Harvest Records claims to take over @itsmorrissey Twitter account, bids farewell to it

Yeah, because an "interloper" decided to add Harvest Records to his Twitter and update it with the newest promotional pictures and material...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was totally weird.

All very peculiar.
The Twitter and FB account existed well prior to Harvest's involvement.
The Harvest site links to the Facebook acc ('Morrissey Official') that is meant to be nothing to do with Moz.
@verify at Twitter also felt it real enough to give it the verified tick.
So all smells rather odd indeed.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
All very peculiar.
The Twitter and FB account were active prior to Harvest's involvement.
The Harvest site links to the Facebook acc ('Morrissey Official') that is meant to be nothing to do with Moz.
@verify at Twitter also felt it real enough to give it the verified tick.
So all smells rather odd indeed.
Regards,
FWD

Morrissey's FB account was created during his signing of Decca which is a part of Universal Music.

Harvest is owned by Capital Records which is also under Universal Music. FB account has been passed on to Harvest, it isn't odd.

Last edited:
donnie1.jpg

Morrissey's weird manager.

No, the whole thing is odd.
Who owns what isn't really as important as why someone would distance themselves from two 'official' social media sites designed to promote their music. Official enough to be verified by twitter and then acknowledged by Harvest that an 'interloper' was possibly running amok (by promoting the album...great interloping!).
Enough to want to gain control of it (weren't they always?) and remove it. Yet not facebook... which IS all rather odd despite some people's knowledge of record label ownership.
FWD

Last edited:
The foolish have been fooled , the deluded have been face booked, simples .
But u will all continue to post nothingness .
Long live old school communication .

Essentially, this all amounts to:

"Morrissey f***ed us over by being a pretentious dick and essentially killing our promotional push of the new album. He was too lazy to be involved in the process so we faked his involvement. We're embarrassed now and will no longer promote him via social media. Much love, Harvest Records."

donnie1.jpg

Morrissey's weird manager.

Look at his hand. This was the ticket that one of the deluded dozen used to get into the sold out show. The times are a changing--come to Following the Mozziah and join a kind, loving group of fans. You might even interact with one Morrissey's pessoas and find that you like it here!

The Blue Rose Society even welcomes the young Morrissey fans who have been able to give him roses!

Not TRB!

I can see exactly how it all went down. The account was created awhile back, someone at Harvest thought it was a great idea to get a hold of it and make it an official "Morrissey" twitter, so it happened and then Morrissey got wind of it and went "what's this 21st century shit? f*** that!" and contacted Harvest and now they pulled the plug.

To be fair, the person using the Morrissey Twitter was actually pretending to be Morrissey, whereas whoever's behind the Official Facebook page blatantly isn't Morrissey and never tried to fool anybody into thinking otherwise. Yes, it's a terrible shame that Morrissey isn't getting behind the modern lucrative ways of endorsement (not that he's the only aging musician to be resilient to change), but you can't really blame him for getting annoyed when he found out that somebody was pretending to be him...

I am upset by this and embarrassed for Morrissey!

I thought the move to join Twitter was brilliant! He got soooo much buzz. Quite a few people texted or told me at work how excited they were and that they were following Morrissey. These are people who know/ care little about Morrissey in general. They were looking forward to his funny/cleaver/wacky tweets! He would have gotten sooo much exposure. Potentially a ticking time bomb but I think the good would have out weighed the bad.

So now it's like another weird Morrissey thing that didnt work out. Again.

I feel like Harvest is giving him a good push. I wish he could play along...just a bit...it a very Morrissyish way of course. *Sigh*

This whole Twatter fiasco will be 'Exhibit A' when Harvest defends themselves against Morrissey's claims that "Harvest Records just didn't want to promote the record--as all of my former record companies had failed to do in the past."

As rushed a job as it was (keen eyes will note that the Twitter/Facebook push didn't happen until the lack of social media presence was criticized here on Moz-soLow), you can't blame Harvest for not trying. Their two faults were 1) not getting old Misery's OK, and 2) not getting a social media agent familiar with Morrissey's history and approach towards communicating with his fans. The problem with social media "experts" is they think they're experts--they're not, I work with them every day for a living and the only thing special about them is that they have the account log-in passwords. Rarely do they have sound strategy.

This is the time for Morrissey to take control of his Twitter and Facebook accounts and just post abstract images from the tour. No need for text, just an image here and there of any backstage goings on. For f***'s sake, get Jesse to do it--he as an Instagram account. God knows he should do something useful this tour.

To be fair, the person using the Morrissey Twitter was actually pretending to be Morrissey, whereas whoever's behind the Official Facebook page blatantly isn't Morrissey and never tried to fool anybody into thinking otherwise. Yes, it's a terrible shame that Morrissey isn't getting behind the modern lucrative ways of endorsement (not that he's the only aging musician to be resilient to change), but you can't really blame him for getting annoyed when he found out that somebody was pretending to be him...
Agree.
Doesn't help when said facebook site encourages things:
"A rep has confirmed that this is indeed Morrissey Tweeting. Over on Morrissey's Facebook page, it says "https://twitter.com/itsmorrissey Feel free to reach out."
(Copied from David T's post re:twitter).
So there's a bit more to it.
But hey, all adds to the mystique even if not to the bank balance.
Regards,
FWD

I'm sure this will all be well forgotten after the next single is released. :p

Bad management

- - - Updated - - -

This whole Twatter fiasco will be 'Exhibit A' when Harvest defends themselves against Morrissey's claims that "Harvest Records just didn't want to promote the record--as all of my former record companies had failed to do in the past."

As rushed a job as it was (keen eyes will note that the Twitter/Facebook push didn't happen until the lack of social media presence was criticized here on Moz-soLow), you can't blame Harvest for not trying. Their two faults were 1) not getting old Misery's OK, and 2) not getting a social media agent familiar with Morrissey's history and approach towards communicating with his fans. The problem with social media "experts" is they think they're experts--they're not, I work with them every day for a living and the only thing special about them is that they have the account log-in passwords. Rarely do they have sound strategy.

This is the time for Morrissey to take control of his Twitter and Facebook accounts and just post abstract images from the tour. No need for text, just an image here and there of any backstage goings on. For f***'s sake, get Jesse to do it--he as an Instagram account. God knows he should do something useful this tour.

well said

good effort harvest its not your fault moz is a miserable killjoy

150,000 people followed him in a day based on two tweets, so much potential wasted again

*unfollows*

That's the funny thing about Morrissey. He is obsessed with chart placement and sales, his book clearly shows that as do his TTY updates. But then he bemoans record companies for it being their fault when things don't go his way. Yet as others said, when "he" joined twitter, I had people who aren't even fans messaging me saying "hey look, your man is on twitter now!" and linked me to some news story that was posted somewhere about it. It shows a chance for him to be on board with something that would give him more exposure and capitalise on it and aim for those higher chart placings he craves. Yet, he snubs it. Same with refusing to go the indie or kickstarter route and instead waiting for a record contract.

So, he is either completely and utterly ignorant of the power of DIY and social media, which seems unlikely. Or, it seems he is so unwilling to lift a finger and shoulder any blame when things don't go right that he feels he NEEDS a record company as a scape goat. DIY means when it fails, it is his fault - the publicity, the marketing, the band, the writing, the songs etc... he is so insecure it seems he can't handle that. Which is just ironic because, given his established status, DIY + personal hands on social media would probably result in a better outcome for his bank balance and charting. Maybe.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom