Harvest ends contract with Morrissey - TTY

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2014 (read-only)' started by CrystalGeezer, Aug 10, 2014.

By CrystalGeezer on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM
  1. CrystalGeezer

CrystalGeezer My secret's my enzyme.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    1. Mozza220559
      Mozza220559
      Re: Harvest Ends Contract with Morrissey - TTY

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    2. Thewlis
      Thewlis

And no, this is not surprising in the least.
      The relationship between Moz and Harvest ended in June, as I've said before, with the record company's failure to get any of the 3 Moz-singles on the radio, or anywhere.
    3. sorrow of stamford bridge
      sorrow of stamford bridge

That's the crumb I'm clinging to, I hope it is still possible. There isn't another artist worth seeing.
    4. Eric Hartman
      Eric Hartman
      Nobody likes a bully.
    5. marred
      marred

This is great news. I have found this record company to be nothing but annoying from a fan's point of view. Every step they take and at every turn has made no sense whatsoever. They don't seem to have a PR department at all. Good riddance Harvest :)
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous

Well, things got off to a rough start with the whole Twitter account they set up, which Morrissey refused to be a part of. They started off on the wrong foot, and the relationship never really seemed to recover.
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous

Morrissey has burnt so many bridges now, that he only has two options left as a recording artist:
      1) accept a relatively low paying deal from a minor record company, back to the indie days of Rough Trade.
      2) Get back together with Marr and release a record as 'The Smiths'. That's the only way the majors will be interested in offering big bucks to Morrissey. As a solo artist he is a spent force. Not so much artisically - but commercially, which is all the majors care about.
    8. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny

Nail on head.
    9. 2-J
      2-J

Well said. Harvest probably had the contractual right to do this... almost every major artist on a major label, will be expected to do a certain minimal amount of promotion. I don't believe Harvest would have waived that in Morrissey's case.. and Morrissey barely did anything.
    10. Thewlis
      Thewlis

No, it was Harvest that messed things up with the fake Twitter-account and the non-promotion of the three 'singles'. After that, there was no way Moz was going to cooperate.
      On to something much bigger and better!
    11. Eric Hartman
      Eric Hartman

(#2 UK, #14 US)

Hahahahaha.
    12. bhops
      bhops
      Harvest have to shoulder some of the blame in the way they concocted the promo for this record. Morrissey must shoulder the majority of the blame though as he really did fuck all to promote this GREAT album. That's what make me so sad is this album felt like an artistic renaissance (I think his best in 20 years) and I was eagerly awaiting to see what came next, which we may not see for a long long time. Gutted but then again Mozzy has never been averse to shooting himself in the foot.
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous

There is no 'bigger and better' to come. Harvest was the best Morrissey could get, and after his failiure to work with Harvest, no other major is going to offer him a deal.
      Sure - I can accept there were things that he wasn't happy about - like the digital singles, and Twitter. But you work through those things by being professional, sucking it up, and doing your best to promote the album anyway - not dissapearing in a huff and refusing to do any promo like a spoilt child.
    14. marred
      marred

Or #3 Don't do 1 or 2.

Nail on head removed.
    15. Loretta Swit
      Loretta Swit

Exactly this. Even if he was too mentally and/or physically unwell to promote after Miami/Boston, as has been stated on here before: why was there no pre- or during-tour promo? (Besides the spoken word videos, but that clearly wasn't enough by itself.)

Very sad to read this, no matter the real reason. I assume the 7" singles are off, and most certainly the proposed tour dates. Retirement really seems like the most realistic option about now. :-(
    16. MozAngeles818
      MozAngeles818
      From the True To You statements, I wasn't surprised he was dropped. Just like he said that no one contacted him for performances, tv time, interviews...it's something his PR or Harvest's PR has to do to get him that air time.
      Yes, he is Morrissey, a big name per se, but I don't think big enough to have them call him.

Also, with him no longer in a label, I'm going to assume we aren't going to get those physical singles releases?
      LAME

EDIT: Would this affect the "repress" that people were talking about with the Hot Topic exclusive WPINOYB?
      Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    17. Mozza220559
      Mozza220559

Maybe he left because of the howling mistake with the clone stamp tool.
    18. Thewlis
      Thewlis

No, no, no! Well, yes, the 7 inches are off, but the tour WILL go ahead and he WILL NOT retire.
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Morrissey is going to reform the Smiths and make a stab at Harvest.

Probably extend a chapter on his auto pt. 2 about this label.

And make a song about this and the court problem.

Man he has an arsenal of song material. Hopefully he puts it into good use.

:)
    20. Viva Mozza
      Viva Mozza

Exactly this!!!