Great Sinatra story raises Morrissey question...

Buzzetta

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I am currently reading Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin': The Way You Wear Your Hat by Bill Zehme

Page one of the book began with the following recollection from the Chairman of the Board himself:

"A fella came up to me the other day with a nice story. He was in a bar somewhere and it was the quiet time of night. Everybody is staring down at the sauce and one of my saloon songs comes on the jukebox. 'One for My Baby,' or something like that. After a while a drunk at the end of the bar looks up and says, jerking his thumb at the jukebox, 'I wonder who he listens to?'..."

We know what Morrissey says he has been a fan of through his career. However... when Morrissey himself is in a melancholy mood... or feeling a bit down... what does HE listen to?

Last edited:
The Smiths

You know... that would not surprise me. Privately do you think that he listens to his old material? Or on the other side... I doubt he would ever admit it but do you think he checked out Marr's "Healers" album? I will assume that he has checked out Boz' Polecats CDs and Alain's.

Personally when Moz is down... For some reason I see him still listening to those 60's female singers or given his knowledge of Anka's gift to Frank (My Way- see FOTG2D Video) I could see Morrissey listening to a Sinatra song or two.

You know... that would not surprise me. Privately do you think that he listens to his old material? Or on the other side... I doubt he would ever admit it but do you think he checked out Marr's "Healers" album? I will assume that he has checked out Boz' Polecats CDs and Alain's.

Personally when Moz is down... For some reason I see him still listening to those 60's female singers or given his knowledge of Anka's gift to Frank (My Way- see FOTG2D Video) I could see Morrissey listening to a Sinatra song or two.

I was joking but I think he does, i remember reading an interview years & years ago and the journalist had a peek at Morrissey's tapes and it had the usual stuff...like the new york dolls and james (i seem to remember) and tapes of the Smiths.

yeah, morrissey listening to 60s female singers would prob be the one.

but isn't frank sinatra morrissey's favourite male singer anyway? (I read that recently).

James? That would have had to have been decades ago.

I bet it changed all the time. Morrissey has always been a self-professed music addict, I'm sure that hasn't died down as he's flourished. Remember that NME CD he compiled a couple of years ago? Similar things, I recon, but ever-changing.

I could never stand Frank Sinatra's music. It's so corny and schmaltzy, it's the musical equivalent of a Steven Seagal movie.

But to answer the question, Moz listens to the stuff on his 'under the influence' comp.

I could never stand Frank Sinatra's music. It's so corny and schmaltzy, it's the musical equivalent of a Steven Seagal movie.

But to answer the question, Moz listens to the stuff on his 'under the influence' comp.

just when i thought your opinions on things could not be any worse...you found a way to prove me wrong.

frank sinatra corny? what is wrong with you!?!?!? that's like saying thomas edison was a bum, or that sunlight is a waste of energy. my god....

just when i thought your opinions on things could not be any worse...you found a way to prove me wrong.

frank sinatra corny? what is wrong with you!?!?!? that's like saying thomas edison was a bum, or that sunlight is a waste of energy. my god....

I was holding my tongue... I say all the time that we should be tolerent of other muscial interest and while everyone is entitled to their opinons it is indisputable that Sinatra is the standard of the interpretation of the American Pop Song Book otherwise known as the Standards.

The man's legacy is that of almost an American Icon and there is a reason for that. You can say you do not like the lifestyle he lived or other allegations or even say that his music does not appeal to you. Corny though is a bit much. The man had talent.

As an italian... Im insulted... lol

I was holding my tongue... I say all the time that we should be tolerent of other muscial interest and while everyone is entitled to their opinons it is indisputable that Sinatra is the standard of the interpretation of the American Pop Song Book otherwise known as the Standards.

The man's legacy is that of almost an American Icon and there is a reason for that. You can say you do not like the lifestyle he lived or other allegations or even say that his music does not appeal to you. Corny though is a bit much. The man had talent.

haha, me too! <3 Frank :)

I am going to go one notch up from you and say "every man woman or child who does not like Frank Sinatra should be shot on the spot". :D

You're right...Frank Sinatra is the standard. He is an achetype...alpha and omega...

Back
Top Bottom