Guardian profile of Simon Armitage - includes Morrissey mentions (April 8, 2023)

The Guardian has a long profile of / interview with the poet Simon Armitage, and of course Morrissey comes up.

Relevant sections below:

In 2010, the Guardian commissioned him to interview his then hero, Morrissey, the controversial solo artist and former frontman of the Smiths. It was a memorable interview, not least because Morrissey described the Chinese as a “subspecies” in reference to their treatment of animals. It provided Armitage with a great scoop, but he shudders when asked about the interview and says he’d prefer not to talk about it.
The Guardian had effectively sent a poet to interview a poet. Photographs were taken of the two nose to nose. But Morrissey wasn’t having any of it. He refused to allow the photos to be used, and there was a reshoot with Morrissey wearing a cat on his head instead. The pop star treated the poet with contempt. It was disillusioning for Armitage, at best.

and, right near the end:

If I need to check stuff with you, I say, how do I get in touch. He starts to spell out his email. Have you got a phone number? “Er, no,” he says. Then he remembers his phone, propped up in the breast of his coat like a pocket square. “I never answer the phone anyway, so there’s no point in ringing me.” As Morrissey did with him, he makes it clear that this has not been a meeting of equals. In the very next sentence he returns to his meeting with the musician that left him feeling so diminished all those years ago. “When I interviewed Morrissey, right at the end he said, ‘Have you got one last question and you better make it a good one?’ And I said, ‘Can you drive?’ And he said to me, ‘D’you think that’s a good question?’ So erm, what’s your last question, Simon, because I’m going home? I can drive by the way.”
I ask a question half-heartedly, and the answer doesn’t register. I’m thinking about what he said about his father – his humour, his hospitality, his warmth. I imagine I would have liked his dad very much.

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not very impressed with Armitage as a supposed fan of The Smiths, or even as a bright person. I've probably said this before but when he intervied Marr for BBC Radio 4 in July 2021, Marr starts to play Half A Person and Simon asks 'Call me lazy, call me shy, is it?', when any serious fan knows that the opening line is 'Call me morbid, call me pale', and the line is even repeated twice later in the song. The interview's on YouTube if anyone's interested.

I'm not very impressed with Armitage as a supposed fan of The Smiths, or even as a bright person. I've probably said this before but when he intervied Marr for BBC Radio 4 in July 2021, Marr starts to play Half A Person and Simon asks 'Call me lazy, call me shy, is it?', when any serious fan knows that the opening line is 'Call me morbid, call me pale', and the line is even repeated twice later in the song. The interview's on YouTube if anyone's interested.
I forgot to say that, when interviewing Marr, Simon recalls his Morrissey interview and says that, when he assured M that he was genuinely interested in whether or not he was able to drive, M asks 'Why? Do you think it's because I'm incapable of handling large pieces of machinery?' He seems to find it amusing rather than uncomfortable as suggested by this new Guardian interview.

Doesn’t come across as a very likeable man. Why would you agree to give an interview if you were as ‘knackered’ and ill-tempered as this?

they said M made the sub-species comment because of the treatment of animals,did they say this before or have they changed their tune.
im surprised he even had anything to do with the guardian, an outlet which has put out over 500 negative stories about him.

Last edited:
Weren't ever aware of this guy Simon.
Yeah, I heard that stuff Moz said about the sub-species, but
I never knew that it came from an interview with this guy.
I looked up a couple of Simon's poems.

The Unaccompanied

Wandering slowly back after dark one night
above a river, toward a suspension bridge,
a sound concerns him that might be a tune
or might not: noise drifting in, trailing off.

Then concerns him again, now clearly a song
pulsing out from the opposite bank, being sung
by chorusing men, all pewter-haired or bald,
in the function suite of a shabby hotel.
Above their heads a conductor’s hand
draws and casts the notes with a white wand.

Songs about mills and mines and a great war,
about mermaid brides and solid gold hills,
songs from broken hymnbooks and cheesy films.

Then his father’s voice rising out of that choir,
and his father’s father’s voice, and voices
of fathers before, concerning him only,
arcing through charged air and spanning the gorge.
He steps over the cliff edge and walks across.

- Simon A.

they said M made the sub-species comment because of the treatment of animals,did they say this before or have they changed their tune.
im surprised he even had anything to do with the guardian, an outlet which has put out over 500 negative stories about him.
The bit about animals was included in the article but it gets missed by everyone else when they try to quote Morrissey, just leaving it at the “chinese are a sub-species” with no further explanation.

Morrissey has said a lot of shit but I do think he explained himself at the time with this quote, it was part of the same sentence yet most people skip the “when it comes to the treatment of animals” section of the sentence.

If Moz had said that the way animals are treated in China is 'inhuman' would anyone have batted an eyelid? Effectively the same thing.
Armitage accepted a CBE in 2010 - Commander of the British Empire - and since 2019 has been the UK monarch's poet laureate. Don't know if that quite sets him up to take the moral high ground on the subject of human equality.

The original interview with Moz is actually quite a good read. It's clear that the two of them just didn't 'click' - and there are some sour grapes about that on Armitage's part. Awkward is never nice. He was clearly slightly smitten by being in the presence of his hero - but he also seems rather keen to point out what might be seen as character flaws on Moz's part, or perhaps he too was nervous and was just hiding behind a role. We all wear masks, after all. There is no anger quite like the anger of the disciple who has lost his master. Step forward, Uncle Skinny.
The most shocking thing about the original interview is that Moz likes orange Fanta!

A Guardian interview some years prior to this, where the journalist is cautioned not to raise the issue of ‘the court case’ (in the end Morrissey brings it up himself), seemed a bit frosty.

I think Morrissey’s initial contention was with the paper rather than Armitage. But the whole smug conceit—of sending a poet to interview Morrissey—probably riled him prior to the event.

The funniest thing was Armitage handing Morrissey a book; then Morrissey shakes out the concealed CD ‘gift’ of the former reading his own work (I think). ‘Is this yours?’ says Morrissey as he hands it back.

The rest is history: Armitage scurries to The Queen, to try and recover some parity.

Did anyone really think that The Guardian was going to publish something remotely positive about Morrissey? His name will only be brought up when they can portray him in a negative way or else they will just ignore his very existence.

The Guardian has a long profile of / interview with the poet Simon Armitage, and of course Morrissey comes up.

Relevant sections below:

In 2010, the Guardian commissioned him to interview his then hero, Morrissey, the controversial solo artist and former frontman of the Smiths. It was a memorable interview, not least because Morrissey described the Chinese as a “subspecies” in reference to their treatment of animals. It provided Armitage with a great scoop, but he shudders when asked about the interview and says he’d prefer not to talk about it.
The Guardian had effectively sent a poet to interview a poet. Photographs were taken of the two nose to nose. But Morrissey wasn’t having any of it. He refused to allow the photos to be used, and there was a reshoot with Morrissey wearing a cat on his head instead. The pop star treated the poet with contempt. It was disillusioning for Armitage, at best.

and, right near the end:

If I need to check stuff with you, I say, how do I get in touch. He starts to spell out his email. Have you got a phone number? “Er, no,” he says. Then he remembers his phone, propped up in the breast of his coat like a pocket square. “I never answer the phone anyway, so there’s no point in ringing me.” As Morrissey did with him, he makes it clear that this has not been a meeting of equals. In the very next sentence he returns to his meeting with the musician that left him feeling so diminished all those years ago. “When I interviewed Morrissey, right at the end he said, ‘Have you got one last question and you better make it a good one?’ And I said, ‘Can you drive?’ And he said to me, ‘D’you think that’s a good question?’ So erm, what’s your last question, Simon, because I’m going home? I can drive by the way.”
I ask a question half-heartedly, and the answer doesn’t register. I’m thinking about what he said about his father – his humour, his hospitality, his warmth. I imagine I would have liked his dad very much.

full

Related item:
Armitage is a heck of a poet. Probably best known for his modern translations of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Death of Arthur. No need to dismiss somebody b/c you never heard of them - but maybe that's a very Morrissey thing to do, isn't it?

Out of context, some of the second excerpt that sounds like it's Morrissey talking, is actually Simon Armitage talking. Also, for instance, when I read only the excerpt, I thought the phone was in Morrissey's pocket, but it's in Simon's. This is made more confusing because Simon (Armitage) at one point addresses Simon (Hattenstone), the interviewer, by his first name. I say this because, reading the excerpt only, and mistaking much of what referred to Simon Armitage as referring to Morrissey, I thought, "Oh no, another case of Morrissey acting like a dick." Then I read the article itself.

Context is important, folks. Etc.

The funniest thing was Armitage handing Morrissey a book; then Morrissey shakes out the concealed CD ‘gift’ of the former reading his own work (I think). ‘Is this yours?’ says Morrissey as he hands it back.
Bwahahaha! God, that's hysterical. No wonder Armitage is still sore about it.

Out of context, some of the second excerpt that sounds like it's Morrissey talking, is actually Simon Armitage talking. Also, for instance, when I read only the excerpt, I thought the phone was in Morrissey's pocket, but it's in Simon's. This is made more confusing because Simon (Armitage) at one point addresses Simon (Hattenstone), the interviewer, by his first name. I say this because, reading the excerpt only, and mistaking much of what referred to Simon Armitage as referring to Morrissey, I thought, "Oh no, another case of Morrissey acting like a dick." Then I read the article itself.

Me too, I didn't spot that the interviewer's name was also Simon at first. So funny though. "I haven't got a number" with the phone sticking out of his pocket, then doubling down with "I never answer anyway". Armitage and Moz could be grouchy twins.

Armitage is a heck of a poet. Probably best known for his modern translations of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Death of Arthur.

No need to dismiss somebody b/c you never heard of them - but maybe that's a very Morrissey thing to do, isn't it?

as if M never championed the obscure.

Relevant sections below:

and, right near the end:

full

Related item:
I used to like his poetry but I read this blog post a FB friend did about the media attack on M and he touched on this guy
He seems gross . Very typical of a certain lefty type in the UK
Like Dave Haslam, Billy Bragg and the singer from Gene ( who's ex wife posted about him being seriously abusive )
He really did a number on M.
They knew he wasn't being racist but look how often the sub specie's thing comes up . Shocking

Actually there was a conversation I saw with Ally Cat and James Maker on FB . It was very funny .
Let me see if I can find the screen shot .

I will be back

Totally agree .

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom