Hamish Hawk In @ #55 on official charts

terrancestamp

I know I keep going on and on and on and on and on but I think my pestering of everyone has paid off!

My faith in the British people has been restored!!

I don't know how influential you've been with the British public, but you brought this musician onto my radar when you posted his cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. I'm very grateful for that, because I'm old and don't pay attention to new music, and Spotify tends to recommend me duds. Easily my favorite of the current crop of artists. I do like the new album, but I think it's just a slight notch below the quality of Heavy Elevator.

I don't know how influential you've been with the British public, but you brought this musician onto my radar when you posted his cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. I'm very grateful for that, because I'm old and don't pay attention to new music, and Spotify tends to recommend me duds. Easily my favorite of the current crop of artists. I do like the new album, but I think it's just a slight notch below the quality of Heavy Elevator.
So glad that I could turn you on to Hamish. He is the most exciting new artist I have heard in years. Thank you for being so gentle with my delusions of grandeur! Yes, the record is only slightly an elevation of the previous. More great things to come from him. "Once Upon an Acid Glance" is my favorite from the new offering.

I've been followed Mr Hawk for a year or so now but only recently bought his first album.
It's a patchy affair but there are some beauties on there.
Some really thoughtful reflections on issues such as mortality, religion and modern life.
A bit like what someone else used to do rather well!

I've been followed Mr Hawk for a year or so now but only recently bought his first album.
It's a patchy affair but there are some beauties on there.
Some really thoughtful reflections on issues such as mortality, religion and modern life.
A bit like what someone else used to do rather well!
100% you are correct, sir

I know I keep going on and on and on and on and on but I think my pestering of everyone has paid off!

My faith in the British people has been restored!!

Any thoughts on the new album, Terrence?
I'm really enjoying Heavy Elevator (which I only bought a few weeks ago) but am struggling with the new one.
Also, with the Badminton Doubles Champion song, any idea who is 'Jim Dear'?

Any thoughts on the new album, Terrence?
I'm really enjoying Heavy Elevator (which I only bought a few weeks ago) but am struggling with the new one.
Sorry Mike, I just saw this. Wish I would have seen it before jetting off to SXSW. I would have asked him in person! Saw two brilliant shows over that weekend from Hamish. Highlights for me on this new album are...

Angel Numbers
Thinking Of Us Kissing
Elvis Look-alike Shadows
Bridget St. John
Money
Rest & Veneers

Attachments

• Hamish set list.jpg
    Hamish set list.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

I wondered this myself. Maybe it’s something esoteric, but the best I could surmise is simply that Hamish is the Scottish variant of James.

I wondered this myself. Maybe it’s something esoteric, but the best I could surmise is simply that Hamish is the Scottish variant of James.
Ah, nice theory.
In fact, I've just Googled it and here's what I found.
"Hamish is a Scottish masculine given name. It is the anglicized form of the vocative case of the Gaelic name Seamus or Sheumais. It is therefore, the equivalent of James."
Feel more comfortable singing along with it now!

Some fantastic lyrics, I really like both his albums and would recommend

Yes, he writes really good lyrics (Spotify has three albums, by the way) and this is an interesting live performance. The sound quality is good and he has some awkward mannerisms. The eye-popping grin and the hand gestures sort of remind me of an excited kindergarten teacher trying to encourage children during a sing-along. It's an unselfconsciousness that recalls the early Morrissey. But I listened to an interview with him once and, sad to say, it was pretty boring.

Mauritian Badminton is a great song - probably in my top 10 of the 2020s so far.
The albums have been quite patchy though. I'd give the first one 7/10 and the second 5 or 6.
The best 4 or 5 songs from each one would make an excellent album though.

Back
Top Bottom