has the quality of the tour merch went down hill

vivabob

Ordinary Boy
has anyone else noticed over the past few years that the tour t-shirts have got worse , to the point i havent bought one in a few years

i liked the other stuff , cuff links etc , i even bought a rather nice cardigan sports top thing

i liked the early tour t-shirts , with edith sitwell, harvey keitel, charle richardson even the John Carr one was nice

sitwell.jpg

has anyone else noticed over the past few years that the tour t-shirts have got worse , to the point i havent bought one in a few years

i liked the other stuff , cuff links etc , i even bought a rather nice cardigan sports top thing

i liked the early tour t-shirts , with edith sitwell, harvey keitel, charle richardson even the John Carr one was nice

sitwell.jpg

Oh yes, definitely. It seems like Morrissey isn't spending any time designing his tour merchandise anymore. They have gotten really bad... although I did like the Mozalini shirt. But yes, it used to be that Morrissey shirts were brilliant fashion statements - now they are just run-of-the-mill concert shirts. Alas...

When he gets ready to promote and tour the next round, he should hold a design contest. Let people submit designs for merch, and he chooses his favorite six or eight. He would need to source and clear rights to a folder of photos first, some new ones of him, and then any stock images he liked. That would be so cool. Prize is, you get a few of the shirt you designed, plus a free ticket and you get to meet him when he comes to the city nearest you.

I was sort of surprised/depressed at the tour theming this year in the U.S. - leftover Ringleader items, and a few forgettable t-shirts. I felt like Moz was over the wrecked-classy Ringleader aesthetic, but hadn't really worked out what he was moving onto yet, so he or his proxy went for the tried and true: the kind of designs the 90's tours would've had (the gloves/birds motifs were straight from the Southpaw era), if he'd sort of phoned them in. They were trying, with that upside-down text and other business, but it didn't work for me.

Also, I still haven't worked out whether the Greatest Hits business was a joke or not. I realize that it's just the kind of joke Moz would do, especially given the visual pun of the boxing gloves, but there was a faint aura of depression/water-treading over the dates I attended which made me think that, at some point, the idea "Oh, just do a best-of" crossed his mind unironically. I mean, it's not that I didn't enjoy the shows (they were some of the most amazing evenings of my life, both Moz and Kristeen) but they didn't feel like he was touring new material anymore; they felt more like what I imagine the late-90's American tours were, with more focus on the past than the future. And a lot of the general design reflected that for me: James Dean with the grave cropped out was clever, but the reference was to "Everyday Was Like Sunday" (and perhaps even Strangeways); ART SUFFER ENGLAND HATRED, as better-functioning eyes than mine have spotted, is from the Kill Uncle era.

I don't like to assume too much about Morrissey's personal mindset, but I feel like the boy really needs to rest and regroup - I hope he stops touring now and starts thinking about writing again, or even takes a little time off. The Ringleader tour proper had theming I really loved, and wish I could've seen in person, so I think he's still got it, he wasn't up to it recently for whatever reason.

(Rereading this thread, it seems people aren't into the recent shirts at all, full stop - hmm. I like and own the New York Dolls-style one with the lipstick...I wasn't around for the early 90's, and I've never seen one of those in person - did they actually just have the image and maybe his name on the back? I will admit I prefer that stealthier, more design-y approach to the current one where his name is front and center, but maybe the old idea would've gotten stale by now anyway.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom