Guitar World: "Dave Keuning on Johnny Marr’s enduring influence: “We talked about countless Smiths songs in the early Killers days”" (May 5, 2022)

🦗🦗🦗

I know they'll find some detractors here, but I've loved the Killers from the start and first saw them live when they opened for Moz at the Wiltern. Thoroughly enjoyed them live many times since, and can't wait to see them, and Marr open, at MSG in Oct.

Are The Killers the most overrated band in existence? They're surely contenders.

Quite liked their cover of Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself, if only for the idea of covering that song.

I know they'll find some detractors here, but I've loved the Killers from the start and first saw them live when they opened for Moz at the Wiltern. Thoroughly enjoyed them live many times since, and can't wait to see them, and Marr open, at MSG in Oct.
As far as American guitar bands go, they are way ahead of the pack. They do have a healthy appreciation for the Smiths. I’ll be seeing them with Marr as well on the West coast.

I thought Hot Fuss was an excellent debut album, but everything since has been overly tinged with either dramatic All-American Springsteen gusto, or dancey-cutesy keyboards. The guitars on the first record sounded more like U2, and the synth stylings were more tasteful. Even the vocals changed. He probably sounds more like himself on the albums after Hot Fuss, but on that one there was the hint of a Morrissey imitator (not too overt, though; not like Martin Rossiter. The right amount of restraint).

The Killers are zero, they are bad. No sane musician rates them.
Who fxxking cares they ripped off Johnny's riffs,

I thought Hot Fuss was an excellent debut album, but everything since has been overly tinged with either dramatic All-American Springsteen gusto, or dancey-cutesy keyboards. The guitars on the first record sounded more like U2, and the synth stylings were more tasteful. Even the vocals changed. He probably sounds more like himself on the albums after Hot Fuss, but on that one there was the hint of a Morrissey imitator (not too overt, though; not like Martin Rossiter. The right amount of restraint).

First album was great, the last one was surprisingly good as well but everything else with the exception of the second album, which has a few very good songs on it, was really dull, poor writing and way too many keyboards.

First album was great, the last one was surprisingly good as well but everything else with the exception of the second album, which has a few very good songs on it, was really dull, poor writing and way too many keyboards.

I'll give the most recent one a listen, then. The last one I listened to was Wonderful Wonderful. That's a terrible title for an album, and the music on it was terrible as well. Almost as terrible as Brandon Flowers' solo material.

Brandon Flowers, who is awful, had a lot of negative things to say about Morrissey... as if he had 1/1000 of Morrissey's genius and originality. The Killers' lyrics are notoriously awful. Try listening to "Somebody Told Me."

Brandon Flowers, who is awful, had a lot of negative things to say about Morrissey... as if he had 1/1000 of Morrissey's genius and originality. The Killers' lyrics are notoriously awful. Try listening to "Somebody Told Me."

I thought Brandon Flowers was continuing to defend Morrissey long past when the mob had come for him. The internet tells me he was saying "Morrissey is still a king" as recently as 2019. It's possible that he likes Morrissey now more than ever, given the pronounced dance-pop element in Morrissey's music over the last five years.

Enjoyed Hot Fuss but not been keen on anything after that. Seen them live in 2008 and at a couple of festivals and each time they were excellent.

I thought Brandon Flowers was continuing to defend Morrissey long past when the mob had come for him. The internet tells me he was saying "Morrissey is still a king" as recently as 2019. It's possible that he likes Morrissey now more than ever, given the pronounced dance-pop element in Morrissey's music over the last five years.
Fairly recently, Flowers said he wouldn't allow his children to listen to Morrissey, or something like that. Here is my source.

Anyway, Brandon Flowers owes a lot to The Smiths--but seemingly copied Duran Duran (at their worst, in my opinion).

l
loved early killers,indie rock n roll is probably my favourite song of theirs.

Are The Killers the most overrated band in existence? They're surely contenders.
They nose dived artistically after their first album Hot Fuss. The second album Sam's Town was just about OK but I think all subsequent albums have become progressively generic middle of the road rubbish.

I don't know why this website still is called Morrissey Solo when it has so many news about Johnny Marr...

True, but a "Johnny Marr-solo" site would be a colossal bore. Its forum would probably have a dozen members and no arguments. Except for his veganism, which he does not usually make a show of confronting people with, his opinions are dull and uncontroversial. But, boy, could he play guitar.

It's funny that Johnny should be compared to The Edge, since Edge seems to know his place, didn't break up U2 and seems to realize Bono is the front man and the band, he never tries to compete with him. If Edge acted like Johnny, U2 would have only lasted 5 years too, yet they have been together for over 40, how do they do it? Edge has always gotten loads of accolades, but he is not a conceited retard, so it doesn't go to his head. I've seen him in interviews, he is much more personable and likeable than Johnny, he's not sitting there constantly trying to tell you how brilliant he is and name dropping; he's not insecure, which I think it a real problem for Johnny.

I don't like The Killers at all, I hate Mr. Brightside and it's video - and I think it would be torture to see them live. I felt like my car radio was personally attacking me whenever a Killers song came on.

As for the Brandon Flowers article, what a tool: STOP SINGING MOZ'S WORDS! What is Johnny being blamed for? There are so many people who work with Morrissey or have worked with Morrissey who will confront the topic head on and unequivocally say he is NOT a racist. But Johnny and the Johnny adjacents have to keep this going because they can only dream about having fraction of the talent Morrissey has. What absolutely cowardly losers.

Try learning the words, wannabe

Johnny has never been able to duplicate what he did in The Smiths, he can't seem to play like that, even when I have seen him live. I wonder why.

Last edited:
Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom