Has anyone ever...

Dave2006

...put together a collection of the original sources or artwork for Smiths album and singles?

There's obviously useful info on passions and in Peepholism...but not much of the artwork (before Jo Slee and Morrissey altered them) is featured.

I'm off work at the moment on the sick and I'm looking for something to do...so if no one has already done it, I'm going to set myself a challenge...

Dave

Maybe you should sent a PM to Flax who already has his own site http://vulgarpicture.com

I don't think that's what Dave meant. I'm thinking that Dave is looking for the Magazine article which had the unknown child (That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore), the full pic of Joe Dallesandro (The Smiths), Viv Nicholson at an easel, The Boys on The World Won't Listen...and so forth - the original sources for the artwork, not just the images themselves.

Peter

I don't think that's what Dave meant. I'm thinking that Dave is looking for the Magazine article which had the unknown child (That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore), the full pic of Joe Dallesandro (The Smiths), Viv Nicholson at an easel, The Boys on The World Won't Listen...and so forth - the original sources for the artwork, not just the images themselves.

Peter

Yes, Peter, that's right.

eg: (from passions) hand in glove - The photo is in fact of George O'Mara and was taken by Lou Thomas of Target Studio in San Francisco circa 1972. It was lifted from Margaret Walter's 1978 book "The Nude Male" (where it was incorrectly credited as taken by Jim French).​

I guess that, because you two don't know that someone's already done it, no one has. Right?

I'll get cracking... just after my afternoon nap :)

btw, Peter, hope you are well after your recent trip to hospital, I don't think my stomach has stopped turning after reading about it.

Yes, Peter, that's right.

eg: (from passions) hand in glove - The photo is in fact of George O'Mara and was taken by Lou Thomas of Target Studio in San Francisco circa 1972. It was lifted from Margaret Walter's 1978 book "The Nude Male" (where it was incorrectly credited as taken by Jim French).​

I guess that, because you two don't know that someone's already done it, no one has. Right?

I'll get cracking... just after my afternoon nap :)

btw, Peter, hope you are well after your recent trip to hospital, I don't think my stomach has stopped turning after reading about it.

Oh, the foot is fine. Slight problem that the wound on the left side which was stitched up is infected. I can walk now, hopefully driving before long. Ta for the good wishes.

Peter

Like this...
attachment.php

This is a god idea. But it takes a lot of effort and time to do this. Some of it is out on the internet all ready if you know where to look, but some is not...

Yes, leastlikelyto. Thank you.

I'm sure some will be easy and some hard, but it will be good to try and collect good quality copies - maybe Flax or Stephane could host them on their sites?

Dave

Peter
i know the full picture(with the client licking his lips in anticipation)who is cropped out of the cover of the smiths debut album(dallesandro )are printed in full in the peepholism book) for example

Last edited:
All the information, when it is known, appears in the 'artwork' section of the respective discography entries at "Passions Just Like Mine". I even have the original artwork to view when available.

Stephane

here info on hand in glove plus orginal pic
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=495765#post495765

EDIT:morrissey has spoken about it about the reason why he did use that image..something along the line that only females are exposing their sexuality for advertise use..
absolutely!
and
"I adore the picture... Naked males should be splashed around the Co-op."
the statement was from UKmag-HIM magazine in the early 80 ties ,methinks..if someone stillhas the article feel free to post it in this thread!

orginal pic

Last edited:
All the information, when it is known, appears in the 'artwork' section of the respective discography entries at "Passions Just Like Mine". I even have the original artwork to view when available.

Stephane

Hi Stephane
I use your site. A lot. I think it's great. I know that for each release you give info on the source of the image used, but I can only find links to original images for "the smiths", "William.." "Meat is murder", "That joke isn't funny" and "Shoplifters"...

There must be others - for example, I have a copy of "Birds of Britain" with the Image of Alexandra Bastedo used for the cover of Rank

Sheridan Whiteside provided a copy of the photo used in Hand In Glove http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=495765&postcount=6

I'm going to work on this one...obviously if solo-ers have originals that they can contribute, all the better, but I'm going to start scouring ebay and amazon etc... for some of the original books mentioned in Peepholism and Passions...

It might not get me anywhere...but if it does, I'll post them here :)

Obviously, with one arm in plaster, my typing isn't very fast ... thanks for the links above...great minds think alike :)

There must be others - for example, I have a copy of "Birds of Britain" with the Image of Alexandra Bastedo used for the cover of Rank.

You've got too much money - have you seen how much that goes for on Ebay?? Ridiculous money!

Peter

You've got too much money - have you seen how much that goes for on Ebay?? Ridiculous money!

Peter

I got it on ebay earlier this year - I can't remember exactly how much I paid - less than £60 I think.

It is beautiful, though.

Some pics of other Smiths favs such as Cilla Black and Sandie Shaw, which is probably why Morrissey was looking ;)

I'm going to work on this one...obviously if solo-ers have originals that they can contribute, all the better, but I'm going to start scouring ebay and amazon etc... for some of the original books mentioned in Peepholism and Passions...

If you have originals to submit, I'll add them. I already had the "Hand In Glove", but i didn't put it up because it wasn't really altered for the single artwork.

Btw you'll have a difficult time finding a copy of Viv Nicholson's "Spend Spend Spend" with a few of her cover pictures in it, well at least difficult to find a cheap one. If you want a battered copy, let me know, I can sell you mine.

Stephane

Back
Top Bottom