Has Morrissey ever been forced to physically defend himself at a concert?

Mozzafan#1

hope it's never happened... but has he ever been attacked on stage or after his set? anyone know?

i'm curious, do you think Morrissey has a natural aptitude for hand-to-hand combat?

do you think Morrissey has a natural aptitude for hand-to-hand combat?

not really.......
tumblr_l5hmwcIdAw1qbpa7ao1_250.gif

hope it's never happened... but has he ever been attacked on stage or after his set? anyone know?

i'm curious, do you think Morrissey has a natural aptitude for hand-to-hand combat?

Morrissey has a couple toughs just offstage ready to swing into action on his behalf should things get too rough.

not really.......
tumblr_l5hmwcIdAw1qbpa7ao1_250.gif

Wonderful gif :guitar:

Johnny Marr mentioned one Smiths incident where Morrissey got dragged into the crowd and ended up with a lump "the size of an egg" on his head, while the sound guy had blood all over his arms. Morrissey went to the hospital but got sick of waiting and went back home without treatment, and the media tried to spin it that he was attacked by "Royalists" :lbf:. Considering that most would-be stage-rushers are battered just for trying to shake his hand these days, I'd say the security has got a lot stricter.

wonderful gif :guitar:

Johnny marr mentioned one smiths incident where morrissey got dragged into the crowd and ended up with a lump "the size of an egg" on his head, while the sound guy had blood all over his arms. Morrissey went to the hospital but got sick of waiting and went back home without treatment, and the media tried to spin it that he was attacked by "royalists" :lbf:. Considering that most would-be stage-rushers are battered just for trying to shake his hand these days, i'd say the security has got a lot stricter.

Yes I remember that. Someone told me that the person who pulled him off stage was a "big guy" but it was part of the usual Morrissey stage adoration rather than an attack.

I do remember reading about another incident where he WAS attacked on stage by a couple of anti-Morrissey guys. It was somewhere in America during the Smiths days, and they said Moz was kicked a few times while he was curled up in a ball to protect himself, and that after the gig they were burning Morrissey posters outside the venue. Can't remember where I read it as it was years ago, but may have been in one of the Smiths Indeed fanzines, or one of the early books on The Smiths. Does anyone else recall this?

..This doesn't really "Count" here, but...it may interest some fans.....
When the Smiths/new order played a benefit gig for Liverpool City council in 1985 ( I think), I was in the audience, and spotted one of my mates working as security onstage during the evenings proceedings. my mate absolutely HATED the Smiths, (and particularly Morrissey), and I thought he may actually try to attack him when they appeared, or at any backstage opportunity ( ...he had been employed for the evening because he was a HUGE, aggresive looking "Skinhead" hard-man type, by the theatre to "help out"). Anyway, he didn't attempt to hurt Mozzer at all, and was "Down the front" when Morrissey discarded his shirt into the crowd during the show. He saw the catcher ( a young lady) being attacked by other (mostly Male) fans, to try to get at it, so he snatched it away from the girl, and told her he would keep it safe for her, and give her it after the show. Which he did. The moral of this story is...????

I do remember reading about another incident where he WAS attacked on stage by a couple of anti-Morrissey guys. It was somewhere in America during the Smiths days, and they said Moz was kicked a few times while he was curled up in a ball to protect himself, and that after the gig they were burning Morrissey posters outside the venue. Can't remember where I read it as it was years ago, but may have been in one of the Smiths Indeed fanzines, or one of the early books on The Smiths. Does anyone else recall this?

I have never ever heard of this, in 25 years of being a fan. I would think it would be much better known if it was true. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Sex Pistols tour through Texas?

I have never ever heard of this, in 25 years of being a fan. I would think it would be much better known if it was true. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Sex Pistols tour through Texas?
No, it was definitely in reference to Morrissey being attacked. The article was in a form which would now be described as a blog, and was written by a fan who attended a gig (pretty sure it was Smiths rather than solo, as I read it some time around 1990-ish). The writer was describing the whole ups and downs of the being a fan and other peoples views and prejudices and dislikes of Morrissey, and specifically the night of this gig which I think was in north America (I live in the UK). Two very specific things I remember was how Morrissey did not fight back, but defended himself by curling up in a ball on stage while he was attacked, and that this group of locals who hated him burned some Morrissey merchandise outside the venue when the writer was leaving. I have no idea whether this was true but I definitely read it and it has stuck in my mind ever since. I remember my friend reading it as well and commenting on the stage attack to me a few days later. I'm pretty sure it was either a magazine or a fanzine, and probably the latter due to the 'blog' nature of it. I've never read of it anywhere else either, but presume someone on here who is old enough may recall the article.

Yes I remember that. Someone told me that the person who pulled him off stage was a "big guy" but it was part of the usual Morrissey stage adoration rather than an attack.

You are correct this was in Smiths Indeed, and the incident took place on the American/Canadian leg on the Queen is Dead tour.

Incidentally, the article was written by Julia Riley under her maiden name

You are correct this was in Smiths Indeed, and the incident took place on the American/Canadian leg on the Queen is Dead tour.

Wow, thanks, I couldn't remember where I read it, but had an idea it must have been that fanzine. Do you know which edition of Smiths Indeed it was published in by any chance?

No, it was definitely in reference to Morrissey being attacked. The article was in a form which would now be described as a blog, and was written by a fan who attended a gig (pretty sure it was Smiths rather than solo, as I read it some time around 1990-ish). The writer was describing the whole ups and downs of the being a fan and other peoples views and prejudices and dislikes of Morrissey, and specifically the night of this gig which I think was in north America (I live in the UK). Two very specific things I remember was how Morrissey did not fight back, but defended himself by curling up in a ball on stage while he was attacked, and that this group of locals who hated him burned some Morrissey merchandise outside the venue when the writer was leaving. I have no idea whether this was true but I definitely read it and it has stuck in my mind ever since. I remember my friend reading it as well and commenting on the stage attack to me a few days later. I'm pretty sure it was either a magazine or a fanzine, and probably the latter due to the 'blog' nature of it. I've never read of it anywhere else either, but presume someone on here who is old enough may recall the article.

According to passionsjustlikemine.com it happened during 3 August 1986 Montreal gig:

The Smiths made a few changes to the setlist. "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" returned, replacing "William, It Was Really Nothing".
The Montreal experience was supposedly very different to the rest of the tour. The crowd dressed and reacted differently, and very few people had brought flowers (it was a custom at the time). This show is remembered as one of the wildest of this leg. There was a great deal of pushing in the crowd, coins were thrown on stage and some fans climbed up and threw themselves at Morrissey. Some fans had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. Morrissey ran the risk of being pulled into the audience each time he moved forward to touch hands. At one point he gave the microphone to a girl who was gesturing for him. She said out loud "We up front are getting flattened" to which Morrissey plainly replied after retrieving his microphone "The lady is a star!".

Not long after, during "How Soon Is Now?" three male fans got on stage together, ran into Morrissey and fell to the floor over him. Morrissey didn't defend himself or fight back, he simply curled into himself and waited. After the bouncers took care of the men, Morrissey slowly got up again and finished the song. During the last encore, "Hand In Glove", a girl approached Morrissey and simply stood beside him with an arm around his waist, stroking him as he sang. She left the stage at the end of the song.

The violence continued after the concert. Outside some people had set some things on fire and ambulances could be seen, giving an eerie feeling to the place.

No wonder Morrissey's not in a big rush not to sing in Canada. :squiffy:

According to passionsjustlikemine.com it happened during 3 August 1986 Montreal gig:

.. If they could see Moz was lying on the floor being kicked, why the hell didn't Johnny or Andy try to help him?!

.. If they could see Moz was lying on the floor being kicked, why the hell didn't Johnny or Andy try to help him?!
Hi Amy, like I said it was such a long time ago that I can't vouch for the details, and I didn't write it, but I know what you mean, surely Johnny or Andy should help if that happened. If events took fold as they where reported, I presume they were VERY fast and were over before they began, so I presume it was all very quick. It sounds plausible in a certain context of a crowd, but horrible either way. That's my memory of the report, that of horrible thoughts of violence

because their pussies

Unlikely. Johnny does come from Wythenshawe after all... !

I'm actually surprised that Moz stood up and continued the gig. Being kicked is a bit more serious than a plastic bottle to the side of the head!

Unlikely. Johnny does come from Wythenshawe after all... !

I'm actually surprised that Moz stood up and continued the gig. Being kicked is a bit more serious than a plastic bottle to the side of the head!

He has lying on the floor to an art form......

tumblr_lzmc1d38ZA1rpmyg3o1_500.jpg

Because this happened at every show. Those guys did not have any ill intentions, they were just over-enthusiastic fans.

Stephane

But if they were kicking him and burning merchandise outside the venue, how is that not an attack?

Back
Top Bottom