Has Morrissey got another good album in him?

Contrary to widespread belief, Morrissey does not compose or play music. As he points out himself, he is not a musician.
His albums are called 'Morrissey' but, like with the Smiths, he is simply the singer (and lyricist) in a pop group.
Whether the pop group 'Morrissey' releases a good or great album depends hugely on the quality of the song compositions provided by the songwriters.
In World Peace, the three songwriters (Boz, Jesse and Gustavo) gave Morrissey generally much better songs than he'd had for years.
If they can do the same again then, yes, 'Morrissey' might have a good album in him (or rather them).

I think the most I'm able to say at this point is that if he gets to make another album, I'll buy it, and I'm sure I'll like at least a couple of the songs on it.

Contrary to widespread belief, Morrissey does not compose or play music. As he points out himself, he is not a musician.
His albums are called 'Morrissey' but, like with the Smiths, he is simply the singer (and lyricist) in a pop group.
Whether the pop group 'Morrissey' releases a good or great album depends hugely on the quality of the song compositions provided by the songwriters.
In World Peace, the three songwriters (Boz, Jesse and Gustavo) gave Morrissey generally much better songs than he'd had for years.
If they can do the same again then, yes, 'Morrissey' might have a good album in him (or rather them).

One counterpoint to mention though is that he does choose from what the musicians submit to him - arguably, he could be throwing away some gems.

I think World Peace...is a great album. It was great lyrically and vocally and the production really lifted it. He needs to find some new tunesmiths though to take him somewhere off the beaten track. It is funny I am a big John Grant fan but his quality control is done after 3 albums and yet his last album was praised to the heavens.

sure: the fire which seems out often only sleeps beneath the cinders (pierre corneille)

not that morrisseys fire has EVER seemed out <3

NEXT!

sure: the fire which seems out often only sleeps beneath the cinders (pierre corneille)

not that morrisseys fire has EVER seemed out <3

NEXT!

You are mixing your characters. Next is for Ketamine Sun :D

I'm sure Moz influences directly the arrangements, and I'm certain he writes his own melodies. I'd say that Boz, Jesse and Gustavo gave Morrissey music - not songs - onto which Moz laid the songs that he himself wrote.

Not if recent posts on TTY are any indication of his current artistic/lyrical/thematic creativity. Same old themes, only now with the wit, charm, and subtlety of a 12 year old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom