Happy Birthday Mike Joyce!

Well he has drummed for Sinead O'Conner, Buzzcocks, Public Image Limited, Pete Wylie and Julian Cope. Oh, and Morrissey too on 'Playboys' and 'Interesting Drug'. You call that struggling?
Surely they all couldn't have been wrong?:confused:

fair point. but (I think) that was pretty much all in the late 80's and early/mid 90's. in the last 10 years, he seems to have done very little of note. I guess he's had the £1 million off Marr and Moz to play with so maybe not so bothered about high-profile stuff anymore...

Well he has drummed for Sinead O'Conner, Buzzcocks, Public Image Limited, Pete Wylie and Julian Cope. Oh, and Morrissey too on 'Playboys' and 'Interesting Drug'. You call that struggling?
Surely they all couldn't have been wrong?:confused:

He was also Suede's drummer till he left to tour with the Buzzcocks and played with Badly Drawn Boy so he' s got a pretty decent resume.

Besides Johnny, what has anyone who has played along side Moz done of significance after they left?

He was also Suede's drummer till he left to tour with the Buzzcocks and played with Badly Drawn Boy so he' s got a pretty decent resume.

you sure about that? I recall he applied to drum for Suede but never got the gig and Andy Rourke played with BDB but not Mike:confused:

you sure about that? I recall he applied to drum for Suede but never got the gig and Andy Rourke played with BDB but not Mike:confused:

Yes he did very briefly - from MTV.com - its talked talked about more in the Suede bio "love in passion" which I don't have in front of me..

"Suede placed an advertisement for a drummer, and former Smiths member Mike Joyce responded. Joyce appeared on the group's debut single for RML, "Be My God"/"Art."

I read an interview with BDB about MJ playing with him but I'm not an expert on BDB..

fair point. but (I think) that was pretty much all in the late 80's and early/mid 90's. in the last 10 years, he seems to have done very little of note. I guess he's had the £1 million off Marr and Moz to play with so maybe not so bothered about high-profile stuff anymore...

I think you are being a little harsh here, the £1m has little to do with it. 10 years ago Mike was aged 35.
What were the drummers of The Jam / The Specials / The Clash / etc etc doing 10 years after their respective bands broke up?
Mike was fortunate to be able to play with the bands I mentioned before but it is obvious they are all (with the exception of Sinead O' Conner) late 70's / early 80's bands. Therefore at the age of 35+ he is unlikely to get gigs with 'younger' bands, therefore the high profile stuff will not be forthcoming - not based on ability, but age.

Yes he did very briefly - from MTV.com - its talked talked about more in the Suede bio "love in passion" which I don't have in front of me..

"Suede placed an advertisement for a drummer, and former Smiths member Mike Joyce responded. Joyce appeared on the group's debut single for RML, "Be My God"/"Art."

I read an interview with BDB about MJ playing with him but I'm not an expert on BDB..

Yes, checked on the Suede thing and he did drum on their first single. You learn something everyday!
Still not convinced about the BDB thing though - but happy to be proved wrong;)

buck_thumbs_up.jpg

YAY! One less year to wait until you're dead you despicable c***!

Well what did you expect from me? Just drop the law suit and we can forget the whole thing. Why bite the hand that made you incredibly famous? Where's your dignity? Oh yeah, and happy birthday. P.S. I want to love you darling but I can't, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Yes, checked on the Suede thing and he did drum on their first single. You learn something everyday!
Still not convinced about the BDB thing though - but happy to be proved wrong;)

I just found the quote from BDB I was looking for and you are right, he only mentions Andy in his band..my bad

He's old enough to earn his own way now and stop trying to get Morrissey's money.

I know it's not nice to slag someone off on their birthday but...that was yesterday, so never mind! Good old Mozzles, he's such a catty old thing but as ever so true it hurts. I love it when he says 'lives beyond his means', that is so 1970's.

The point I wish to make is this: Joyce is not poor, unless, living as he does in the Cheshire green-belt, he lives beyond his means. Somehow, he appears to believe that he should have equal financial status to both myself and to Johnny Marr, even though Joyce has done dramatically less than Johnny and I to attain the positions we now have.

Joyce is not poor because of one reason - me. His career now is the fictitious position of an unpaid ex-member of the Smiths. He has also pursued all of his claims on Legal Aid.

I don't make this statement in search of sympathy from anyone, but I wish that the people at MorrisseySoLow who support Joyce would at least get their facts right before they say anything. Even with his 10% share, Joyce was wealthy. Now, he is extremely wealthy.

What more does he want?

Back
Top Bottom