Guitar World: "Dave Keuning on Johnny Marr’s enduring influence: “We talked about countless Smiths songs in the early Killers days”" (May 5, 2022)

He seems like a pompous douche. Don't know anything about their music and have zero interest in wanting too.

It's funny that Johnny should be compared to The Edge, since Edge seems to know his place, didn't break up U2 and seems to realize Bono is the front man and the band, he never tries to compete with him. If Edge acted like Johnny, U2 would have only lasted 5 years too, yet they have been together for over 40, how do they do it? Edge has always gotten loads of accolades, but he is not a conceited retard, so it doesn't go to his head. I've seen him in interviews, he is much more personable and likeable than Johnny, he's not sitting there constantly trying to tell you how brilliant he is and name dropping; he's not insecure, which I think it a real problem for Johnny.

I don't like The Killers at all, I hate Mr. Brightside and it's video - and I think it would be torture to see them live. I felt like my car radio was personally attacking me whenever a Killers song came on.

As for the Brandon Flowers article, what a tool: STOP SINGING MOZ'S WORDS! What is Johnny being blamed for? There are so many people who work with Morrissey or have worked with Morrissey who will confront the topic head on and unequivocally say he is NOT a racist. But Johnny and the Johnny adjacents have to keep this going because they can only dream about having fraction of the talent Morrissey has. What absolutely cowardly losers.

Try learning the words, wannabe

Johnny has never been able to duplicate what he did in The Smiths, he can't seem to play like that, even when I have seen him live. I wonder why.

Why is it every time Johnny Marr is mentioned, you need to add your negative, ignorant take on things? The Edge and Johnny Marr have a mutual admiration society going since playing together on tour in 1987. Johnny was a recent guest on the Edge's podcast Close to the Edge where they were very complimentary to each other.

And Johnny Marr is mentioned on this site often because he is interesting, has many accomplishments and therefore does a lot of press. Morrissey should hire Johnny's PR person.

Why is it every time Johnny Marr is mentioned, you need to add your negative, ignorant take on things? The Edge and Johnny Marr have a mutual admiration society going since playing together on tour in 1987. Johnny was a recent guest on the Edge's podcast Close to the Edge where they were very complimentary to each other.

And Johnny Marr is mentioned on this site often because he is interesting, has many accomplishments and therefore does a lot of press. Morrissey should hire Johnny's PR person.
If you are too immature to be on a site where you cannot tolerate negative opinions about Marr and have to throw a hissy everytime I post, then just leave. No one makes you come here, no one makes you read my posts. I have told you this often yet you persist in this insanity of trying to confront me every time - it won't change anything. You are not a moderator or the owner of the site and I am not breaking the rules by posting my opinions. Report me if you think I broke a rule, but your constant whining at me will change exactly nothing.
I don't care if Johnny and Edge have drunken wild sex and whisper sweet nothings to each other, it has nothing to do with the point I am making regarding how Johnny and Edge have conducted themselves in the bands that made them famous. I responded to articles posted in this thread with things that are on point, as did other people, you may want to try it, post your own opinion without attacking someone else - but y0u can't because you have the intellect and emotional control of a toddler. You lose.
My opinion remains the same - Marr is a relentless douchebag, The Killers suck and Brandon Flowers should just stop singing Morrissey's words, or at least learn them if he is going to attempt to sing them.

Last edited:
I don't know why this website still is called Morrissey Solo when it has so many news about Johnny Marr...
been saying this for years.you will never get an article about rourke or joyce on the main page.

'is interesting' is pushing it. Even interviewers don't find him sufficiently interesting, that's why they always bring up Morrissey.

'is interesting' is pushing it. Even interviewers don't find him sufficiently interesting, that's why they always bring up Morrissey.
I think that tendency speaks more of the interviewers, than the interviewee.

True, but a "Johnny Marr-solo" site would be a colossal bore. Its forum would probably have a dozen members and no arguments. Except for his veganism, which he does not usually make a show of confronting people with, his opinions are dull and uncontroversial. But, boy, could he play guitar.
Excellent guitarist nor has he never been a puppet for fascist bigots.

Excellent guitarist nor has he never been a puppet for fascist bigots.

True on both counts. Still, boring and non-confrontational, mostly. Does anyone look forward to a Johnny Marr interview the way they look forward to a Morrissey interview? Is there anyone who, if they had to choose between which of the two to take on a desert island, the Johnny Marr solo discography or the Morrissey solo discography, would chose the former? Even Angie Marr would probably not.

I have never been able to hear DNA of The Smiths in The Killers. Hot Fuss sounds like The Romantics occasionally trying to be The Cure at their most poptastic. I saw them support Moz and was underwhelmed. I presumed they would disappear after "the difficult second album" but they evolved into a god awful All That You Can't Leave Behind era Dollar General version of Bono and his biscuits.

I'll give the most recent one a listen, then. The last one I listened to was Wonderful Wonderful. That's a terrible title for an album, and the music on it was terrible as well. Almost as terrible as Brandon Flowers' solo material.

Yeah, his solo album was really awful and 'Wonderful Wonderful' just as bad.
The last Killers album is very good, give it a listen, it's a very moody album, it doesn't sound like Hot Fuzz at all, don't expect that type of sound, very very different but most of the songs are very good and there's some great lyrics on it. 'Quiet Town' for example is a wonderful song, one of the best they've written.

Fairly recently, Flowers said he wouldn't allow his children to listen to Morrissey, or something like that. Here is my source.

Anyway, Brandon Flowers owes a lot to The Smiths--but seemingly copied Duran Duran (at their worst, in my opinion).
Is your soy latte always half empty ya big Nancy? The Killers like the Smiths took their influences and made them their own. If you are hearing Duran Duran you should re-listen or get your ears checked.

It's funny that Johnny should be compared to The Edge, since Edge seems to know his place, didn't break up U2 and seems to realize Bono is the front man and the band, he never tries to compete with him. If Edge acted like Johnny, U2 would have only lasted 5 years too, yet they have been together for over 40, how do they do it? Edge has always gotten loads of accolades, but he is not a conceited retard, so it doesn't go to his head. I've seen him in interviews, he is much more personable and likeable than Johnny, he's not sitting there constantly trying to tell you how brilliant he is and name dropping; he's not insecure, which I think it a real problem for Johnny.

I don't like The Killers at all, I hate Mr. Brightside and it's video - and I think it would be torture to see them live. I felt like my car radio was personally attacking me whenever a Killers song came on.

As for the Brandon Flowers article, what a tool: STOP SINGING MOZ'S WORDS! What is Johnny being blamed for? There are so many people who work with Morrissey or have worked with Morrissey who will confront the topic head on and unequivocally say he is NOT a racist. But Johnny and the Johnny adjacents have to keep this going because they can only dream about having fraction of the talent Morrissey has. What absolutely cowardly losers.

Try learning the words, wannabe

Johnny has never been able to duplicate what he did in The Smiths, he can't seem to play like that, even when I have seen him live. I wonder why.

Boo freaking who. You Moz-bot muppets always say the same dumb shit. The Killers are fantastic so just eat a fatty ya fatty.

I know they'll find some detractors here, but I've loved the Killers from the start and first saw them live when they opened for Moz at the Wiltern. Thoroughly enjoyed them live many times since, and can't wait to see them, and Marr open, at MSG in Oct.
When I first heard The Killers (circa early aughts) I suspected they were a band who were influenced by some of the bands who put out the anthems of my lost youth. I’d hear certain Killers songs, and The Smiths, Squeeze or Aztec Camera would come to mind. In fact, I’ve always insisted that their song, “Change Your Mind” was just a well produced karaoke cover of a lost Smiths B-Side or Peel Session; straight from the get I hear a Johnny Marr guitar intro and an earnest crooning of Morrissey from Brandon Flowers. It’s never not sounded like a Smiths song to me.

Perhaps it’s just me. Yep, it’s probably just me.

Boo freaking who. You Moz-bot muppets always say the same dumb shit. The Killers are fantastic so just eat a fatty ya fatty.
I would like to thank the moderator who approved this off topic personal attack, because we have such high standards here. Actually this selective moderating is pathetic.

I would like to thank the moderator who approved this off topic personal attack, because we have such high standards here. Actually this selective moderating is pathetic.
How exactly is that a personal attack? These twats are always calling anyone defending Morrissey a moz bot. You gotta get used to it cause it's pretty much their go to insult as far as I can see. I did hold out for a more original insult but it never came so this is as good as it gets I'm afraid.

How exactly is that a personal attack? These twats are always calling anyone defending Morrissey a moz bot. You gotta get used to it cause it's pretty much their go to insult as far as I can see. I did hold out for a more original insult but it never came so this is as good as it gets I'm afraid.
I am used to it but its not supposed to be allowed in the main threads and its not on topic. Eat a fatty could mean a number of things.

I love The Killers... obvi.. my tag was "human or dancer" on here for a stitch, but I disagree with BF and his stance regarding M and not letting his children listen to his art. Ridiculous. Plus, he's a damned Mormon, which has its own level of intense weirdness for me...:flushed: But, The Killers are really the only band that has achieved the level of intense, large-scale awe that U2 has for me (at a venue with literally 5% of the capacity). They really do put on an amazing live show! But their influences, whether it's The Smiths, or U2, or Elvis, or The Pet Shop Boys, or whomever, all loom largely.

Their early stuff is "fun," but Battle Born is an incredible album. For me, the lyrics always come before the music. Same for The Smiths – same for The Killers. Probably because I'm an English major and not a guitarist. All this to say...I dunno, blah blah blah, Johnny Marr, I appreciate you, but I'm over it. 🤷‍♀️ Also, see you in Nashville opening for The Killers.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom