Greatest Hits or Bona Drag ?

zulu sierra

Born again atheist
I have spare copies of "Greatest Hits" and "Bona Drag"..Which is more appropriate to give as a gift to a friend who has never heard any Moz/Smiths before ?

Now both feature the heavyweights Suedehead , Sunday & Playboys. So the question is between recent hits like Irish blood , first of gang , let me kiss you , you have killed me , the more you ignore me , etc..versus his earlier hits such as Hairdresser , interesting drug , Picadilly , November , will never marry , etc..

All comments are welcome :)

I think I would choose Bona Drag, it being the first album that I heard of his solo work and what prompted me to really get into him. But the Greatest Hits albums does have a little more variety, I suppose. But I feel Bona Drag, even though it's not necessarily a proper album in itself, is still more of a Morrissey staple than Greatest Hits.

Depends how they like their music. If they like heavier, louder stuff then Greatest hits. The remastering allows the songs to be played louder and the variation in tracklists is a lot heavier on the GH side. If they seem to prefer something on the softer side then BD.

Bona Drag!!!!!

Personally I think that they're both very different.

I prefer Bona Drag though

I have spare copies of "Greatest Hits" and "Bona Drag"..Which is more appropriate to give as a gift to a friend who has never heard any Moz/Smiths before ?

Now both feature the heavyweights Suedehead , Sunday & Playboys. So the question is between recent hits like Irish blood , first of gang , let me kiss you , you have killed me , the more you ignore me , etc..versus his earlier hits such as Hairdresser , interesting drug , Picadilly , November , will never marry , etc..

All comments are welcome :)

there is absolutely no debate.
B Drag is 6.3 zillion times better than G Hits.
End of!

It's so hard to me. But I think I give a copy from Greatest Hits, just 'cause it's more pop than Bona Drag - and this factor could be helpful to get "this friend" for Mozzer's Club. I like both albums and Bona Drag contains many good songs, hence it easily could be second choice, anyway. As I've said, it's hard to me.

I'd suggest Greatest Hits for a newbie. It was the first one I bought and it sucked me in. It has a lot of Moz's best material, and it also covers a number of albums so you get a more diverse selection than you would otherwise. Of course, the downside is now I'm scrambling to get all the great songs I missed because I don't really want to buy all the individual albums because I already have 9/10ths of the material I want.

I'm more of a Bona Drag and Louder Than Bombs nut, so I'd rather give those two albums to someone who has never heard of Moz/Smiths before.

They can have both.

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

Eventually he will get both if he likes what I'll give him first. You see I don't believe that he has enough attention span to listen to 2 CD's in one go.

As 'bored' suggested I will go with Bona Drag since my friend is more into softer music rather than rockier tunes.

Last edited:
:lbf::lbf::lbf:

Eventually he will get both if he likes what I'll give him first. You see I don't believe that he has enough attention span to listen to 2 CD's in one go.

As 'bored' suggested I will go with Bona Drag since my friend is more into softer music rather than rockier tunes.

it's not soft music or rockier tunes, or poppiness (whatever that means) that distinguishes the two albums.
it's just sheer songwriting quality. the Bona Drag songs are almost all wonderful. fantastic melodies (vocal and instrumental), sharp lyrics, wonderfully diverse arrangements.
Greatest Hits is ruined by the large number of recent (Quarry onwards) singles. That's How People Grow Up, You Killed Me, See the Boy Happy, All You Need is Me, The Youngest etc; these are all kind of ok-ish, plodding, indie pop at best.
They're in an absolutely different league to the sparkling gems on Bona Drag.

Easy.

bona.jpg
bona-1.jpg

Possibly my favorite Morrissey record. It sealed the deal for me. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom