Great lyricist

C

Chadwick Fields

There seems to be some obvious omissions from the group of lyricists included on the voting balet. One cannot omitt Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain from such a list simply because of the amount of units they've sold. If the definition of great art is nuances and overstating the obvious, Micheal Stipe stands heads and shoulders above the greater sum of the lyricists mentioned on the list, not to mention goverened his career as such that he has outlasted that same sum. Plus, I don't even want to think of the droves of poets and lyricists that didn't make the list due to lack of exposure or their marginlization, i.e. Vic Chesnutt, Doug Marsht (Built To Spill), and my god, what about Tom Waits?

excuuuuuuuuuse me?

Your drunken rambling fools no one, you have no idea what you are talking about, but its ok, i forgive you, just dont let it happen again "well i saw a bugs life and it did not bug me"

> REM + the others you mention are ok but I would not say they were great lyricists. Also it could be said that the music is strictly for a certain type, i.e. homosexuals. Sorry but its true so don't post loads of abuse I am not trying to be nasty, just honest about my views

pardon?

> There seems to be some obvious omissions from the group of
> lyricists included on the voting balet. One cannot omitt Michael
> Stipe and Kurt Cobain from such a list simply because of the
> amount of units they've sold. If the definition of great art is
> nuances and overstating the obvious, Micheal Stipe stands heads
> and shoulders above the greater sum of the lyricists mentioned
> on the list, not to mention goverened his career as such that he
> has outlasted that same sum. Plus, I don't even want to think of
> the droves of poets and lyricists that didn't make the list due
> to lack of exposure or their marginlization, i.e. Vic Chesnutt,
> Doug Marsht (Built To Spill), and my god, what about Tom Waits?

Did you say kurt cobain?.....that man couldnt speak let alone make a complete sentence.A mumble here and a mumble there and people think he's the greatest.

WHAT?!?!?!

And yet, you're a Morrissey fan?

Are you gay?

If not, then why do you bother to listen to Morrissey (if we're going to go by your "rules")?

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this, but there you are.

> There seems to be some obvious omissions from the group of
> lyricists included on the voting balet. One cannot omitt Michael
> Stipe and Kurt Cobain from such a list simply because of the
> amount of units they've sold. If the definition of great art is
> nuances and overstating the obvious, Micheal Stipe stands heads
> and shoulders above the greater sum of the lyricists mentioned
> on the list, not to mention goverened his career as such that he
> has outlasted that same sum. Plus, I don't even want to think of
> the droves of poets and lyricists that didn't make the list due
> to lack of exposure or their marginlization, i.e. Vic Chesnutt,
> Doug Marsht (Built To Spill), and my god, what about Tom Waits?

That's a great way to start a sentence: "If the definition of great art is nuances and overstating the obvious...". It doesn't make sense and it's a daft definition of great art. So your whole message is useless. Why not shut up for a bit, and maybe come back when you've got something coherent to say?

> That's a great way to start a sentence: "If the definition
> of great art is nuances and overstating the obvious...". It
> doesn't make sense and it's a daft definition of great art. So
> your whole message is useless. Why not shut up for a bit, and
> maybe come back when you've got something coherent to say?

At least he offers interesting and challenging points of view rather than just coming here to bitch. Why don't you shut up and don't come back at all

> At least he offers interesting and challenging points of view
> rather than just coming here to bitch. Why don't you shut up and
> don't come back at all

You've just done what I did, you dope. All you did was moan at me. I think that's okay, but according to your own rules you should piss off, too.

But fair enough, I suppose I should do my bit. Here is my interesting and challenging point of view: If having a square head is the definition of great art then we should worship Lou Reed.

Or how about: If being vapid and sly is the definition of great art then maybe Sting is worth bothering about.

How's that then? Personally I can't see the point of writing such nonsense, but if it's what you want...

No, I said interesting and challenging nit childish and whinging, get lost you loser.

Re: pardon?

> Did you say kurt cobain?.....that man couldnt speak let alone
> make a complete sentence.A mumble here and a mumble there and
> people think he's the greatest.

And ditto Michael Stipe - the notorious mumbler and incoherent lyricist. The man who sang 'everybody hurts', (WOW what a profound observation!), and most ignominously sang 'Shiny Happy People' with Cindy from the B52's. Cindy I can forgive, as the B52's always had a great sense of fun and irony - but Stipe that self obsessed over-hyped non-entity. One day the people will know what a false prophet this man is! Anyway he doesn't care if he's not regarded as a great lyricist, he just wants everyone to know what a big schlong he has as mentioned in the Time Out interview from two years ago. As far as I'm concerned, Mr Stipe is a very big prick indeed. As for Cobain, he was the male Marilyn Monroe!

> No, I said interesting and challenging nit childish and
> whinging, get lost you loser.

that should be not obviously (not nit unless my keyboard has a strange accent)

Re: pardon?

> Did you say kurt cobain?.....that man couldnt speak let alone
> make a complete sentence.A mumble here and a mumble there and
> people think he's the greatest.

Song lyrics don't have to be poetry to be good. Cobain's lyrics often sounded like they were off the top of his head, written very quickly...and yet they did resonate strongly with people. He released his feelings in his lyrics very honestly. I would say he was clearly a great songwriter.

> WHAT?!?!?!

> And yet, you're a Morrissey fan?

> Are you gay?

> If not, then why do you bother to listen to Morrissey (if we're
> going to go by your "rules")?

> I can't believe I'm actually replying to this, but there you
> are.

I know, i was this close to posting when i read your reply. Why bother? Michael Stipe's & Morrissey's lyrics are hardly specific to any sexual preference. blaa blaa..

hnia

agreed

> Song lyrics don't have to be poetry to be good. Cobain's lyrics
> often sounded like they were off the top of his head, written
> very quickly...and yet they did resonate strongly with people.
> He released his feelings in his lyrics very honestly. I would
> say he was clearly a great songwriter.

He found his own way of writing. No one can take that away from him.
And for all of those people who hate michael stipe because of the image you've deduced from a magazine, in his defense Stipe has written a least one hundred other songs than everybody hurts and shiny happy people.

hnia

> You've just done what I did, you dope. All you did was moan at
> me. I think that's okay, but according to your own rules you
> should piss off, too.

> But fair enough, I suppose I should do my bit. Here is my
> interesting and challenging point of view: If having a square
> head is the definition of great art then we should worship Lou
> Reed.

> Or how about: If being vapid and sly is the definition of great
> art then maybe Sting is worth bothering about.

> How's that then? Personally I can't see the point of writing
> such nonsense, but if it's what you want...

He wrote more than just one sentence.

hnia

> that should be not obviously (not nit unless my keyboard has a
> strange accent)

Do you think I care what you meant to type, after you so efficiently abused me? You must be a very odd person and not too bright.

> He wrote more than just one sentence.

> hnia

Yeah, but it was all based on the silly premise contained in the sentence I quoted. If that one sentence was nonsense - and it was - then the whole message was meaningless.

> Do you think I care what you meant to type, after you so
> efficiently abused me? You must be a very odd person and not too
> bright.

No, no, I am a bright shining star. Of course you care what I think if you bother to answer, admit it you love coming here to see what my latest thoughts are as I do yours darling. Anyway you love efficient abuse, see ya!

Half the Time, I Can't Even FIGURE OUT Stipe's Lyrics! (nm)

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah....

LEONARD BERNSTEIN!!!!

Re: Half the Time, I Can't Even FIGURE OUT Stipe's Lyrics! (nm)

> Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah....

> LEONARD BERNSTEIN!!!!

What???? oh you poor man I had'nt realised up to now that you are handicapped in this way, what is it some sort of organic brain disfunction???

Back
Top Bottom