Greg Davies (UK actor/comedian) on Suedehead (the song he wishes he'd written) and Morrissey's current 'beliefs' (April 21, 2023)

Don't know if this has done the rounds yet but it appeared in the NME fairly recently.

The song I wish I’d written​

Morrissey – ‘Suedehead’
“When the song was released [in 1988], I was in a turbulent teenage relationship which I thought was life defining – of course it wasn’t – and I just couldn’t believe that line: ‘Why do you come here/When you know it makes things hard for me?’ I was trying to think of what to say to that girl and this man said had it for me. Morrissey’s known for a florid use of language and an Oscar Wildean turn of phrase, but his cleverness as a lyricist is how he can speak to you so eloquently in so few words. Obviously, he has terrible beliefs now.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible beliefs, or is the author just too lazy to explore what is being said. Morrissey only speaks the truth and I have yet to come across something he has said that hasn’t been spun into simple, lazy groupthink, rallying cries for a mindless sect

Yes! Well done! First praise Morrissey, then make sure that everyone knows you don't agree with his opinions!! Keep it safe, uninteresting and gutless!! BTW, who is this clown?

Greg Davies is another in a long line of mindless idiots, similar to Matt Berninger, in that they both cite Morrissey as a one-time inspiration but then they’re quick to add the disclaimer ‘but that was before he was cancelled and so we can’t publicly love Morrissey now or we’ll be tainted by association’.

It would have been far better for both Davies and Berninger to have kept quiet, rather than offer a lukewarm appraisal of the ‘good ole days’ before Morrissey took a sheep dip to rid himself of all traces of humanity.

The term ‘pariah’ now seems to be exhausted to the point of cliché in articles referencing Morrissey. Jilted fangirls like Davies and Berninger are fools because they epitomise Morrissey’s very words about the obsessive nature of those who can’t let go of their vice-like grip on their hero worshipping:

You hiss and you moan
And you constantly groan
But you don’t ever go away
And that’s because

All you need is me.

The pair of them come across as unnecessary apologists, quick to get across their fawning admiration while cautiously distancing themselves from the spectacle of the witch hunt:

‘But that’s before they went after him with pitchforks.’

Sad acts.

And that’s a shame, because I used to like The National before Matt Berninger morphed into a dish of lime jelly.

Last edited:
Came here to see if the usual suspects were slagging off someone because they don't like their favourite singer any more.

Was not disappointed.
You "came here to see" 🤔 always being here had nothing to do with it then?

horrible beliefs? Nobody knows of what they are. But once the dye is cast I guess. If you want to remain uncancelled that is.

Don't know if this has done the rounds yet but it appeared in the NME fairly recently.

The song I wish I’d written​

Morrissey – ‘Suedehead’
“When the song was released [in 1988], I was in a turbulent teenage relationship which I thought was life defining – of course it wasn’t – and I just couldn’t believe that line: ‘Why do you come here/When you know it makes things hard for me?’ I was trying to think of what to say to that girl and this man said had it for me. Morrissey’s known for a florid use of language and an Oscar Wildean turn of phrase, but his cleverness as a lyricist is how he can speak to you so eloquently in so few words. Obviously, he has terrible beliefs now.”

full
Says the bloke who sexually assaulted a teddy bear.

Last edited:
Regardless, I do love how Suedehead is getting so much publicity recently.

Honestly, when there's trouble in the Morrissey Camp, keep leaning on the great songs. I'd much rather talk about great Morrissey music than boring Morrissey politics.

did i miss something? what are his beliefs? ghosts? love at first sight? hot showers? long comfortable skirts? clean drinking water? a body that works for the most part? having your own thoughts?

To be honest, at this point I don't really take any of these "I love Morrissey, but he has terrible beliefs now, of course" lines seriously. It's like a hail mary for these people. Just a way of signalling: "I know he's problematic, so please don't attack me because his songs are just sooo good!" Sad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom