
I never said he wasn't his 'own man'. What I am saying is young Morrissey is repulsed by what he sees. That doesn't mean he isn't the same person. Spirit Morrissey takes ownership of his faults as portrayed in the show and warns Lisa not to do the same. If anything, that makes him more of his own man.

I never said he wasn't his 'own man'. What I am saying is young Morrissey is repulsed by what he sees. That doesn't mean he isn't the same person. Spirit Morrissey takes ownership of his faults as portrayed in the show and warns Lisa not to do the same. If anything, that makes him more of his own man.
if you say so!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom