He’s being a bit of a… Tim Booth calls out Morrissey amid far-right support claims - Echo

He’s being a bit of a… Booth calls out Morrissey amid far-right support claims - Echo
Press Association 2018

Tim Booth has labelled Morrissey a “dick” amid claims the revered singer supports the far-right.

The former Smiths frontman has just postponed his UK and European tour dates with his management saying “logistical problems” were to blame.

Booth and Morrissey were contemporaries in the Manchester music scene of the 1980s, as members of James and The Smiths respectively, with Booth saying the pair were once friends.

The 58-year-old, who is preparing to release a new album with James titled Living In Extraordinary Times, told the Press Association: “I knew Morrissey as a friend when he was sweet, very shy, very frightened. Wanting success, wanting what happened with The Smiths and also terrified of it simultaneously.

“I saw about their seventh gig in Manchester and they were fully formed. They were ready, they were lock and loaded. And we weren’t.

“They were so kind to us. Morrissey called us the best band in the world, they took us on tour, they tried to take us to America but we actually turned them down. And they were so sweet, all of them, for years.

“But I know he’s become a bit of a dick.”

Booth also said Morrissey’s former bandmate, Johnny Marr, “kept that band together” and was “one of the sweetest human beings you will ever meet”.

Morrissey, 59, recently sparked fury when he expressed sympathy for the jailed EDL founder Tommy Robinson.

Protesters labelling themselves former fans of the singer planned to hold an anti-racism party to coincide with his gig at the Castlefield Bowl in Manchester before it was postponed.

Booth added: “As I say, he did some very kind things for us so therefore it’s hard for me to say he’s a dick but he’s being a dick at the moment.”

43413_tim_booth.jpg

Tim Booth performing with James (Karin Albinsson/PA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, no matter what you think of Tim Booth and his (very tame) Moz bashing they really are truly an amazing band live, and if you haven’t seen them, and I’m sure a lot of you have, please do.

Castlefield bowl last year was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. The atmosphere was amazing, and they got some of the audience up on the stage for laid. There was a lot of emotion that night, as it was not long after the Manchester arena attack, and they were brilliant.

That poster does not have intelligence. That poster is simply wrong. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon pleaded guilty to contempt of court, and having been previously warned if he did it again he would go to jail, he was well aware of what would happen as a result of his guilty plea.

But his supporters continue to wrongly state that he was "found" guilty so they can continue to push the narrative that he is has been 'disappeared' by 'the state' and is a political prisoner. He isn't. He's a criminal. It's really that simple.

Precisely. To add on to that, Lennon's solicitor released a statement on Lennon's behalf, stating he plead guilty and was very sorry for his actions when he understood what it would cost to start a new trial or cancel the whole thing all together, and thereby release dangerous men out onto British streets again.

Morrissey is way better, cooler, smarter, and more artistic than all those wannabes. So they get jealous and make ad hominem attacks showing their ignorance. It's so sad.
Tim Booth had one US hit about getting "laid" and he sang about dying his eyes making him go blind. He's stupid.

#iHeartMOZ

I think that Tim Booth does actually live in LA. I think that he lives quite a privileged life! I doubt that Tim could care less what goes on here in the UK these days and he probably doesn't pay tax here anymore. Tim Booth has made his money and he now lives in LA.

Tim Booth is probably friends with Johnny Marr he has said nice things about Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr lives in Portland, Oregon a lot of the time.

Dave Haslam and John Robb are also friends.

I don't like Tim Booth's fashion sense at all but he can probably afford whatever he wants in life. I don't feel sorry for him. I just wish that he would leave Morrissey alone. I think that he is still feels bitter towards Morrissey all these years later.

I read an old interview of Peter Hook in the NME in 2009 he was saying nasty things about Morrissey. See link: https://www.nme.com/news/music/new-order-76-1318485

The Manchester singer Rowetta who is the backing singer in 'Happy Mondays' doesn't like Morrissey.

This makes me wonder if Morrissey has friends in Manchester bands like Joy Division/New Order, the Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, James or Oasis?

Morrissey was from Manchester itself from a proper working-class background where as a lot of those bands/acts associated with the Manchester scene came from surrounding areas probably went to grammar schools and were more middle-class than they make out. Morrissey went to a secondary modern and yet he is way more intelligent than people with degrees.

In my view Morrrissey as a solo artist is better than all those bands/groups, acts and DJ' s in the Manchester indie/Haçienda scene put together! I hope that Morrissey is blessed with a really long, happy life so that he can outlive all of those idiots. Morrissey doesn't owe any of them anything.

Honestly, no matter what you think of Tim Booth and his (very tame) Moz bashing they really are truly an amazing band live, and if you haven’t seen them, and I’m sure a lot of you have, please do.

Castlefield bowl last year was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. The atmosphere was amazing, and they got some of the audience up on the stage for laid. There was a lot of emotion that night, as it was not long after the Manchester arena attack, and they were brilliant.

Looks Like Buzzcocks have been brought in to play Castlefield tomorrow night after Elvis Costello pulled out

Precisely. To add on to that, Lennon's solicitor released a statement on Lennon's behalf, stating he plead guilty and was very sorry for his actions when he understood what it would cost to start a new trial or cancel the whole thing all together, and thereby release dangerous men out onto British streets again.
FREE TOMMY ROBINSON, POLITICAL PRISONER, AND THEN INSTALL HIM AS OUR NEW PRIME MINISTER - Anne Marie Waters as deputy.

People that do know him better or from recent years don't seem to be mouthing off which speaks volumes in itself.
We live in times where people exist in a on an engineered diet of fear based news,reality TV, soaps and talk shows catering to the l owest common denominator. As for music Google MK Ultra
Anyone who is their own person like Morrissey will be ganged up on by the mindless "moral,," majority who are incapable or afraid to think for themselves.
Anyone who genuinely questions our perceived reality appears "spectacularly unhinged" according to the drama obsess ed sheeple
Stay asleep and stick with the programme if that helps you get through life Good luck

No one is ganging up on Morrissey, he has said a bunch of stupid shit over the years and people have always given him a pass or the benefit of the doubt because of his music and brilliance, but you can only give a pass and tolerate so much for so long that many of these stupid racial and outlandish things that he says that you as an individiual have to say to yourself for f***s sake shut the f*** up to the man or come to realize maybe he is a racist deep down and a pathological liar. He also has no sense of empathy unlesss it’s for one of his causes.

I would cut my own tongue before speaking ill of someone who helped me so much. If I really cared, I would try to talk to that person and ask him why he thinks what he thinks, and give him my own political opinion. But I would never publicly crucify in that way someone who was on my side in the past.

Hasn't stopped Morrissey in the past, there are loads who have helped moz and he has shit all on them.
Lets not forget his 15 years of bitching about Bowie . he went out of his way to bitch about Bowie . Shit even in his made up John Riggers interview he took a shot .

Tim was asked a question at a press gig, he answered it.Johnny has been asked questions he answered them The truth is they all know enough to burry Moz in a grave he would never escape . They are actually being nice, maybe trying to help. You lot are too f***ing stupid to see it.
Tim was saying he is thankful for what moz had done but thinks hes acting "like a dick" lots of us think that . We wish Moz well. We disagree with a lot of what the press says about Moz but he is acting like a dick , unless you are a twat arse licker thats obvious .
No one is hindering Morrissey but Morrissey . He had all that good will when the last LP came out and he trashed it, again. The gigs didn't go ahead due to low sales. Morrissey is free to say what he wants, mock who he likes. People are free to not go to his gigs and most stayed away.

That clown saying about Tim, that he knows knowing about how "real people" live, is that a bloody joke? He knows more than Morrissey who has been a millionaire since about about 1987. The trouble with Moz is he want's to be "in touch" but has a f***ed up idea about things. If Morrissey would have not got f***ed up on pills and beer and hung around with dumb people over the last 10 years he might have had a clearer idea of things.

You will get the hardcore fans who will go along with whatever Moz says, its not helping him though, is it?
You will get the new racist's in the fan base who will say moz is speaking for the people , that the people are behind him, if thats the case why did he not sell one venue, where are the people ?
Look at bands like the Roses or even Liam (also from an indie background) they sell football stadiums and Finsbury Park . They and their fans speak for Britain and they are the many.

Morrissey has f***ed himself over in the UK and lots of Europe , which lets face it is 100 times more intelligent than The America's. Morrissey is now going to play to sheep fans and Trump types. Yes you will get he casual observer who just knows "the hits" and will sing along to them but its an empty experience , for both crowd and artist. Its not what Morrissey was about before.

I think Moz can turn it all around, if he keeps his mouth shut for a year , starts giving interesting interviews with real writers , gets rid of that repulsive Mexican "guitarist" , put's his nephew only on cloak room duties.

But at the moment, he hasn't just trashed his short term prospects he has actually done real damage to his legacy. In the end its about the music but Moz was like Dylan and Bowie he had more going for him than just music. If he gets his act together this recent stuff can be glossed over but if he carries this BS on for much longer his story will be one of victory with the Smiths and a car crash as a solo artist , no one will remember his good work in the 90s and around Quarry, it will just be "the smiths were great , I like them but Moz solo had one or two good singles but what a fool he ended up being, racist c***"- which in all honesty is how lots of people have thought anyway , there were just lots of us still carrying the torch .

I myself don't think there will be talk of Morrissey in 100 years time, theres so much music and life has moved on only the heavy weights like The Beatles, Stones, Dylan and Bowie and Elvis will be remembered in any real way , the rest will be foot notes to train spotter types. Lots of young people have no idea who was in the Sex Pistols or can name all Beatles . Maybe Moz knows this deep down , so rather than aim for something eternal, like he used to, hes contenting himself being a Katie Hopkins type .

Thanks for that, I was not aware of that statement he issued. It only further goes to show how boneheaded the 'Free Tommy' brigade are. They're running around bleating about injustice and silencing free speech while the man himself has at least had the good grace to admit he understands and accepts the consequences of his wrongdoing. Maybe his supporters should listen to him a bit more.

Pleading guilty or not guilty is determined by your legal teams advice in order to minimise time spent in prison It is a tactic and cannot always be taken literally.
Not so much a tactic as something your lawyers will advise you to do if there's no realistic hope of being found not guilty. So you do it when you know very well you're bang to rights.

Pleading guilty or not guilty is determined by your legal teams advice in order to minimise time spent in prison It is a tactic and cannot always be taken literally.

That's true but in this particular instance he really had no choice as it was a clear cut case. He broke the court order by broadcasting about the trial while it was still in progress, and evidence of that was all over the internet. The 'Free Tommy' brigade really are running out of arguments if they're now trying to intimate that he only admitted it to get a shorter sentence.

That photo of Tim Booth with the goatee beard and shaven head makes him look a bit like the villains Ming from Flash Gordon or Anton LaVey...

minglavey1.jpg

43413_tim_booth.jpg

Thanks for that, I was not aware of that statement he issued. It only further goes to show how boneheaded the 'Free Tommy' brigade are. They're running around bleating about injustice and silencing free speech while the man himself has at least had the good grace to admit he understands and accepts the consequences of his wrongdoing. Maybe his supporters should listen to him a bit more.

According to Tommy R, he was tricked into pleading guilty and didnt really want to because he was innocent all along. He was clearly guilty of contempt. All he had to do was wait until the trial was over and then report on it, but he insisted on massively shitstirring outside the court.

However I suspect there is some truth in Tommy having been harassed generally by the authorities and media.

Another Moz fan put me on to Douglas Murray and The strange death of Europe. Now there’s someone who presents a well-constructed argument...

FREE TOMMY ROBINSON, POLITICAL PRISONER

How can you be happy to remain so ignorant? There's more than enough true information on the last few pages of this thread to demonstrate how he was legitimately jailed for a criminal offence and yet still you stick your fingers in your ears and sing 'la la la he's a political prisoner'.

You know, there's no law against admitting you might have got something wrong. It's fine, no one will hate you for it. I used to be a climate change denier. For years I swam against the tide insisting it was all nonsense, but over time I found I had increasingly flimsy arguments. And as the evidence stacked up and more and more people who knew what they were talking about spoke out about it, I looked at it again with an open mind (that's the important bit, keeping an open mind; ie not ruling out that you might be wrong) and realised I HAD been wrong all those years. And you know what? It felt great. Finally realising and admitting to myself that my increasingly desperate efforts to deny evidence and reality were futile and that eventually the truth outs itself - it was liberating and gave me an entire new approach to life. I've been a much better person since that day, and a much happier one.

I think that if you were a Manchester band back in the day you’re going to get asked about Moz at the moment, don’t think it’s an album selling agenda. It has been clear for years he’s not keen on Moz anymore.

But I also agree with what stevethenutter said, these people don’t know him anymore do they, Marr, Joyce, Haslam, Booth. But they must know people that do though? And Moz is appearing to be spectacularly unhinged ATM.
morrisseys not a racist. Hes English we all are
irene

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom