Guardian has been refused copy of "California Son" for review

You’re kidding yourself if you think the amount of money The Guardian makes off of Morrissey is anything north of negligible. This is about one thing and one thing only: Morrissey’s refusal to accept a potentially negative review. He’s like every other hypocritical “freedom of speech advocate.” He wants to be able to talk about whatever he wants without consequence, while no one should be allowed to talk about him beyond the pre-approved Fiona Dodwells.

You’re kidding yourself if you think the amount of money The Guardian makes off of Morrissey is anything north of negligible. This is about one thing and one thing only: Morrissey’s refusal to accept a potentially negative review. He’s like every other hypocritical “freedom of speech advocate.” He wants to be able to talk about whatever he wants without consequence, while no one should be allowed to talk about him beyond the pre-approved Fiona Dodwells.

Its not like he can stop them from reviewing his record anymore than he can stop them from commenting on him. That said he doesn’t owe them a record In advance in the name of free speech. He might not like a negative review but I think he’d accept one, with grumbling of course, if it had to do with the record only. The British music press, unlike a lot of its other press, is weirdly skewed at times. I remember the whole deal around the first baby shambles record and found it odd. I think the guardian has a overzealousness when it comes to Morrissey (and some of there book reviews to) that’s just less objective than I like which is a shame because there investigative news is pretty excellent

you click on the Guardian and the first thing you get from those loon twats is the asking for charity.:lbf:
how nobody gets paid they work for free there, so please help us at the very least feed the employees in the afternoon.:lbf:

yes they have a huge circulation:laughing:

you go to their offices and they have cups everywhere like Church to drop coins in them.:censored:

have one of the employees go rob a copy, place is full of delinquents and pick pockets.:bow:

sorry but Guardian sucks :elephant: :baseball::baseball:
:lbf:

You’re kidding yourself if you think the amount of money The Guardian makes off of Morrissey is anything north of negligible. This is about one thing and one thing only: Morrissey’s refusal to accept a potentially negative review.

Sure it is about trying to avoid a bad review... which is what probably ANY sane person who is an artist of any kind would try to do.
I think it was William Burroughs the one who wrote that the intention of a bad review is not inducing a reader to have a bad opinion about a book, but inducing a potential reader of the book to avoid reading it.
I don't think ANY artist of any kind would send an advanced copy of whatever he does to a journalist who would probably do his best to decrease the sales. So he is not even trying to be clever, he is simply doing what any person with some common sense would do.

I reckon I love how The California Son constantly shits on foreigners and they always come back for more. I reckon he is such an American Idol mate inn nnn n nnnnn n nnnn nnn n it.

Morr American Idol.jpg

A promotional copy of a release is generally offered to an outlet that can be trusted to provide an honest (but not necessarily glowing) appraisal of the work to enlighten the public.

Morrissey may very well know when he gets his notes wrong but I imagine no one in his camp has any confidence that said publication will compose a review that focuses on that which is most important: the bloody music!

It may be petulance or self preservation on his part but I think Morrissey gifted the Guardian (intentionally) this bit of publicity - hence their tweet. Nothing like an old fashioned feud to grab eye balls and pique interest - because aren't you a little bit more curious now to read the Guardian's review? And if there is no review, well, that's what Morrissey wanted. And if it's negative, that's sour grapes and evidence of the Guardian's "anti-moz" agenda; if its positive - well, that's positive. Worst, if it's just meh. So a win win for all involved!

They make it obvious that they have that unusual concern for Morrissey even though that is really unfashionable right now. Lame. Love the new song. "Sound of the 60's." I was there.

It may be petulance or self preservation on his part but I think Morrissey gifted the Guardian (intentionally) this bit of publicity - hence their tweet. Nothing like an old fashioned feud to grab eye balls and pique interest - because aren't you a little bit more curious now to read the Guardian's review? And if there is no review, well, that's what Morrissey wanted. And if it's negative, that's sour grapes and evidence of the Guardian's "anti-moz" agenda; if its positive - well, that's positive. Worst, if it's just meh. So a win win for all involved!

You could make that very same argument for any newspaper or publication reviewing, but somehow you've attempted to call it a genius move.

So the guardian asked for it... pretty sure they can write their review without the need to listen to it.

Bit silly of his management - The Guardian has a decent amount of readers who won't get to hear about the album?

Print PAMCo Reach Adults 741,000 Daily
15-34 126,000 Daily
35+ 610,000 Daily
PC PAMCo Reach Adults 1,492,000 Daily
15-34 426,000 Daily
35+ 1,059,000 Daily
Mobile PAMCo Reach Adults 3,347,000 Daily
15-34 1,042,000 Daily
35+ 2,270,000 Daily
Multiplatform PAMCo Reach Adults 5,391,000 Daily
15-34 1,560,000 Daily
35+ 3,787,000 Daily
comScore uses TheGuardian.com

Last updated: 20/03/2019

You seriously think Guardian-readers are so uninformed and unaware that they only find out about new music (or films, theatre, etc) through The G's own coverage...?

Peter is part of the foundation of the Smiths/Moz fandom and this Site. For that alone, I won’t disrespect him.

Skinny hates Morrissey for many years and loads lot of shit on him here in every Thread. You don‘t have to tell me I have to respect such a person. He has no right to call Morrissey an arsehole. For sure not on a Morrissey Fansite.

A new low. Donald Trump seems to be an inspiration to him.

not so fast. we have to agree to disagree. the guardian have reached a new low with these antics. this is awful. where does the guardian get the nerve. this is terrible.

Tags
california son info california sun guardian review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom