Granted, This Is A Minor Quibble, But Nevertheless...

He's always represented himself as such a loner, an outcast, an individual, that to hear him use "we" just sounds wrong to me.

maybe it's another self-preservation thing, like "Im OK by myself". i think its just fun, since he DOES represent himself as that type, so to say WE is a bit of a twist. maybe he's just hinting at his multiple personality disorder.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha yes..... but we sang the song 5 years ago...... yet Rovers still bought him 6 months ago:eek:!!!! Is he still there?

luckly big sam booted him out when he came, he was just there for the money really.....Paul Ince(thats now a swear word in blackburn) was all for "jobs for the boys":p

I hear this song and I think the person who was good in his time is himself and the message is coming from the fans.

Same thing with We Hate It...
It's about him.. not by him.

I think so too

Post away to your heart's content Comtesse...

One of the reasons I come here is to study the minutiae of Morrissey so, to me, this is an interesting point.

Sorry to be confrontational but comments like 'you have too much spare time' or whatever, are a little insensitive, given that this is exactly the sort of thing Morrissey would obsess about with Oscar Wilde, Jobriath etc.

Anyway, I think that Moz is using the 'royal' we when he writes in this way... just my theory

It was only a joke, dear.

He's TWO PEOPLE.

It was only a joke, dear.

I know, I know...

It's just that she said she was depressed and I thought... aaaah...

...well I'm very sensitive you know:o

That's quite common in (Northern) England, it's only meant to meant one person. Mad, I know.

I'm a true northerner and have used "us" to mean "me" from the day I started to started to talk. The thing is, I've never actually thought I was saying "us", it's just a weird word we use, its more uz than us with the u sounding a bit like an a! Hard to explain, whatever it means me!

I know, I know...

It's just that she said she was depressed and I thought... aaaah...

...well I'm very sensitive you know:o

And you're right - I had to walk away from the computer when I read that because I'm too sensitive. If only it were a joke to me...

Exactly. People say "Give us a kiss". They do to me anyway!!

that always confused me. when I was younger and saw "A Hard Day's Night." that part where they are on the train and John says "give us a kiss!" and i was like "us??" and then i listened to Morrissey and he did that. then I saw people saying it on here. then I realized it was some British thing.

The "us" in this context is deliberate - a lot of people in the UK say 'us' instead of 'me'. Granted, most of them are fairly uneducated, but this fits in with Our Frank.

E.g. "Give us a copy of The Sun please, mate"
"Give us a pint of Tennents"
"Give us a minute"

Aye, I've never paid much attention to when he says it in Our Frank because of that.

he probably married himself

:D

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8c72qBr0HA&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8c72qBr0HA&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8c72qBr0HA&feature=related

Sparks - I Married Myself
I married myself
I'm very happy together
I married myself
I'm very happy together

I married myself
I'm very happy together
Long, long walks on the beach, lovely times
I married myself, I'm very happy together
Candlelight dinners home, lovely times

This time it's gonna last, this time it's gonna last
Forever, forever, forever

Last edited:
I feel that in You Were Good In Your Time he's singing on behalf of himself and the fans... so "we" is appropriate.

Similarly, with Nobody Loves Us I always felt he was singing from the point of view of the band, perhaps, or even the Morrissey "community" as a whole...

the Mopey Pop Guild

:D I love that *nicks*

I like to think of it as We=He and Us. He can't be "in it" all alone ;) Us either. He can usually speak for me, tis why I love & relate to him.

Comtesse, post to your heart's content. We've missed you, I hope you're doing better. :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ArGgggTX2o8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ArGgggTX2o8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a romantic. I like to think he's a "we" because since he loves himself so much he's figured out how to turn someone else into him and vice versa.

Has anyone noticed that when he sings Lucky Lisp he sings "The saints smile shyly down on meeeeeeeeeeeyoooooouuuuuuuuu."????

Morrissey is a "they." He's two people.

Tags
lyrics
Back
Top Bottom