Greatest bands of all time

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
Who are the greatest bands of all time?

My nominations:
Joy Division
The Smiths
The Clash
The Stooges
Suicide
The Cure

Runners up:
The Doors
The Velvet Underground
The Gun Club
The Ramones
The Jam
Bright Eyes

Last edited:
The Beatles
Pixies
Pretenders
The Ramones
R.E.M.
The Rolling Stones
The Smiths
The Velvet Underground
The Who

Last edited:
Are you folks putting them in order of importance?

Who are the greatest proper bands of all time?

My nominations:
Joy Division
The Smiths
The Clash
The Stooges
Suicide
The Cure

Runners up:
The Doors
The Velvet Underground
The Gun Club
The Ramones
The Jam
Bright Eyes

And what makes them proper greatest?

Surely The Beatles would have to be on there, if we like them or not. If we take in greatest influence over music artists that came during and after.

And what makes them proper greatest?

Surely The Beatles would have to be on there, if we like them or not. If we take in greatest influence over music artists that came during and after.
Same as with the Greatest songs thread. Just play along, for f’s sake.

Use your own taste. You decide. If I meant the most important band in pop music history, I would have said so. But sure, there’s a tad of importance that goes along with it. If you were to claim that a band that released their debut album six months ago was one of the greatest bands of all time, you would be gravely disputed.

Influence/impact on popular rock music …

Big band jazz/blues/Caruso (?)
Elvis, etc
The Beatles, etc
LED Zeppelin,etc
Bowie, etc
Sex Pistols,etc/Throbbing Gristle, etc
Joy Division, The Fall, etc
The Smiths, etc
Stone Roses, etc
Sonic Youth, etc
Pixies, etc.

There’s of course more obscure in their time influencers, such as The Velvet Underground
Captain Beefheart and CAN, that were influenced by more esoteric strands of music and art.

The last band to really make an impact or present something new to rock music is My Bloody Valentine, particularly with their last two albums.

Last edited:
Influence/impact on popular rock music …

Big band jazz/blues/Caruso (?)
Elvis, etc
The Beatles, etc
LED Zeppelin,etc
Bowie, etc
Sex Pistols,etc/Throbbing Gristle, etc
Joy Division, The Fall, etc
The Smiths, etc
Sonic Youth, etc
Pixies, etc.

There’s of course more obscure in their time influencers, such as The Velvet Underground
Captain Beefheart and CAN.

The last band to really make an impact or present something new to rock music is My Bloody Valentine, particularly with their last two albums.
That’s a different thread. 👍🏻

So what do you mean by ‘the greatest proper bands’ ?

What makes them proper?

What makes the greatest?
I mean real bands. Not “projects” with various members/collaborators.

Bands that we who participate in the thread think are really great and, perhaps, of some importance.

Why are you being so anal? Why not just play along. I think you know full well what I meant. After all, you participate heavily in the related thread dedicated to the greatest songs.

What's the definition of 'proper band'?
Clearly, judging by some of the shite listed by some, there's much confusion already. :rolleyes:

Will Westlife (proper boy band) make an appearance, you think?

What's the definition of 'proper band'?
Clearly, judging by some of the shite listed by some, there's much confusion already. :rolleyes:

Will Westlife (proper boy band) make an appearance, you think?
If you were able to read properly, you would know the definition.

And if you love Westlife, feel free to include them.

I have now deleted the word “proper” from the original post, since it confused the Asperger’s clique.

Same as with the Greatest songs thread. Just play along, for f’s sake.

Use your own taste. You decide.

Ok so it’s subjective. Anything goes.

If I meant the most important band in pop music history, I would have said so.
:oops:

But sure, there’s a tad of importance that goes along with it. If you were to claim that a band that released their debut album six months ago was one of the greatest bands of all time, you would be gravely disputed.

Well if we personally think that band is the greatest band of all time, how can it be disputed? I mean, they could disagree all they want, but their criticisms most likely won’t change the way the other feels about a band.

For example, If I stated that I believe the Beastie Boys are the greatest band of all time, and Aubrey disagreed with me, that’s fine. But the Beastie Boys would still be the greatest band of all time, to me.

I have now deleted the word “proper” from the original post, since it confused the Asperger’s clique.
So, not 'proper' bands then, just "bands"...does that also include 'groups', which some people might call 'bands'? All very confusing I gotta say.
I mean Showaddywaddy were called both a group and a band I think back in the day. Were the Smiths a group or band? o_O

Ok so it’s subjective. Anything goes.

:oops:

Well if we personally think that band is the greatest band of all time, how can it be disputed? I mean, they could disagree all they want, but their criticisms most likely won’t change the way the other feels about a band.

For example, If I stated that I believe the Beastie Boys are the greatest band of all time, and Aubrey disagreed with me, that’s fine. But the Beastie Boys would still be the greatest band of all time, to me.
Exactly. Same as with the songs thread.

But maybe I should have specified genre or type of music.

Exactly. Same as with the songs thread.

But maybe I should have specified genre or type of music.
Are you going to change things again and specify genre or type of music? I have a provisional list but want to be sure it fits the (new) criterion.

Are you going to change things again and specify genre or type of music? I have a provisional list but want to be sure it fits the (new) criterion.
It saddens me that Asperger’s isn’t treatable.

Jot down some of the bands you think are the greatest of all time. I’m sure we’ll agree on a number of them.

It saddens me that Asperger’s isn’t treatable.

Jot down some of the bands you think are the greatest of all time. I’m sure we’ll agree on a number of them.
Yeah I reckon you'll like some of these too :thumb::

1. Slade
2. Showaddwaddy
3. Mud
4. Westlife
5. One D’erection
6. The Buggles
7. Hanson
8. Chumbawamba
9. McGuinness Flint
10. Middle of the Road
11. The Archies