Has anybody ever noticed how Morrissey on stage

M

MuteWitness616

Has anybody ever noticed how sometimes Morrissey on stage looks like he's a about to break down and cry.

I think that's really sweet that he actually connects to the audience on a real emotional level. That's very sweet and tender of him

Re: Has anybody ever noticed how Morrissey....on stage

you mean like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Has anybody ever noticed how sometimes Morrissey on stage looks like he's a about to break down and cry.

I think that's really sweet that he actually connects to the audience on a real emotional level. That's very sweet and tender of him

Yes. I don't think it's an act. It's heartbreaking. I so wish I or someone had filmed Seasick in Milwaukee 2009.

Last edited:

He is true to us

I think it's about him, not us. He's singing his life.

That's a great video, very moving. Are there any others?

I so wish I or someone had filmed Seasick in Milwaukee 2009.

I have photos, but I believe his back was turned to my side of the stage for that song.
Didn't he sing Seasick facing stage right?

I have photos, but I believe his back was turned to my side of the stage for that song.
Didn't he sing Seasick facing stage right?

I thought he was standing somewhat on the "stage left" side of the stage. I recall him standing somewhat towards stage right, but that would have made him facing the center of the audience and hopefully his face visible to all. If you were at stage right, you might have been a bit far away, and if you were too far stage left, his shoulder or back or some object could perhaps have obstructed your view, I guess.

The emotional parts seemed to me to be when he would step back and towards the "stage left" side. I found it odd that the spotlight wasn't on him when he'd step back. Maybe he gave some kind of gesture to the light person, or has some kind of arrangement, or the light person noticed his face?

I thought he was standing somewhat on the "stage left" side of the stage. I recall him standing somewhat towards stage right, but that would have made him facing the center of the audience and hopefully his face visible to all. If you were at stage right, you might have been a bit far away, and if you were too far stage left, his shoulder or back or some object could perhaps have obstructed your view, I guess.

The emotional parts seemed to me to be when he would step back and towards the "stage left" side. I found it odd that the spotlight wasn't on him when he'd step back. Maybe he gave some kind of gesture to the light person, or has some kind of arrangement, or the light person noticed his face?

LOL, now I'm totally confused, but this was my view.....

MKE09_8294.jpg

MKE09_8298.jpg

This man gets a little emotional as well..I should do a mash-up of these two vids. Would be the closest thing to a Smiths reunion in years :lbf:

I think it's about him, not us. He's singing his life.

That's a great video, very moving. Are there any others?

LOL, now I'm totally confused, but this was my view.....

The second picture seems like it might be where he was standing (in my memory I thought it was further back). I recall him bowing his head down at the moments I'm thinking of.

I've always taken it to be quite staged to be honest. Especially as it tends to happen in the exact same place during each performance.

I expect the truth is somewhere in the middle. I expect a performer like Moz needs to have at least a few moments of real, immediate emotional connection to keep the performance true. One tool a performer can use to stay connected is to choose (or rehearse, perhaps) a few lines among the hundreds they deliver as moments to "reconnect" emotionally to the material. In different tours he may choose a different line depending on what's "raw" in his life at the time; but the fact that it happens the same place each night may suggest it is planned or anticipated, but does not mean it is (entirely?) insincere....

In fact, Morrissey breaking down and crying seem strange but it's not - 'cause since Smiths' year he does it. I do believe he's really affect for emotions when he cries - such a lovely action of our man. I don't remember if he cried but in "Who put" he's really touched by emotions while he and guys are playing "I know it's gonna happen someday".

I disagree that it's at the same place each night, that hasn't been my experience. In Milwaukee he really seemed to be having a bad night, walking off stage mid-song several times, then in Chicago he sang the same songs in about the same order and was in a great mood.

If he did get upset at the same song more than one night in a row, it could mean that the particular song is about a time, place or idea that is really upsetting to him in that particular month. Artists that write songs about bad things that happened to them can sometimes get upset all over again singing that song, even 20+ years later.

Also, it seems to embarrass him, he seems to try to hide it. Not sure he would act and then run off stage.

This man gets a little emotional as well..I should do a mash-up of these two vids. Would be the closest thing to a Smiths reunion in years :lbf:

Johnny singing! how beautiful.

morrissey breaks my heart:love:

One of my favorite scenes from who put the M... is during one of the songs, he's not facing the crowd and he's kinda bending down and he looks like he's trying REALLY hard not to smile but he just can't help it. It's just really sweet...

I think it's sweet that he feels such strong emotions... it's a two way street really.

Tags
erving goffman preforming showbiz magick
Back
Top Bottom