Harvest ends contract with Morrissey - TTY

Tolstoy...Freud....Otto Rank....and umpteen other intellectual and artistic giants thought about death every day...all the way to the end.

Wow, not only can you read Morrissey's mind but also the minds of people who died a hundred years before you were born.
Tolstoy was an artistic giant because he was interested in LIFE, not the morbid negation of it. Compare Tolstoy's political engagement to Morrissey's, you'll see a marked difference in depth.
The preoccupation with death in itself is a juvenile concern, primarily held by those who have the privilege of so much life in front of them, ie. teenagers.
Most of us grow out of that preoccupation when we realise the value of life.

It would be pointless having Rourke if they're going to have Joyce and Morrissey will NEVER work with Joyce and vice versa, so a PROPER Smiths reunion will never happen.
A Morrissey and Marr reunion, maybe.

rubbish the album isn't the problem. It was excellent

I agree with you there Smiler. The quality of the album had nothing to do with the arse falling out of the record contract. It is a fantastic record but I agree with Barleycorn on one thing: it is a great album for existing fans but probably wouldn't jump the gap to gain more fans, like Quarry did with its excellent singles and the massive Moz momentum which was nigh unstoppable. Moz should have promoted World Peace. He did the album a disservice by releasing it with a whimper. It deserved better treatment. It is like a beautiful but unwanted child thrust into the world at arms length. I don't know who or what is to blame for this.

Firstly, this song is utter shite.

Secondly, I doubt it's about his relationship with Marr. I'm sure he has met and fallen out with several people since 1987. It doesn't seem very likely he would pen a song about a partnership that broke down nearly 30 years ago and then have the temerity to ask his current band to play the music for it.

Of course, if you weren't insinuating the song is about Johnny Marr then fair enough.

Sir leads the troops,
Jealous of Youth

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's SoloLow's fault.

And f*** you davidt for posting an article that Morrissey lost his record deal. Always posting the bad news. What a douche
This came from TTY, morrissey wasn't bothered people know.

Last edited:
I agree with you there Smiler. The quality of the album had nothing to do with the arse falling out of the record contract. It is a fantastic record but I agree with Barleycorn on one thing: it is a great album for existing fans but probably wouldn't jump the gap to gain more fans, like Quarry did with its excellent singles and the massive Moz momentum which was nigh unstoppable. Moz should have promoted World Peace. He did the album a disservice by releasing it with a whimper. It deserved better treatment. It is like a beautiful but unwanted child thrust into the world at arms length. I don't know who or what is to blame for this.

If Harvest had released Staircase and Kiss Me A Lot as CD singles from the beginning, that gap could have been bridged, imo. Who decides what tracks get released as singles? WPINOYB is an excellent album. It is inching its way up there with YATQ in my esteem. Harvest dropped the ball here. Starting with the cloning faux pas, then the Twitter fiasco. Something was amiss early on.

Harvest bailed as soon as the album was out. They stopped updating Morrissey's Facebook page and Letters To Moz on July 17. Album was released just days before that, and it was already over. Who knows why? The bodyguard lawsuit and Hot Press interview only just happened, so that's not what stopped them. They may have overestimated Morrissey's popularity and assumed the album would do better commercially. Morrissey may have thought the same. Maybe they thought they could pull a Beyonce and release an album on iTunes with no publicity, but she is a media darling and he is a media curiosity/troublemaker/soundbite. He is known, but not as famous, and his music isn't all that graspable to the Top 40 crowd. Not saying that's a bad thing, artistically.

All this talk of a Smiths reunion, as if his solo career were just a really long detour and his ultimate career goal is a reunion with Marr, is insulting. I personally don't care for a Smiths reunion. I discovered Morrissey first through Viva Hate and Bona Drag, then heard The Smiths, and thought they were the same band (and here is where all the refined ears of pretentious farts can attack). I wasn't there from the beginning, so I'm not pining for something I may have missed. I don't think I missed anything by enjoying his solo career more than The Smiths.

If Harvest had released Staircase and Kiss Me A Lot as CD singles from the beginning, that gap could have been bridged, imo. Who decides what tracks get released as singles? WPINOYB is an excellent album. It is inching its way up there with YATQ in my esteem. Harvest dropped the ball here. Starting with the cloning faux pas, then the Twitter fiasco. Something was amiss early on.

CD singles???
Who buys CD singles now? No one sells CD singles anymore.

Wow, not only can you read Morrissey's mind but also the minds of people who died a hundred years before you were born.
Tolstoy was an artistic giant because he was interested in LIFE, not the morbid negation of it. Compare Tolstoy's political engagement to Morrissey's, you'll see a marked difference in depth.
The preoccupation with death in itself is a juvenile concern, primarily held by those who have the privilege of so much life in front of them, ie. teenagers.

Until we have an existentialist crisis midlife. Perhaps you aren't there yet. Teens and forties = preoccupation with death. The rest of the years = preoccupation with surviving and thriving.

Until we have an existentialist crisis midlife. Perhaps you aren't there yet. Teens and forties = preoccupation with death. The rest of the years = preoccupation with surviving and thriving.

Only teenagers and middle-class dullards with too much time on their hands have "existentialist crises".
It's a bourgeois affectation.

I'm not reading anyone's mind...I've read all of Tolstoy's work...Freud as well. Freud didn't die hundreds of years before I was born...less than 10 years.

Preoccupation with death is not a juvenile concern. You are here but a brief time....after that you are where? This is where religion, philosophy, psychoanalysis....and art come in.

You are gone from here a whole lot longer than you are here....so maybe we should give a little more importance and weight to that which we dread.

Most people are in denial of the whole process of death.....but it affects everything we do.

Is this the same anonymous I've been responding to?

CD singles???
Who buys CD singles now? No one sells CD singles anymore.

Nobody ever really bought them in the US. They were popular in the UK at one time. Well, if not CDs, don't you think if Staircase and Kiss Me A Lot were released as singles they may have gotten some radio play that would have introduced Moz's music to new fans? How about some videos for those two tracks as well--instead of the spoken word and fan created videos for his less catchy tunes?

Last edited:

Yeah...but man does not live by bread alone.

That's why we listen to Morrissey...right?

The one thing Harvest cannot get away with is the horrible cover art. How can professionals f*** up the Photoshop job so glaringly? Morrissey definitely has reason to be dissatisfied even if his actions didn't help. Although let's be honest the way they handled the "singles" gave Morrissey zero opportunity for radio airplay. How do you expect him to put on a smile and promote the hell out of an album that was definitely not done justice by the label? He would have been touring at least had health permitted.

You are gone from here a whole lot longer than you are here....

Yes, all the more reason not to waste your limited time here thinking about that which you can never comprehend.
Only the narcissism of privileged youth can ever think that death can be comprehended.
Most of us grow up and live.

Oh yes....Kiss Me A Lot as the first single to be taken out.....this song is just soooooooo good , IMHO.

Cheers Moz

Tags
harvestrecords morrissey moz no album viva hate

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom