Grunge YT: "The Really Messed Up Truth About Morrissey" (December 26, 2019)

As the lead singer for The Smiths, Morrissey was an unparalleled lyricist who helped create several timeless classics like "Ask" and "How Soon Is Now?" More recently, he's arguably become more famous for his wince-inducing soundbites than his solo output. Here are some messed-up details about Morrissey. Pro tip, amateur writers! The next time you find yourself plagued by self-doubt, take solace in the fact that your work can't be any worse than Morrissey's debut novel. List of the Lost was published in 2015, hot on the heels of Morrissey's autobiography. The book was was widely panned and endlessly ridiculed for reasons that will soon become all too apparent. In its breathtakingly scathing review, The Quietus wrote that, "What you’re actually looking at is some of the most heinously overblown prose printed by a major publishing house in living memory." Aside from its general awfulness, List of the Lost caught the world's attention thanks to a particularly cringe-inducing scene, one that tried to convey a theoretically steamy lovemaking session. Don't believe us? You should probably savor the passage for yourself. How's this for purple prose? "Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of...violent rotation...and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza's body except for the otherwise central zone." Oooh… is it getting hot in here? No. No, it's not.

How not to write | 0:16
Bigmouth strikes again | 1:25
Morrissey and the Norway attacks | 2:35
Attacking Weinstein's accusers | 3:40
"Margaret on the Guillotine" | 4:40
A notorious interview | 6:04
Civil rights imagery on merch | 7:39
Supporting For Britain | 8:27
The Queen is Dead | 9:41

The usual topics are raised in a hit piece that doesn't really bring anything new to the table.
Regards,
FWD.

Grunge will be remembered as it saved the dying patient "rock music" in the early 90s. I don't know how many people will remember Morrissey's latter-day work from 2009 on?
Mmmm a 40 year career is bound to have some slumps here and there, i love grunge but it barely lasted 9 years...and produced many unmemorable hits, eveb n songs I loved havent stood the test if time whereas Suedehead, Asleep, the more you ignore..., How soon is now are true timeless classics. California Son is a covers album thsts amazing.

Mmmm a 40 year career is bound to have some slumps here and there, i love grunge but it barely lasted 9 years...and produced many unmemorable hits, eveb n songs I loved havent stood the test if time whereas Suedehead, Asleep, the more you ignore..., How soon is now are true timeless classics. California Son is a covers album thsts amazing.

Grunge isn't going to last (or at least it doesn't seem to be at the moment - maybe someone will find something else in it). Right now it's a clothing style & one band (Nirvana) with one song (Smells Like Teen Spirit) & one legend (Kurt & Courtney).

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom